Author Topic: Embiid for our own 2015 pick?  (Read 9917 times)

Re: Embiid for our own 2015 pick?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 09:53:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Healthy Embiid is probably a better prospect than every player in this draft (including Okafor).

Our pick will likely end up 5th or something.  So yeah, I'd obviously do this.

I'd like to hear your estimation of the probability that Embiid is healthy instead of banking on the best-case scenario happening.

http://articles.philly.com/2014-07-17/sports/51607941_1_joel-embiid-sixers-southern-california-orthopedic-institute

By his own estimation, Ferkel has done between 20 and 30 navicular-fracture surgeries, and in terms of the injury's severity and the patient's likelihood for a full recovery, he said that Embiid's situation was far from the worst of those.

"Once he's fully healed, his chances of having a long career are very good," Ferkel said in a phone interview. "There's no reason he shouldn't have a great NBA career and be very successful. Once this heals, hopefully this won't be an issue for him in the future."

"It's certainly possible that he could come back this season," Ferkel said.

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 10:42:37 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I say do it. I'd rather take the chance now with Embiid than hope that the C's get a franchise big in the lottery year after year after year. The Celtics do have the assets to entice Philly (The one drawback is Phillys in our division so they either are going to ask for more from the C's than other teams who might be interested or they won't even discuss it with DA), and if he sucks, so be it. The Celtics have plenty of time rebuilding with an ocean of picks.

It's not every day someone who once had the label "Potential Superstar" has diminishing value. Plenty of counterarguments will come my way when I say this I know that but as the 2 issues Embiid has with health and attitude. I think of 2 players:
1. Injuries: Blake Griffin blew out his knee his rookie year and there were many concerns that they were going to be an issue his whole career. Look what's happened since then.
2. Attitude: Zach Randolph is a great talent but was incredibly troubled in his early career. He badly failed in Portland, got even worse in New York, and got even more worse on the Clippers. Then he got traded to Memphis and all the sudden, everything changed. Now he's a key cog on a legit contender.

I know Embiids different from those two but you can't help but think of the potential he has as a player. If the opportunity arises, I say get Embiid. Better to think "Oh well" than to think "What if"

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 11:03:06 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
sorry i cant imbed pix, but click on this link to SoSH and scroll way down. it shows embiid now and in kansas. judging from the recent pix, he is NOT overweight. there is also interesting talk about the 300 pounds as not accurate and being denied.

maybe the early report in this thread was wrong.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/topic/86361-nba-2014-2015-game-thread/page-12
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 11:09:13 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
When I started this thread, I purposefully did not want to wait until our draft position was settled so that both teams would have a certain amount of risk. Our risk will always be that Embiid is damaged goods. Their risk is that they might wind up with the 7th pick. If we wait until our position is determined, we will still have the risk but Philly will simply not do the deal if they are getting the 7th pick.

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 11:15:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Embiid isn't going anywhere.  We have a better shot at getting Noel, who isn't half the player Embiid will be.

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 11:22:42 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Embiid isn't going anywhere.  We have a better shot at getting Noel, who isn't half the player Embiid will be.
[/quote

It really depends where they'll draft

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 11:51:42 PM »

Offline Whetzell

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
If Philly drafts a Center which at this point it's likely maybe they would trade embiid.

Then they can have something like:
Okafor
Noel
Saric
Wroten
D'Angelo Russell

They can probably still get value for MCW also

That's a pretty scary roster that makes more sense with Embiid off of it.

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 02:43:14 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't know the details of the particular problem with Embiid's back, but Sully also had back surgery and he seems fine. Dwight Howard had back surgery and he is now back to form. I leave this up to the doctors to evaluate.

It isn't like we are talking about disintegrated joints.

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:45 AM »

Offline Havlicek

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
If Embiid is as good as some of you say, Philly would never trade him. It would make sense for them to trade their pick this year or Noel. If in the near future they are shopping him then somethings not right.