Author Topic: Embiid for our own 2015 pick?  (Read 9881 times)

Re: Embiid for our own 2015 pick?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 04:10:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A trade like that wouldn't happen until after the lottery is drawn and the draft order is set.

That's why it's hypothetical. It depends where the Celtics and the Sixers land.

The way OP phrased it, it sounds like an idea for a trade before the deadline.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 04:40:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Healthy Embiid is probably a better prospect than every player in this draft (including Okafor).

LB you crack me up man.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 04:50:23 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Healthy Embiid is probably a better prospect than every player in this draft (including Okafor).

LB you crack me up man.

It's true though. A healthy Embiid is a better prospect than Jahil and Karl Towns. To put it this way If Embiid stayed an extra year and played well, than I can easily see him taken number one due to his defensive and offensive potential.

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 05:55:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
What ever the Celtics do.  ...will be wrong ...just the way the stink flys :-X

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 06:14:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

LB you crack me up man.

It's true though. A healthy Embiid is a better prospect than Jahil and Karl Towns. To put it this way If Embiid stayed an extra year and played well, than I can easily see him taken number one due to his defensive and offensive potential.

It's definitely true. The only problem is the condition of health, which just so happens to be the hardest part.

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 06:20:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

LB you crack me up man.

It's definitely true. The only problem is the condition of health, which just so happens to be the hardest part.

Embiid had one half season of elite college play. He definitely has some amazing raw skills, but who is to say he wouldn't have his stock go down if he had stayed in this year and played against more elite centers? How much did playing with an elite talent like wiggins help him out on both offense and defense?

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 06:54:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bad feet and bad backs scare me.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 07:11:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We all knew he was going to be out for the year so I don't know why anybody's opinion of him would have changed. If he was going to be the next Hakeem in June, then there is no reason to believe that he still isn't going to. Unless we get the #1 pick, it seems like a pretty easy decision.

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 07:24:38 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

LB you crack me up man.

Embiid had one half season of elite college play. He definitely has some amazing raw skills, but who is to say he wouldn't have his stock go down if he had stayed in this year and played against more elite centers? How much did playing with an elite talent like wiggins help him out on both offense and defense?
Wiggins didn't play at an elite level in college and the Kansas guards were pretty mediocre.  Embiid made that Kansas team a contender.  Without him, they couldn't even make the sweet 16.  Embiid definitely has raw skills but he developed very quickly in a half season.  Going from an unknown to the probable #1 pick before his injuries.  If he'd returned to college, everyone else would have been fighting for #2.

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
We all knew he was going to be out for the year so I don't know why anybody's opinion of him would have changed. If he was going to be the next Hakeem in June, then there is no reason to believe that he still isn't going to. Unless we get the #1 pick, it seems like a pretty easy decision.
i believe the point on health is referring to a fear that embiid winds up closer to the next sam bowie or oden than to the next hakeem.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yeah, I would.

Worth the risk.

Like others have mentioned, even with the conditioning and injury risks, Embiid has more potential than anyone we'd pick up with our draft pick.

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 08:30:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
i believe the point on health is referring to a fear that embiid winds up closer to the next sam bowie or oden than to the next hakeem.

True, and this is not to say that people didn't have their doubts before the draft - many thought he would drop to the Cs at number six. I guess what I should have said is everybody who believed in Embiid before the draft should still have the exact opinion of him. Other than Okafor, their don't seem to be any definite cornerstones in this draft and if Ainge was going to take Embiid last June, then he shouldn't have any problem trading a, say, #5 pick for him.

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 08:39:49 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Don't we already have an overweight big? No thanks. Rather take a chance on Towns or WCS with the pick
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 09:30:48 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Bad feet and bad backs scare me.

1,000 times this. Embiid has great potential but he's as raw as they come. He had 1/2 of one good college season. That's it. Ok, that's enough to take a risk on him.

But add in the injuries and I'm running scared. Back and feet injuries have derailed many NBA careers and to see this guy have two of them in a year? That's either horribly bad luck or the start of a very unfortunate pattern. Is this guy the next Greg Oden? I don't make that move unless two things happen:

1. I have every team doctor in the world telling me that these injuries won't be chronic.
2. I have the pick top 5 protected this year and top 3 protected next year.

As far as him being better than any of the picks this year, that's a pretty large leap of faith at this stage. If he can't get on the court, he's not any better than I am. :)
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

LB you crack me up man.

I thought the consensus was that Embiid got better every time he played.  He was showing all the signs of being a superstar.  And apparently in pre-draft workouts he blew everyone away to the point that people were saying he was a lock for #1... that was until he got injured.

The injury is scary, but I think people are too anxious to compare him to Greg Oden and others who had failed.   That's why he fell to #3, though...  If there hadn't been a Greg Oden prior to Embiid, Embiid probably goes #1 in spite of his injury.  He was that highly thought of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvUuag32OZE

I'd trade the pick for him.  In another thread I even said I'd move Marcus Smart + the pick (top 3 protected).   Superstar center prospects are what you build championships around.  They are rare.  This one can play on both ends of the court.