Author Topic: Embiid for our own 2015 pick?  (Read 9921 times)

Embiid for our own 2015 pick?
« on: January 20, 2015, 02:39:35 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Given Philly's supposed dissatisfaction with Embiid, I'm just throwing this out there for discussion: Embiid for our own 2015 pick and an expiring contract. I'm well aware of the alleged weight gain and I'm not sure either team would do this deal but it is an enticing proposition.

Re: Embiid for our own 2015 pick?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Philly is dissatisfied with Embiid?

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 02:43:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Didn't know they were not happy .  ...they could have taken somebody else ...since they already had Nerlins.   And Noel deserves to play before Emiid.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
The major issue is conditioning and to his commitment to basketball. Some people say he weighs 300 pounds. He says that he weighs 275. There is definitely a conflict with the training staff but whether that extends to senior management is hard to determine but there may be something that the Celtics can exploit.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Start him with Sullinger to give opposing team a veritable Battle of the Bulge :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A guy with major injury problems who can't control his weight sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 03:01:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I'd do it in a hearbeat if Embiid is healthy, because he's got a much higher ceiling than anyone in this draft.

At the same time, under those conditions why would Philly trade him to us for our pick?

If Embiid is healthy, I could only see one scenario where this would work: they're high on one of the other prospects, too.

If they pick Okafor with the first pick and we're slotted in at pick 3, I could see them trading us Embiid for something like Sully/KO and the third pick. This way they could probably pick up Mudiay to add to their core of Noel, Okafor, Saric, and Mcdaniels.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
A guy with major injury problems who can't control his weight sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Yeah....I sense a Brooke Lopez plague of issues lurking and a Hint of Fab Melo mentality seeping out .

His career maybe short .....but if the Lakers get him ...they'll make another Bynum out of him , ride him till he falls apart at 25 ,  get a couple championships .

If Celtics get him.....just a huge bust......  It is written

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
I'd do it in a hearbeat if Embiid is healthy, because he's got a much higher ceiling than anyone in this draft.

At the same time, under those conditions why would Philly trade him to us for our pick?

If Embiid is healthy, I could only see one scenario where this would work: they're high on one of the other prospects, too.

If they pick Okafor with the first pick and we're slotted in at pick 3, I could see them trading us Embiid for something like Sully/KO and the third pick. This way they could probably pick up Mudiay to add to their core of Noel, Okafor, Saric, and Mcdaniels.
I like the idea of substituting Olynyk for an expiring contract. He works cheap and has some upside left which might entice Philly when combined with our own pick. Good idea.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

And worth taking a risk for.  ;)

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:39:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A trade like that wouldn't happen until after the lottery is drawn and the draft order is set.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
A trade like that wouldn't happen until after the lottery is drawn and the draft order is set.

That's why it's hypothetical. It depends where the Celtics and the Sixers land.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 03:51:45 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think it depends on our pick. I rather gamble and see if the lottery falls in our favor. Because I want Okafor...desperately

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Healthy Embiid is probably a better prospect than every player in this draft (including Okafor).

Our pick will likely end up 5th or something.  So yeah, I'd obviously do this.

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Healthy Embiid is probably a better prospect than every player in this draft (including Okafor).

Our pick will likely end up 5th or something.  So yeah, I'd obviously do this.

I'd like to hear your estimation of the probability that Embiid is healthy instead of banking on the best-case scenario happening.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference