Author Topic: chance and no chance in the West  (Read 2807 times)

chance and no chance in the West
« on: January 19, 2015, 07:01:38 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Chance: 

Spurs
Grizzlies
Warriors
Thunder

No chance:

Trailblazers:  not deep enough
Mavs:  not deep enough
Clippers:  not deep enough
Houston:  not good enough

These no chance teams should make trades if they want to have a chance
this year.  If they are content to have a good year and make the playoffs
and win a couple games, then just stand pat and hope for a good or great offseason.

Re: chance and no chance in the West
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:17:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Mavs bench is pretty bad... lacking scoring and defense.  They should consider moving Rondo at the deadline for some depth.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Mavs bench is pretty bad... lacking scoring and defense.  They should consider moving Rondo at the deadline for some depth.

Oh Shut up that was a good trade for them for their future and therefore a good trade generally since they had no chance before the trade either, better depth but not good enough depth.  The Warriors second team is:  Speights, David Lee, Iguodala, Barbosa and Livingston. 

The problem isn't that the Mavs aren't good.  They are a great offensive team.  I'm sure they won't trade any of their starters this year but I hope they don't think they can go all the way this year.  Don't know what their offseason might look like but maybe they can add something for next year and one last run with Dirk.  If I were them I'd explore trading Parsons...but probably no good trades out their worth doing.  And too much turnover can make things difficult. 

I'm sure most of the no-chance teams I listed above harbor no illusions that they can take down the chance teams.  Except maybe the Clippers.  I think the Clippers believe they have a chance.  Nope.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 07:02:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Way to early to discount any of those teams. 

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 08:22:20 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

This.  Both conferences are wide open.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think the only thing Dallas needs to contend is a solid backup C

Barea/Harris/Aminu/Jefferson/Charlie V isnīt the worst bench for the 1-4 spot

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 12:52:42 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

I don't think so at all.  We've watched the same basic teams in the West now for multiple years and except for Golden State there has not been enough change to displace the Spurs, Thunder or Grizzlies. I'm not saying there won't be any upsets in the first or second round.  Just saying that ultimately the Western Confeence champion is almost guaranteed to be one of those 4.  Even minor injuries can induce upsets, so injury is a constant factor.  So this thread is more about if all the teams are healthy what will happen.

The Spurs can't go anywhere without K. Leanord, for example, nor Golden State without Curry and on and on...

I think it's very different in the East, which at the moment is truly wide open.  I don't see any clear tiers except that at the moment Atlanta is the best team.  In fact until Atlanta has an injury I'd say they've earned the right to be the East favorite.  But Lebron could still right his ship and take over..

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I don't think so at all.  We've watched the same basic teams in the West now for multiple years and except for Golden State there has not been enough change to displace the Spurs, Thunder or Grizzlies. I'm not saying there won't be any upsets in the first or second round.  Just saying that ultimately the Western Confeence champion is almost guaranteed to be one of those 4.  Even minor injuries can induce upsets, so injury is a constant factor.  So this thread is more about if all the teams are healthy what will happen.

The Spurs can't go anywhere without K. Leanord, for example, nor Golden State without Curry and on and on...

I think it's very different in the East, which at the moment is truly wide open.  I don't see any clear tiers except that at the moment Atlanta is the best team.  In fact until Atlanta has an injury I'd say they've earned the right to be the East favorite.  But Lebron could still right his ship and take over..

Interesting way to look at it, that these teams haven't moved the needle enough. 

That said, there is something to be said for chemistry too, which is why I think despite the lack of roster change a team like Portland will be very dangerous in the playoffs.  For example, I think over the last 18 months Lillard has surpassed Paul as a pg. 

The other team, one that did make some changes, is Houston.  In addition to replacing their only swingman (Parsons) with three (Ariza, Brewer, Smith)--- Harden has been slowly taking over the league this year.  In my opinion, he's the leading MVP candidate.  On top of all of that, they some how found gold with this Donatas dude, who I swear looks like a better player than Howard a lot of the time...

I predict a Washington vs. Houston NBA Final this year.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 01:11:47 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Agreed. And their the favorites to add Jermaine O'Neal to help with big man depth and they should be players for any buy out candidates.

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 12:19:17 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Agreed. And their the favorites to add Jermaine O'Neal to help with big man depth and they should be players for any buy out candidates.

Good point about buyouts.  They'll need one or two real good ones including that center you mention. Then I could see giving them a shot.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 12:23:28 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Interesting way to look at it, that these teams haven't moved the needle enough. 

That said, there is something to be said for chemistry too, which is why I think despite the lack of roster change a team like Portland will be very dangerous in the playoffs.  For example, I think over the last 18 months Lillard has surpassed Paul as a pg. 

The other team, one that did make some changes, is Houston.  In addition to replacing their only swingman (Parsons) with three (Ariza, Brewer, Smith)--- Harden has been slowly taking over the league this year.  In my opinion, he's the leading MVP candidate.  On top of all of that, they some how found gold with this Donatas dude, who I swear looks like a better player than Howard a lot of the time...

I predict a Washington vs. Houston NBA Final this year.

Yeah I see what you're saying about Houston.  I do think they're a bit of a wild card.  But I don't think they're organized enough to take down the Warriors or Spurs.  Memphis I also think will be too tough with Tony Allen shutting down Harden (backed up by Courtney Lee).  Ok. City I predict will prove me right and get it together and be elite...just a prediction though.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 12:34:11 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Ha ha ...T BaLL TIm ....will have to pack his bags and move too......too funny ....chasing his boy

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 12:39:07 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Not convinced by Houston or the Clippers.

I think Houston's offense is unhealthily reliant on James Harden to keep things ticking over for them. Lack diversity in offensive options and will come undone by strong defensive teams in the playoffs. I think the Clippers lack athleticism and defensive quickness on the perimeter especially at the wing positions. I think they have the wrong type of supporting cast in place for CP3, B.Griffin and D.Jordan.

Both Houston and the Clippers can be title-contenders in near future. They have the big pieces in place ... just the wrong supporting pieces around them.

I think Dallas will be a contender. Need to fill backup C slot but I expect they will do that. Their starting five is terrific and they have some decent bench options one through four. Portland have been playing very well. They might be putting their name in the mix too. Could be 6 teams with genuine title hopes in the West.

I think Golden State, Memphis and San Antonio are the class of the West.

I'd put Oklahoma a shade behind them and in line with Dallas and Portland. I think OKC's grip on the West is slipping. They seem to becoming desperate in trade market. Something needs to change there. Another team whose supporting cast doesn't feel quite right for it's stars.