Author Topic: Deandre Jordan a Cornerstone for this Team?  (Read 10169 times)

Re: Deandre Jordan a Cornerstone for this Team?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would absolutely give DeAndre the max.

Is it overpaying? Yes, but he isn't signing here for short of the max.

Adding him adds to our talent base without taking away from our pick stash. I think having the base of Smart, Bradley, and Jordan would be enticing for a big time scorer knowing that even if he wasn't the best defender the other 3 could make up for it.

A player like Jordan might be overpaid but I think he could be the Ray Allen to the 08 Celtic's KG. The difference is in this iteration we don't have a Pierce, but we do have a ton of draft picks to continue to improve the team every year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:38 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.si.com/nba/2015/01/16/deandre-jordan-los-angeles-clippers-doc-rivers

SI: What are your top priorities when it comes to weighing your options in free agency?

Jordan: Obviously, great weather. I'm spoiled now. Coming from Texas and living in L.A. I've never had to have a coat.

SI: A lot of guys try to downplay the weather factor. Are they fronting?

Jordan: I think so. I don't want to be freezing every day. But if the team is great, then you have to make a choice. And they have heaters.

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 12:23:50 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

SI: What are your top priorities when it comes to weighing your options in free agency?

Jordan: Obviously, great weather. I'm spoiled now. Coming from Texas and living in L.A. I've never had to have a coat.

Jordan: I think so. I don't want to be freezing every day. But if the team is great, then you have to make a choice. And they have heaters.
'Great' is not an adjective that will be associated with the Celtics anytime soon.

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 12:00:45 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18

I guess I never got out much when I grew up in CT until now, being 24 and going on almost two years living in Alabama. Weather is overrated everywhere if you ask me, especially if I'm an NBA player who spends what, four months at home and eight with the team? And of those eight months with the team how much of that is in warm cities on the road?

If a player chooses not to come to Boston based on weather then I don't mind. Don't want ya.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 12:07:39 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
One nice thing about Jordan as a 7 footer is his durability.  He has some ridiculous streak going where he's started like 200 games in a row.

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2015, 02:04:12 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
If a player chooses not to come to Boston based on weather then I don't mind. Don't want ya.
I still want them. Win them over Danny.

I don't care about defending Boston's crappy weather.

Nevertheless, if Jordan is our cornerstone, we would likely be paying him a ton to be the highest paid player on a bad team. Our current team + Jordan is still a very bad team.

As far as the idea of Bradley, Smart and Jordan enticing a top scorer due to their defense -- maybe if you are talking about AI would will take care of offense while the other 4 players take care of the defense. Bradley and Smart are also not good enough right now to be big selling points for any star. You should at least be an above average starter to be a selling point, and both are below average right now at their positions.

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2015, 02:34:01 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
disagree completely on him being a 'max' player.  to me, a max player is a pretty complete player at both ends of the floor.  Jordan is anything but that on offense. 

I have no doubt he'll be well paid on his next contract but I think the buyer will regret paying him if Jordan isn't that last piece of the puzzle.  we're nowhere near that level and would prefer to sign a more complete player as our first move.

Ehh, he's a max player or close to it.

Jordan, Hibbert, Asik, and Monroe are probably all looking at close to max money this summer id imagine.
Looking for is different from getting. If they sign a max deal, they are a max player by definition. If they do not sign a max deal, they are not a max player.

And how much would their max deals be for? Hibbert & Jordan are in thier 7th year. Monroe and Asik are in their 5th. If you think Asik is as good as Jordan, you sign Asik because his max deal is less than Jordan's max deal. The different between the max for those two groups is 3m in the first year.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

Also, not all max deals are the same for an individual player, who might lose a lot per year in the max deal for a new team compared to the max deal for his own team.

So maybe we should be talking about how much money people are worth instead of getting caught up on the word 'max'. Then we can evaluate if the $ amount is too much.

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 02:35:25 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Just saw a Forsberg article that said the max we could offer would start at 18.4 milliion and escalate into the mid twenties over four years. I do not think he is quite worth  this.
TP for mentioning actual $ amounts instead of just throwing around the word "max"

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 08:43:17 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I wish we would have got him in that trade that was proposed that Stern nixed.   DANG HIM!

It was docs fault wasnt it?

No the original deal had Bledsoe in it along with Jordan. Doc had the Clippers pull Bledsoe (who he ended up dealing later) off the table not Jordan.Jordan was still in the proposal that Stern nixed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:53:36 AM by Depalma2002 »

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
For those who say that the Clippers won't offer Jordan match because they need the money to fill out there bench, if they let Jordan walk, they are still at 56M before team options on Crawford and Barnes. Assuming they pick up Crawford's option and decline Barnes, it puts them at about 61.5M 

So they aren't getting much more than the tax-payer  mid-level exception, so it makes no sense to let Jordan walk. You aren't getting a significant amount of room to build the bench and are sacrificing one of your top 3.

The only concern would be the tax threshold and paying the repeater tax. Given that Ballmer blew away estimates with his bid to guarantee himself the team, I don't think he is the type to be deterred by the tax.

I do agree with those that say that it doesn't hurt to try though. Make your best offer and then move on, if the answer is "No." I would be totally shocked, however, if he is not a Clipper next season.

I do think he is worth a max offer. Is he a complete, two-way player? No. However, he is a game changer on the defensive end and on the boards. He is an elite shot-blocker and an elite defensive rebounder and while, he is limited on the offensive end, he plays within those limitations. Unlike mediocre offensive players who take a lot of bad shots outside of their "zones", he knows his limitations and doesn't hurt the team going beyond them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:58:54 AM by Depalma2002 »

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I like him .  But not sure the team is ready or good enough to attract him to sign .    He'll want to stay will CP3 . 

Also, how would Clippers replace,him?    I think they have to reup. him at all costs.

If CP3 wants him ....enough said .....Doc will do whatever CP3 wants ....without CP3 Doc has no chance of a title team.

I don't see him any easier to attain than Marc Gasol or any other starting Center.   Teams don't give up their big man unless he is hurt or too old .

Best I see Celtics doing in FA. ......maybe Cousins somehow falls out finally with mgmt. .....or trading for one of Phillys center s.......everybody else is a bench Center like Zeller or Asik

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Bill Russell wasn't a complete 2 way player.

I'm beginning to think that Jordan is just as important to their team as CP3 going forward, partly because cp3 is showing a little wear, and partly because a PG is so much easier to replace.  Imagine the Clips with Dragic (7M) instead of CP3.  Now imagine them with CP3 and Jordan Hill (9M).

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
This is my priority.  Meet with him and tell him this is his team, we are going to build around him.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."