Author Topic: Deandre Jordan a Cornerstone for this Team?  (Read 10173 times)

Re: Deandre Jordan a Cornerstone for this Team?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 10:35:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he's the type of player you add after you have at least a couple of cornerstone players in place.

I don't really believe there's this magical order in which to add talent.

I won't be surprised to see Ainge call.

In today's NBA, Jordan is no doubt a max level player and fills the biggest area of need for nearly every team. If he is willing to come to Boston, we should thank our lucky stars.

Kind of my line of thinking.

Not to mention, with the cap set to continuously climb in the near future, a "max" contract now won't be the max in two years.

I'm also inclined to think Ainge would rather spend his chips sooner rather than later and hopes to not spend years fluttering in the lottery.
disagree completely on him being a 'max' player.  to me, a max player is a pretty complete player at both ends of the floor.  Jordan is anything but that on offense. 

I have no doubt he'll be well paid on his next contract but I think the buyer will regret paying him if Jordan isn't that last piece of the puzzle.  we're nowhere near that level and would prefer to sign a more complete player as our first move.   

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 10:44:26 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
he's the type of player you add after you have at least a couple of cornerstone players in place.

In today's NBA, Jordan is no doubt a max level player and fills the biggest area of need for nearly every team. If he is willing to come to Boston, we should thank our lucky stars.

Not to mention, with the cap set to continuously climb in the near future, a "max" contract now won't be the max in two years.

I'm also inclined to think Ainge would rather spend his chips sooner rather than later and hopes to not spend years fluttering in the lottery.
disagree completely on him being a 'max' player.  to me, a max player is a pretty complete player at both ends of the floor.  Jordan is anything but that on offense. 

I have no doubt he'll be well paid on his next contract but I think the buyer will regret paying him if Jordan isn't that last piece of the puzzle.  we're nowhere near that level and would prefer to sign a more complete player as our first move.

Ehh, he's a max player or close to it.

Jordan, Hibbert, Asik, and Monroe are probably all looking at close to max money this summer id imagine.

Edit: This was from Zach Lowe...

Someone will max out DeAndre Jordan in the summer.

It will probably be the Clippers, just because Jordan and Blake Griffin are close, Jordan has become a valuable two-way center, and inertia usually wins. The Clippers could in theory interject themselves into the Durant sweepstakes by letting Jordan walk, getting by with Spencer Hawes for one season, and waving max cap room at Durant in the summer of 2016.

That’s a riskier route, and Jordan will have suitors this summer — even amid a crowded big-man market.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 10:53:38 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
A defensive cornerstone, yes.  An offensive cornerstone, hell no, lol. ;D  Unless of the course all you want out of your big guy is someone with great speed and athleticism, like Doc does, but even then, it's still a no.  If Jordan was a great passer he'd be a potential franchise cornerstone, imo, or would at least be pretty close to it.  Why he hasn't developed on offense is kind of alarming, to me, quite honestly.  Get him a big man coach and see what he can become, preferably a fellow lefty, like Artis Gilmore, in addition to Bill Walton, etc.  Just a thought.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:40 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484

Agreed. Jordan isn't AB - he is a legitimate defensive anchor who gives KO and Sully every opportunity to be who they really are and can absolutely be a top 3 player on a contending team. In today's NBA, Jordan is no doubt a max level player and fills the biggest area of need for nearly every team. If he is willing to come to Boston, we should thank our lucky stars.

ah, i wondered how long it would be before someone managed to take a dig at bradley, even though he has nothing to do with this discussion at all. i wonder if bradley played with CP3 and blake if he'd be taking this heat, he's one of the only people on this team who plays defense and he STILL gets constantly criticized.
and how has jordan fared so far, by the way, at being the 3rd option on the clips? you think they're going to bring in the title this year or next?
he's a solid player, but i've watched him many times and he's not usually as good as he was today, and he's the "anchor" of a team that will ultimately lose because of their defense.
so there's that.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 11:19:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wish we would have got him in that trade that was proposed that Stern nixed.   DANG HIM!

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 12:01:31 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I wish we would have got him in that trade that was proposed that Stern nixed.   DANG HIM!

And I wish that we could have gotten him in that draft that Ainge royally screwed up, lol. ;D  Sigh.

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 12:03:27 AM »

Offline Al91

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I wrote about this the other day elsewhere and as Lowe pointed out, Jordan will be maxed out this summer by someone. I don't see it being the Clippers for the reasons a previous posted mentioned. Even with the impending expanded salary cap I don't see a championship quality roster built with the large scale contracts for Blake, Jordan, and CP3. Their bench stinks as it is outside of Crawford.

With the financial flexibility going forward I absolutely expect the Cs to take a swing at DeAndre in FA. If they don't I'll be surprised. He doesn't necessarily have to be our #1 option/star. He just needs to be attractive enough for other players to follow in FA.

Plus, why not come to the East? The West will remain a gauntlet whereas the East should remain about five to six teams deep for the next couple years. Let me clarify, the West is a gauntlet to make playoffs whereas the East is easy to make playoffs if you're a contender.

I'd love to see the Cs try and use a TE to nab Jordan this year. As constructed I don't believe this Clips team will pass the second round, as usual. That's not to say I think removing Jordan would be beneficial. Obviously they'd take a step back but they're missing serious depth at every position besides SG. Keep in mind, I'm writing this as a Celtics fan so I'd love to see Jordan come to us now, guarantee his stay in Boston in the future, and we send back a TE and maybe Bass in some separate trade. Then let them find backups elsewhere.
Long-form is far from dead, but please refrain from paragraph-laden posts! Who wants to read that?!

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 12:05:59 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

It was docs fault wasnt it?

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 12:43:05 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I guess we disagree on the meaning of a "max player". In theory all of your max guys should be bargains in a sense because the only reason they arent getting more is because they have reached the max. I don think Jordan fits this bill. He is not a 20 million guy who will only get 14-17 (that what the current max for him is right?) because thats the most he can be paid. Hell get 14-17 because I believe that a young center who can jump out of the gym and play great D for the next 5 years deserves 14-17 million, and it turns out that makes him "max".

Now we can disagree on this all day as far as what it means to pay someone max money, but I think Jordan could be worth it because we will still have sufficient cap space in 2016 once Wallace comes of the books. This should allow us to sign a really good player to pair with Smart, Jordan, and whoever we take with our 1sts. Not to mention Sully, Olynyk, and Young

That being said, you make some good points. With Smart already on the roster and arguably the two best wings in the upcoming draft looking better at D than O (Winslow and  Johnson come to mind) we could be going into the future with predominantly Defensive players as our "stars", and not enough cap space to go sign a KD like scorer to go to win these guys struggle. Ideally James Young turns into Harden and we win championship after championship but lets face it that not going to happen.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 02:15:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No he can't help CP3 and Blake get it done. How is he going to help C's who are just developing, be good?

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 10:04:20 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I guess we disagree on the meaning of a "max player". In theory all of your max guys should be bargains in a sense because the only reason they arent getting more is because they have reached the max. I don think Jordan fits this bill. He is not a 20 million guy who will only get 14-17 (that what the current max for him is right?) because thats the most he can be paid. Hell get 14-17 because I believe that a young center who can jump out of the gym and play great D for the next 5 years deserves 14-17 million, and it turns out that makes him "max".

Now we can disagree on this all day as far as what it means to pay someone max money, but I think Jordan could be worth it because we will still have sufficient cap space in 2016 once Wallace comes of the books. This should allow us to sign a really good player to pair with Smart, Jordan, and whoever we take with our 1sts. Not to mention Sully, Olynyk, and Young

That being said, you make some good points. With Smart already on the roster and arguably the two best wings in the upcoming draft looking better at D than O (Winslow and  Johnson come to mind) we could be going into the future with predominantly Defensive players as our "stars", and not enough cap space to go sign a KD like scorer to go to win these guys struggle. Ideally James Young turns into Harden and we win championship after championship but lets face it that not going to happen.

Just saw a Forsberg article that said the max we could offer would start at 18.4 milliion and escalate into the mid twenties over four years. I do not think he is quite worth  this.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
He will never be a good FT shooter so that's always going to be part of the deal.  I'd still take him - and pay him - but a guy like him can pretty much play wherever he wants to and why here?  I think he re-signs with Doc.

Clippers will not have the money to sign him and improve their bench, I don't see the Clippers offering him a max, for the Celts he might be worth it.

With the cap about to go up I expect the Clippers will pay him the max then struggle to fill a bench for 2015-16 after that they and the rest of the league will gain cap space from the increased cap.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 10:22:25 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.  I still think he is an overrated player.  He is a shot blocker.  He is a rebounder.  He is not great defensively.  Somehow, the team is better defensively when he is off the floor.   

He is not worth the max.  He is not a star. 

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 10:25:40 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Those free throws (specifically the air ball) confirms he doesn't belong here, nor is he worth the money. Just like Rondo, if the coach is even considering or has numerous times in the past, taken you out late in the game due to one of your major flaws you are not elite. Even Shaq and Howard can hit free throws better.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 10:57:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think Jordan's value is something we'll just disagree on.  that's fine.  appreciate the civil response.  i do agree on that last paragraph though.  Smart is more D than O.  So is AB.  If we can't get one of the top centers in the draft, then we'll likely grab one of those top SFs but the question is which one.  Not all of them are offensively gifted but better on D.   
while great D is needed to win a title, you still need to outscore the opponent.  I like Young and think Sully/KO on the floor can score however we need someone else that can put the ball in the hoop and my personal preference is to have that solved before I add someone who'll be well-paid in Jordan who's more of a complementary player. 
I see him as a more-athletic/less-physical Perk.  Someone who could anchor the backline of the D but quite possibly need to be pulled at the end of close games due to his poor offensive skills (no, alley oops are not an offensive skill--need the D to be asleep to pull that off) in the half court and his poor FT shooting.  Not arguing that he won't get a lot of money but i wouldn't pay him the max or that close to it.