Author Topic: Deandre Jordan a Cornerstone for this Team?  (Read 10168 times)

Deandre Jordan a Cornerstone for this Team?
« on: January 19, 2015, 06:15:21 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
About 3/4 through this game today, I thought that we should go out and get Deandre Jordan by any means necessary. Then I remembered that he is a ~40% free throw shooter. This makes him a liability at the end of games for sure.

That being said I'd still pursue him hard this off season and I do think he is a max player. In an ideal scenario, we could ink him to the max and then draft one of the wings (Johnson, Oubre, Justice) in the draft.

I think that a core of Smart, Jordan, Oubre/Johnson/Justice along with Young, Olynyk, Sully, Bradley could be fantastic

Smart/ fa point gaurd
Young/Bradley
Top Draft pick/ Crowder
Olynyk/Sully
Jordan/Zeller/2nd draft pick

I'd be happy with that.

What do you guys think?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Re: Deandre Jordan a Cornerstone for this Team?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:20:35 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
He will never be a good FT shooter so that's always going to be part of the deal.  I'd still take him - and pay him - but a guy like him can pretty much play wherever he wants to and why here?  I think he re-signs with Doc.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:24:36 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
He will never be a good FT shooter so that's always going to be part of the deal.  I'd still take him - and pay him - but a guy like him can pretty much play wherever he wants to and why here?  I think he re-signs with Doc.

Clippers will not have the money to sign him and improve their bench, I don't see the Clippers offering him a max, for the Celts he might be worth it.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:49:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
...a guy like him can pretty much play wherever he wants to and why here?  I think he re-signs with Doc.

As mentioned above, Jordan might be too expensive for LA, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him resign. Also,  in LA Jordan plays second fiddle to Griffin and Paul. On the Celtics, he could be the top option. Hopefully Ainge could sell him on that.

To be completely honest, I don't expect Jordan will come to the C's no matter what we offer, but I do think that it is a legitimate possibility, and one that Ainge should follow through on. I think this draft has 3-4 really good center prospects and 3 really good wings. If we can address one of these positions in FA with Jordan that would allow us to address the other in the draft. I would be just as happy getting Butler or Leonard then drafting a center, but I think that is even less likely than signing Jordan.

This way we could (if smart and said wing player from the draft turn out really well) have studs at the 1,3, and 5. Along with a solid cache of role players and potential starters in  Bradley, Young, KO, and Sully. Its also convenient that these four happen to play the 2 and the 4.

And this doesn't even include any of our future firsts. So we could package some of them along with someone like KO or Bradley to get even more talent.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:55:12 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:33:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have been wanting D Jordan on the Cs for years. Doc was VERY smart not to let him go [back to us] when he left for the Clippers. His game has really flourished these last two seasons and he owes a good deal of that to Doc.

If there is any way in the world we can sign Jordan this offseason, we absolutely need to do so. Trade off AB, pair him up with guys like J Butler or Dragic and watch this team take it to the next level. Heck, we would still have Wallace's expiring along with many future firsts to bring in a high end forward.

I am very much looking forward to this offseason.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:38:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I think it's unlikely, but we have to try. If we could land DJ then pick a Johnson type wing in the draft, we could end up with a hell of a defensive core.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 08:16:56 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Would love to bring him here but if there is a shot at Drummond next year I'd go there instead.. First priority is to offer the big contract to Leonard... Remember SA is still a small market team who relies on their players to take home town discounts.. Leonard is young and hungry and may go for the bigger offers..

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 08:26:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
no.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
he's the type of player you add after you have at least a couple of cornerstone players in place. 

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 09:22:40 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
no.

he's the type of player you add after you have at least a couple of cornerstone players in place.

agreed
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 09:23:59 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I don't really believe there's this magical order in which to add talent.

I won't be surprised to see Ainge call.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 09:27:47 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think the Jordan/Griffin combo was a much bigger reason for Doc wanting to go there than CP3.  They'll be giant players for the next decade.  I highly doubt he's giving up on them any time soon.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 10:07:09 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Agreed. Jordan isn't AB - he is a legitimate defensive anchor who gives KO and Sully every opportunity to be who they really are and can absolutely be a top 3 player on a contending team. In today's NBA, Jordan is no doubt a max level player and fills the biggest area of need for nearly every team. If he is willing to come to Boston, we should thank our lucky stars.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 10:29:01 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

In today's NBA, Jordan is no doubt a max level player and fills the biggest area of need for nearly every team. If he is willing to come to Boston, we should thank our lucky stars.

Kind of my line of thinking.

Not to mention, with the cap set to continuously climb in the near future, a "max" contract now won't be the max in two years.

I'm also inclined to think Ainge would rather spend his chips sooner rather than later and hopes to not spend years fluttering in the lottery.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 10:33:03 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Ainge has to at least kick the tires.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird