Author Topic: Celtics (13-25) at Clippers (27-14) Game #39 1/19/15  (Read 48631 times)

Re: Celtics (13-25) at Clippers (27-14) Game #39 1/19/15
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2015, 10:00:21 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I think it's time to trade Sullinger, Zeller, Turner.  Or have them come from the bench

It's like every game we have to comeback from behind.   KO, Bass,Thornton, Smart have to do the dirty work to try to get this team back within 10.  Just start them so you don't get into a deep hole in the 1st place

The Celtics have one of the worst starting lineups in the league regardless of which combination of players they trot out there. They are going to regularly get beat by more talented opponents starting units.

The Celtics also have one of the deeper teams in the league. One of the better bench units. The Celtics 2nd unit should outplay opposing team's 2nd units fairly often.

Throw in games where you have bench players who are coming into games in low pressure situations because team is already in such a deficit and an opposing squad that is often relaxing when holding large leads ... and you have a situation where the bench will likely do very well after starters have done poorly. Giving unfair reflection of individual talents & efforts of respective starters / bench players on Celtics team.

Switch combination of players who start / come off the bench ... and you're probably going to end up with similar results. You are still going to have one of the worst starting lineups in the league and still have an above average bench. Lots of games where starters get outplayed and get team into early deficit and lots of games where bench does well (and better than starters) and outplays opponent while on floor.

I agree, and that's part of the reason why I don't agree with all the disapproval towards Stevens for replacing Prince with Turner (which coincided with Scals statement about LA bringing their starters back in).  It's not Brad's fault that Turner sucks and that our starters are only slightly better than our bench players.

The score was 92-88 when CBS put Turner in @ the 3:16 mark of the 4th. All of their starters had been in at least around the 6 minute mark. We had made about 7 shots in a row b4 Turner was subbed in... we scored 5pts after Turner came in 3fts and a last second bucket by Prince after the game was more than over. So we pretty much didn't score a basket again once Turner got into the game.

It's not Turner's fault, he must have been ice cold after sitting on the bench since the 43s mark of the 3rd Q!

Stevens ruined that run by putting him back in at that moment, the momentum totally changed. The offense had the ball moving around to everyone out there not named Tayshun until Turner subbed in, you could see the offense go stagnant and Turner held onto the ball most of the possessions.

That is on the coach but can be forgiven after a few rants b/c he is still a baby in the NBA.

There's no way to say with any certainty that their starters wouldn't have overcome us at that point regardless of whether or not 1/5 of our lineup changed.

Isn't the fact that the ball ALWAYS seems to get stuck in Turner's hands and kill our offensive flow, once again more of a Turner flaw than a Stevens flaw?

You can say anything could have happened, of course. I'm not saying we would have won the game but it is a fact that we were on a big run and their starters had already been in the game 4 Turner was subbed in.

I never said it wasn't Turner's flaw, I said his play is his fault but it is Steven's fault that he brought him in and our run was immediately ended. You can't bring Turner in after all that time when our other guys were on a run. If you didn't see the game tone shift when Turner came in, that's fine, I'm saying I did and the score and time reflect that.

I was happy when he kept AB on the bench (all of our starters) for as long as he did, he should have let the guys who got us there stay in, win or lose! He has interrupted flow like that a few times during the season, with the starters or bench playing well.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:07:21 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think it's time to trade Sullinger, Zeller, Turner.  Or have them come from the bench

It's like every game we have to comeback from behind.   KO, Bass,Thornton, Smart have to do the dirty work to try to get this team back within 10.  Just start them so you don't get into a deep hole in the 1st place
The Celtics have one of the worst starting lineups in the league regardless of which combination of players they trot out there. They are going to regularly get beat by more talented opponents starting units.

The Celtics also have one of the deeper teams in the league. One of the better bench units. The Celtics 2nd unit should outplay opposing team's 2nd units fairly often.

Throw in games where you have bench players who are coming into games in low pressure situations because team is already in such a deficit and an opposing squad that is often relaxing when holding large leads ... and you have a situation where the bench will likely do very well after starters have done poorly. Giving unfair reflection of individual talents & efforts of respective starters / bench players on Celtics team.

Switch combination of players who start / come off the bench ... and you're probably going to end up with similar results. You are still going to have one of the worst starting lineups in the league and still have an above average bench. Lots of games where starters get outplayed and get team into early deficit and lots of games where bench does well (and better than starters) and outplays opponent while on floor.

I agree, and that's part of the reason why I don't agree with all the disapproval towards Stevens for replacing Prince with Turner (which coincided with Scals statement about LA bringing their starters back in).  It's not Brad's fault that Turner sucks and that our starters are only slightly better than our bench players.
yup, this pretty well captures it.

Yeah, if Brad could play our bench vs. their bench the entire game, we'd all be fine with that.  But let's stop assuming that just because our bench played great vs. 350lb Big Baby and their bench, we needed to keep ours in there.

Turner is unfortunately one of our best players and Brad, unfortunately, isn't wrong to play him 30 minutes (heck he was our leading rebounder with 10).
I just watched the 4th quarter of this game, and I really don't understand the uproar over subbing Turner for Prince, who was playing his 1st game as a Celtic. The next 3 possessions for the C's were a missed heat check 3 by Thornton, a WIDE OPEN 3 for Kelly created by Turner that Kelly missed, and a trip to the free throw line for Turner. In between the Cups stretched out the lead - nothing bad from Turner until that lazy pass to Sully, which was his only TO of the game.

If anything, I'd question why Thornton was taken out of the game not why Turner was put in. A lot of unnecessary hating on Evan IMO.

« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2015, 10:12:17 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

yup, this pretty well captures it.

Yeah, if Brad could play our bench vs. their bench the entire game, we'd all be fine with that.  But let's stop assuming that just because our bench played great vs. 350lb Big Baby and their bench, we needed to keep ours in there.

Turner is unfortunately one of our best players and Brad, unfortunately, isn't wrong to play him 30 minutes (heck he was our leading rebounder with 10).
I just watched the 4th quarter of this game, and I really don't understand the uproar over subbing Turner for Prince, who was playing his 1st game as a Celtic. The next 3 possessions for the C's were a missed heat check 3 by Thornton, a WIDE OPEN 3 for Kelly created by Turner that Kelly missed, and a trip to the free throw line for Turner. In between the Cups stretched out the lead - nothing bad from Turner until that lazy pass to Sully, which was his only TO of the game.

If anything, I'd question why Thornton was taken out of the game not why Turner was put in. A lot of unnecessary hating on Evan IMO.

LOL it's not about Turner!!! It's about messing up the flow of the game with Turner or ANYONE he would have subbed in at the time. We were doing well on both ends and the change hurt. I don't care who he put in, if he put in my favorite Celt AB, I would have been upset!!

I watched it again too and it was different after that sub.

I also want to add, haha and thank you to Deandre Jordan! Happy he was missing those fts but I would still take him in a heartbeat. Our defense would be killer with him and after we get a SF (or when Young is ready).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2015, 10:40:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just to throw this out there for those that choose to cut out sections of nested quotes, could you at least make an effort to keep the tone, comments and authors more or less intact?  I noticed my one line comment in several statements above that show me agreeing with completely different viewpoints because of poor editting. 

for the record, I do agree with Who's comments for anyone who feels like going back and seeing what he originally said.

« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2015, 11:08:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Clippers were ignoring every three that Sully took and almost dared him to take him.    I also noted that Blake ignored Sully and let him shoot it and guarded Bass.

Zeller and Sully were completely handled by their starters.

Big Baby is huge but even at that weight he can run the floor better than Sully.   BBD has almost got to point where he has ate himself out of the league.

« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2015, 01:16:17 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
I can't coach, I apologize to CBS. Do you! I would do much worse than he is.