Author Topic: BOS-CLIPPERS-SACTO (TRADE IDEA)  (Read 2168 times)

BOS-CLIPPERS-SACTO (TRADE IDEA)
« on: January 18, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Doc Rivers wants Tayshaun Prince, and their weakness is at SF.

Ainge attempting to trade Prince before buying him out, and there might be a market out there.

Sacto wants to trade Stauskas for frontcourt help.

Clippers: Tayshaun Prince, 5.3 million exception

Celtics: Derrick Williams, 1.4 million exception

Kings: Hawes (using their Terry exception), Barnes

Clippers lose Barnes, but get a 5.3 million exception that they might use, but not sure if they can use it all this season as they're hard capped, but they do shave 1 million from sending out Barnes,Hawes for Prince.
AND they get out from the Hawes contract that runs through 2017-18. They also save 1 million on buying out Barnes in the offseason.

They own Jordan's bird rights so they can sign him to a max deal, BUT this trade right here gives them the option of creating cap room, maybe roughly 12 million. So that might not be the best but at least it creates a better situation for them going forward. Hawes haven't been good for them.

Celtics get a smaller trade exception and sheds some salary if they choose to waive Williams. But the best for the Celtics would be that this weakens the Clippers and we would love that won't we.

Kings get their frontcourt help they wanted, and almost for free, all it costs them is their exception and Williams who most likely won't be a King next year, they have Rudy Gay as a priority, plus Barnes gives them a boost in the 2nd half of this season. In addition they remain under the luxury tax.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 04:46:21 PM by heitingas »

Re: BOS-CLIPPERS-SACTO (TRADE IDEA)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 04:42:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
like it for the C's but not seeing the appeal for the other teams. 

I don't really see Prince as an upgrade over Barnes and I think Hawes is fools gold for Sac. 

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If all it takes to get Stauskas are players the caliber of Hawes and Barnes, then we should go ahead and try to trade for him ourselves. He hasn't been great, but there doesn't seem like too much of an incentive for Sac to do this deal.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
If all it takes to get Stauskas are players the caliber of Hawes and Barnes, then we should go ahead and try to trade for him ourselves. He hasn't been great, but there doesn't seem like too much of an incentive for Sac to do this deal.

Stauskas wasn't in the trade idea.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
like it for the C's but not seeing the appeal for the other teams. 

I don't really see Prince as an upgrade over Barnes and I think Hawes is fools gold for Sac.

I disagree, the Clippers in addition to saving 5.5m on Hawes in 2015-16 they get a 5.3m TPE they can use to absorb a contract that size on a better player, they can also use it in a sign and trade sine they're going to be under the luxury tax next year. (Cannot use it all I believe this year as they're hard capped)

Plus they also save 1 million on buying out Barnes so the caphit they took from waiving Farmer (2.2 m) is insignificant when they shave that much money. It isn't about what Prince does for them as far as improving them over Barnes, it's only so to create more opportunities to get a better team next year.

They can keep Crawford for cheap as a 6h man, sign and trade or absorb someone with that TPE and sign a new Mid Level contract, in addition to re-signing Jordan. To get rid of Hawes and get someone better has to be good.

As for the Kings, they do stay below the luxury tax after this move. Hawes is actually a good contract for a treadmill team like the Kings, he can't be any good on a team like the Clippers with a bunch of high flyers. He's just been underwhelming for the Clippers, but that has to do with their whole team and not just one player. He's used to the 6th man role and would be a good addition for the Kings.

Plus Barnes is a former King that is a good help for them in the 2nd half of the season.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 09:33:41 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
What about Prince and Freeland to Clippers, Hawes and Barnes to Portland, and we get Robinson and Wright and a 2nd rounder?

Or we could swap Prince straight up for Robinson/Wright?

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 10:39:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I never understand the fascination with Thomas Robinson.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
There's a difference between wanting to upgrade over Barnes and taking any warm body other than Barnes.

Barnes may be a below average starter and an upgrade is definitely needed but Prince doesn't represent an upgrade over Barnes. At best, it is a lateral move of two players who offer different attributes.

Any interest the Clippers have in Prince is likely as vet min bench replacement for Dahnty Jones if/when Prince is bought out.

I really don't see anyone trading for Prince unless it is a team that is going to pay the Celtics something worthwhile to take on a longer term bad contract with Prince's expiring going in the opposite direction. For example, if the Knicks wanted to give up a future first to swap Calderon's deal for Prince's deal.