Poll

If Celtics landed the #1 NBA drat pick, would you trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?

Yes, even though Okafor could be chosen instead
63 (51.2%)
No, I'd rather gamble on Okafor (or other draft pick) rather than trade for Cousins
60 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: If Celtics landed the 2015 #1 draft pick, would u trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?  (Read 64418 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Depends if I have had other moves I knew I could make to make the team a real contender (because just adding Cousins doesn't make it a real contender).  If I knew I could trade some of the other firsts and get a high level wing (like a Paul George), then yeah I make the trade, but if I'm just trading for Cousins and no other moves, then I'm not sure it makes sense to make the trade for a guy with a massive contract, for less years, that is 6 years older, that may or may not have attitude problems, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
there is a 0% chance Danny Ainge would trade the #1 pick as part of a Boogie trade.  none.  Maybe if he it was #4 he would deal it with other players/picks, but if he gets #1 there is no way in hell he would do that deal.

With #1 he would draft Okafor all day long.  only current players he would trade it for would be someone like Durant or ADavis

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Not a question for me, I would do it 100x and not think twice. I understand why some people wouldn't do it.

Cousins is 24, if he was a draft choice in college right now, I don't see how you don't pick him #1. He has matured and he still has room to grow. You heard nothing bad about Cousins this season until he played us.
100% yes!

TP and thank you
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
I'd do it in a heartbeat

I feel like most people mistake him for being a jerk when he really just wants to WIN

You know who else was considered a headache before his tenure in boston? Dennis Johnson (I know, I know, he won before coming here)

The passion and intensity of Smart and Cousins would be so much fun to watch going deep in the playoffs. 

Also, I wish people would get off his case about winning right now. It's hard enough to win when the talent around you is young and scarce. Then you add the fact he plays in the west.

It's not like he's an empty stats guy like SOMEONE I know (looking at you mr. Love)

He's immature and doesn't bring it on both ends. He's a very lazy defensive player and wouldn't confuse him pouting with intensity. Passionate players bring it on both ends of the court and don't take as many plays off as he does.
Maybe this is just immature thinking on my part, but I feel that he is just fed up with that organization.  How would you feel if you wanted to win badly, and as soon as you start winning, the company fires your coach (who you like)?
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I've actually changed my mind on this, although I'm still not 100% convinced now that I WOULDN'T trade the number one pick (being Okafur) for Cousins, but I think I'd rather roll the dice on him at the same age as Smart.
Biggest question for me with Cousins is his defensive impact if he had a decent help defender on the Kings with him.

Here's a great article from boxscoregeeks.com and their argument as to why Cousins isn't a star.
I can't really argue too much with anything they say. Just gotta wonder if the talent is there and if he were coached by Stevens and had a defensive/rebounding PF next to him- what would his ceiling be?

http://www.boxscoregeeks.com/articles/we-agree-demarcus-cousins-isn-t-an-all-star
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline CelticLight

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Hey everyone, first post coming up.  I see alot of users claim that the better bet would be to draft #1 and ride it out rather than a surefire all star in Boogie Cousins, this is a fine position.  This question is difficult to answer but is dependent on how you feel this draft class is, and how you view Boogie.  For me personally I believe Boogie is better than anyone in this draft class, and is better than anyone in this draft class will become.  If I'm Danny I would definitely trade away #1 for Boogie.  Not only do I believe that Boogie is better than anyone in this class, but his addition would attract other big names (MAYBE) which would accelerate the rebuild.  With Cousins and some of our younger guys we would make the playoffs in the weak east, giving our younger guys some confidence and experience which would be huge for them.  There is a chance that one of these kids in the draft class could become DMC, but that isn't a sure thing.  I'd go for the guaranteed stud over the possibility of one.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
Hey everyone, first post coming up.  I see alot of users claim that the better bet would be to draft #1 and ride it out rather than a surefire all star in Boogie Cousins, this is a fine position.  This question is difficult to answer but is dependent on how you feel this draft class is, and how you view Boogie.  For me personally I believe Boogie is better than anyone in this draft class, and is better than anyone in this draft class will become.  If I'm Danny I would definitely trade away #1 for Boogie.  Not only do I believe that Boogie is better than anyone in this class, but his addition would attract other big names (MAYBE) which would accelerate the rebuild.  With Cousins and some of our younger guys we would make the playoffs in the weak east, giving our younger guys some confidence and experience which would be huge for them.  There is a chance that one of these kids in the draft class could become DMC, but that isn't a sure thing.  I'd go for the guaranteed stud over the possibility of one.
One other thing I was thinking about while reading your post was that the rebuild process would go faster with him than developing a new pick.

I normally have tons of patience for a rebuild, but because of the Brooklyn picks, we don't really need to be tanking much after this season.
I trust Danny Ainge

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If we were so lucky, I'd pull a Red circa 1980 and offer the 1 pick for Cousins and Sacramento's top pick. Bet they would bite.  Maybe throw in Sully or Ollie and $$ filler like Wallace to make it work.

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
+1 for making a good point that he would possibly bring in other free agents.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Getting the number one pick is the fly in the ointment. But OK.

The odds of Demarcus Cousins staying in Sacramento are not good. Sooner or later this idiot servant will decide he is being waisted with the Kings. Meaning he will be available for trade in the near future. The question is which team is desperate enough to bite.

Demarcus needs to go to a team with solid veterans, or a good psychologist on staff. Every time I hear him interviewed he sounds balanced, and every time I see him play he implodes.

No doubt about it he is a talented player. I just wonder how he will react to an important game 6 or winner take all game 7. He had a terrible time dealing with Marcus Smart actually playing hard nose basketball.   

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
IMO you take 4 cheap years of Okafor and use the cap room. If the salaries were the same, it would be a tough choice.

In > 50% of drafts, I would take Cousins. But not over a drafted franchise center.

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
A little OT, and forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but Cousins has just brought "revenge is a dish best served cold" to another level. ;D

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2015/01/twitter-reacts-to-demarcus-cousins-exposing-clay-travis-jail-tweet/

This Clay Travis guy deserves every nasty remark he gets in my mind. If you're going to personally attack people from afar for attention, this can happen to you. The internet is forever.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We don't need Boogie..

Danny says we keep n Bass another couple years ..

Oh boy  ;D

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
IMO you take 4 cheap years of Okafor and use the cap room. If the salaries were the same, it would be a tough choice.

In > 50% of drafts, I would take Cousins. But not over a drafted franchise center.

Yeah I agree, if salary was the same it'd probably be Cousins, but the current salary system is stacked so heavily toward rookie deals that you'd have to keep the pick.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Getting the number one pick is the fly in the ointment. But OK.

The odds of Demarcus Cousins staying in Sacramento are not good. Sooner or later this idiot servant will decide he is being waisted with the Kings. Meaning he will be available for trade in the near future. The question is which team is desperate enough to bite.

Demarcus needs to go to a team with solid veterans, or a good psychologist on staff. Every time I hear him interviewed he sounds balanced, and every time I see him play he implodes.

No doubt about it he is a talented player. I just wonder how he will react to an important game 6 or winner take all game 7. He had a terrible time dealing with Marcus Smart actually playing hard nose basketball.   
I'm with you.  Any time he faces adversity he freaks out.  On a better team there will only be more adversity and more freak outs.