Poll

If Celtics landed the #1 NBA drat pick, would you trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?

Yes, even though Okafor could be chosen instead
63 (51.2%)
No, I'd rather gamble on Okafor (or other draft pick) rather than trade for Cousins
60 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: If Celtics landed the 2015 #1 draft pick, would u trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?  (Read 64326 times)

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
At least one post here said "stay away"... onre even suggesting that they wouldnt take Cousins for Bass.

Oh really. The guy that is on the block with no takers and likely worth a second round pick, and is a FA anyway,  and SAC calls for him and says "we'll take Bass and filler for Demarcus'

Oh, gosh, you reply, I'm not sure its worth THE RISK.  Are you kidding me?

I hope that was sarcasm (cause it would have been a good one...but if not.... yikes)

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Has Cousins turned Sacramento into a winner?

They're above .500 this year with Cousins in the lineup, so I'd say yes.  That's even after management fired a good coach and replaced him with Tyrone Corbin.
The Kings are 4-13 since Cousins returned to the line up.

I'm re-bumping this because I'm curious how his defensive stats are holding up that was posted on this thread. Are they still decent even though the Kings have been struggling with Cousins in the lineup?

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
This is a false dilemma. There are a lot of other players C's could trade for instead of Cousins.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
First round picks, even the #1 Pick, are risky.  There is no assurance that a #1 pick is even going to be decent, much less a star.  That is why trading a #1 pick for and established player is a smart move.

Now there is some risk with Cousins too, as with any player, but think how much you know for sure about Cousins that you don't know about the #1 pick.  Yes, he is a knucklehead (although he has not been arrested in the last 5 years) and he has some trouble controlling his emotions on the court but doing what he has shown he can do at age 24, that is way better value than some promising 18 year old who has never played an NBA game.

I think this is a hypothetical trade that will never come close to happening for a number of reasons but yes, just like Cle was willing to trade Wiggins for Love, I would be willing to trade the next #1 crapshoot of a draft pick for Cousins.

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
   Okafor is a pretty safe pick at number one, and not a headache.  I think there's .0000001% chance we get the number one pick though.

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
I do not know.  In another post I stated I would not trade for Boogie Cousins because I thought he was too much of a head case and his attitude would be a problem.

I am changing my mind.  I see more KG in him than before.  When I watched him earlier this season, he was a total head case.  Not putting forth the kind of effort you would want.  However, I have watched him more recently and the dude is a beast inside.

Also, I do believe Boogie needs the Celtics fans who will immediately start supporting him like Boston fans do with their players.  That "New England/Boston go 'F' yourself, he is our guy and we love him" attitude might be the missing piece that makes Boogie see that he can play ball and not worry about the other issues he has had.

I loved his tweet to the sports writer who claimed he would be arrested in 5 years.  Very KG. 

Oakifir is good, but he plays for Duke and while K is good at some things, developing bigs is not one of those things.  K uses bigs as rebounders for his three point shooters.  This is why UNC usually owns them in the post over the past 20 years and why the Plumlees are both starting centers but never touched the ball at Duke.

SO I would say Yes, but I would be cautious.

Someone else stated that the draft is a crap shoot even if you get the #1 pick and they are absolutely correct.  Greg Oden...

Also, the Celts have 3 potentially amazing picks coming up, all Brooklyn's.  SO if the Celts could get Boogie, they might get another piece from the worst GM in NBA history Billy King.

Seriously why would any franchise hire Billy King, guy is terrible.

Boogie's skills are exactly what the Celts needs on the floor, a dominate inside scorer who will bull his way into getting you 20/10.

I would trade Sully for him, right now, lol.  Sully should of been a Dukie, he would of been able to shoot bad 3s all during his college career and K would of loved him.

So, I officially change my stance of Boogie Cousins, as if anyone cares, so I would trade for him for a 1st.

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
We will not get the first pick..... and i would prefer a trade with anthony davis

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7

They're above .500 this year with Cousins in the lineup, so I'd say yes.  That's even after management fired a good coach and replaced him with Tyrone Corbin.

I'm re-bumping this because I'm curious how his defensive stats are holding up that was posted on this thread. Are they still decent even though the Kings have been struggling with Cousins in the lineup?

The team is morally deflated and strategically confused since the traumatic coaching firing, has nothing to do with Cousins talent

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would.

Rather ride an established talent who is just hitting his prime than jump in the unknown based on the allure of potential.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

The team is morally deflated and strategically confused since the traumatic coaching firing, has nothing to do with Cousins talent
That's funny because other posters gave him credit for still winning during a coaching change, while I predicted as soon as the schedule got tougher that they would start losing.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I wouldn't. Okafor could potentially put Cousins like numbers in a few years minus the headaches and with a rookie scale contract.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I'd do it in a heartbeat

I feel like most people mistake him for being a jerk when he really just wants to WIN

You know who else was considered a headache before his tenure in boston? Dennis Johnson (I know, I know, he won before coming here)

The passion and intensity of Smart and Cousins would be so much fun to watch going deep in the playoffs. 

Also, I wish people would get off his case about winning right now. It's hard enough to win when the talent around you is young and scarce. Then you add the fact he plays in the west.

It's not like he's an empty stats guy like SOMEONE I know (looking at you mr. Love)
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I'd do it in a heartbeat

I feel like most people mistake him for being a jerk when he really just wants to WIN

You know who else was considered a headache before his tenure in boston? Dennis Johnson (I know, I know, he won before coming here)

The passion and intensity of Smart and Cousins would be so much fun to watch going deep in the playoffs. 

Also, I wish people would get off his case about winning right now. It's hard enough to win when the talent around you is young and scarce. Then you add the fact he plays in the west.

It's not like he's an empty stats guy like SOMEONE I know (looking at you mr. Love)

He's immature and doesn't bring it on both ends. He's a very lazy defensive player and wouldn't confuse him pouting with intensity. Passionate players bring it on both ends of the court and don't take as many plays off as he does.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
In a NEW YORK second ..... :)

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I also don't buy the "oh, he just wants to win" to excuse the way he acts.

In his lone year at Kentucky they went 35-3 and this was what was written:

NBA scouts know that Cousins has all the tools to be a dominant force at the next level and help turn a dormant program into a winner. But some of them also wonder whether Cousins has anger management issues that could cause him to implode.

“Ask all 30 teams about DeMarcus Cousins’ temper and you’ll get 30 different answers,” an NBA executive said last weekend. “I think that whole issue is overblown.