Poll

If Celtics landed the #1 NBA drat pick, would you trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?

Yes, even though Okafor could be chosen instead
63 (51.2%)
No, I'd rather gamble on Okafor (or other draft pick) rather than trade for Cousins
60 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: If Celtics landed the 2015 #1 draft pick, would u trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?  (Read 64456 times)

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Cousins is a beast, and young!  He'd dominate the east.  And having Cousins on the roster makes this team mad attractive to a Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard any good free agents.

Fixed it for you.  ;)

Hahahaha! Thanks!

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't understand how a Celtics fan can honestly say they'd want Cousins. 8 Cousins wouldn't equal a KG. I just don't see a player like Cousins surviving in Boston. not after that game against us where his body language and intelligence shined and showed what kind of mentality he has. these were things that will ultimately define a player when things aren't going your way.

no thanks, he has no heart.

Cousins' problems have nothing to do with no heart.  If anything, he's been too quick to get frustrated, with most of those frustrations being due to losing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
I have never hated anyone as much as Jamarcus Cousins since I started watching basketball.
things don't go right for this guy and his game is finished!!!

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd only trade Cousins for Okafor if there were a couple of big free agents willing to come to Boston if we had Cousins.  If that were the case, then it makes sense.  Otherwise, I'd assume develop Okafor and keep the books clear for a run in 2016 free agency.

However, I would trade #2 or lower for Cousins.  I think Okafor is the clear talent ahead of everyone else, but Towns/Porzingis/WCS/Mudiay/etc. for Cousins is a no-brainer to me, and I'd throw in an extra pick without much hesitation.

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
No.  Stay away!!!

The guy is poison.  Mentally weak/unstable.  Heck, I wouldn't even trade Bass for Cousins.

Don't need Cousins to win Championships - of that I am sure.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
No.  Stay away!!!

The guy is poison.  Mentally weak/unstable.  Heck, I wouldn't even trade Bass for Cousins.

Unstable? Maybe. We can debate that.

Emotional? Without question, though so is KG and plenty of other great players.

Mentally weak? No. Just...no. Guys who are mentally weak don't improve their game every single year like Cousins' has, especially not improving every single aspect of it. He's improved virtually everything - scoring, rebounding, passing, free throw shooting, defense, etc. - since he's come into the league. You just don't work that hard and improve like that if you're mentally weak. His improvement tells me that this guy is motivated. Maybe he doesn't always channel it in the best way, but he plays hard.

In that way he reminds me a bit of Rasheed Wallace, another volatile guy (though 'Sheed was far worse both on and off the court). But you didn't question Wallace's desire to win - he worked his ass off and improved his game over the years - and he helped Detroit win it all. Cousins not only doesn't have the same baggage, he's a better player to boot.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
To me an unstable person is mentally weak.  That's just me.....

I liked Rasheed as a defender.  Was very good at that.  Not sure Cousins has the same approach to the game.

Either way, Rasheed was unstable and I never wanted him to be a Celtic.  But that's just me.  I don't mind instigators, as long as their head right.  You never knew when Sheed was going to blow up and cost you a game.....

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:01:54 PM by coco »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Once a knucklehead, always a knucklehead.   While I think he is talented, and I think they are physical not that is he skilled like some here present.   His skill level is average folks, but physically he is a specimen.   He is big, he is strong and he can move and leap.  I have seen him live in the last two years,   I can tell you that he is not that fundamental but he can play besides he is so gifted physically.    I think his talent does not equate to wins for his team.  They are .400, I know the West is tough, but if he is a transcending talent, one would think he would change this record.

So my answer would be "no", because he do not have a veteran that could reign him in.   With him as the "man" I think it would not go well for us.  If Ainge signed that guy, my answer would be different.
I agree. Most bigs with his talent would generate more wins.

I also don't see Cousins and Stevens being a good match.

Also, for those choosing Cousins, have you guys seen how explosive and quick that Okafor guy is?

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
this is a toughie, but I'm going to lean towards no

I watched Okafor in the Duke vs Louisville game and my god is that kid a beast. NOBODY could stop him in the post. You really gotta triple team the guy to get the ball off his hands. Great footwork, good hook shot, moves well

My only knock on him is probably his defense. I know it's just one game but this kid is legit and I want him bad

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
No.  Stay away!!!

Unstable? Maybe. We can debate that.

Emotional? Without question, though so is KG and plenty of other great players.

Mentally weak? No. Just...no. Guys who are mentally weak don't improve their game every single year like Cousins' has, especially not improving every single aspect of it. He's improved virtually everything - scoring, rebounding, passing, free throw shooting, defense, etc. - since he's come into the league. You just don't work that hard and improve like that if you're mentally weak. His improvement tells me that this guy is motivated. Maybe he doesn't always channel it in the best way, but he plays hard.

In that way he reminds me a bit of Rasheed Wallace, another volatile guy (though 'Sheed was far worse both on and off the court). But you didn't question Wallace's desire to win - he worked his ass off and improved his game over the years - and he helped Detroit win it all. Cousins not only doesn't have the same baggage, he's a better player to boot.
I don't like the Sheed comparison.

Rasheed Wallace in his prime was 10 times better on D then Cousins. He also had a better all around game and players wanted to play with him. He was well liked.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Tough call but if Ainge sees he can make other win now moves then why not.  Cousins clearly gets very frustrated with losing. I would then look into Dragic and Tobias Harris as free agents, and we would still have a young competitive core with plenty of assets going forward.

If we draft Okafor I wouldn't mind renting out our cap space for even more draft picks so we have more hands in the pot to land a couple stars.

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
I really like Cousins, but I'd take Okafor in a second.  As close to can't-miss as you get imo.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
In a nanosecond...in a heartbeat....in a NY minute....as fast as this guy:

etc, etc, etc, etc....

Demarcus Cousins is ONLY 24..barely reaching his prime. He's already the 2nd best C in the game right now, behind Marc Gasol.

(And younger than Marc, by 5 years.)

He's improved defensively...enough to anchor a team defensively. He is intelligent...an excellent passer (averaging 3.3 this year, and almost 3 for his career. Can shoot, has post moves...

He's durable (6'11" and 270 pounds).

He's put up these numbers on a team that has been in constant flux...with myriad coaching changes...numerous players...even changed ownership.

LOOK - I'd FLIP ALL of our draft picks for this guy. People here were talking about whether we should give the farm for Kevin Love? Well, I'd give the farm for Demarcus Cousins.

Theatrics aside, he's a complete player. Yes - he has been labeled to be a headcase, but I think most of us who were that talented and played with that much uncertainty around him would be a bit on edge, too.

He in someways reminds me of THIS guy...all bitter and on edge:

.....right before we acquired him and Ray Allen in 07-08.

Get Demarcus, let's toss this 10 year rebuild out the window, and get back into the playoffs and contention in a year or so, because with Demarcus OTHERS will come.

He is NOT a bad guy.

Get him to BOSTON..build around him....show him those banners...let Stevens coach him, and let Danny build around him.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Of course you make that trade.

Even if it takes Danny Ainge 2 seasons to get the right talent around DMC for the Celtics to start contending you still have a top 5 player in the league on your team and he is still only 26 years old.

DMC was well behaved and mature when his team was winning, playing defense earlier this year. He was mature and well behaved playing for Team America last summer.

His worst outburst was against the Celtics this year. I think that is coloring a lot of people's views here because up until that time, Cousins had been an exceptional leader and player without any histrionics. Perhaps the kid's desire to win is manifesting itself. Let's face it the Sactown management has been disastrous. 

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
I don't think the Kings are looking to move him for the first, but I think in this hypothetical it would benefit the Celtics. 24/12/becoming a defensive anchor, it's the bird in the hand thing