Poll

If Celtics landed the #1 NBA drat pick, would you trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?

Yes, even though Okafor could be chosen instead
63 (51.2%)
No, I'd rather gamble on Okafor (or other draft pick) rather than trade for Cousins
60 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: If Celtics landed the 2015 #1 draft pick, would u trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?  (Read 64324 times)

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think so....because off hand I don't see another big becoming as good.

That's just bigs ......you can not guess the little guys ,  who might be the next 6 ' 6 " Kobe or Jimmy Butler , or Paul Milsapp ......l

Cousins is the real deal .  Not weak or frail , no prone to break downs with injuries.

Just needs a steady mental diet and guidance from the right GM , teammates and coach.

Offline hondobird33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Celts have some nice pieces that are decent starters or excellent back-ups (i.e. Sully, Crowder, Zeller).  To win a championship we need excellent starters (i.e. proven top players in their positions and top 3 drafts) so I would not want to trade a #1 overall pick that is likely to be a star in the league.

And I don't think Kings would take a #1 pick only for Cousins.  It may be a steep price but all these player are good but not the level of starter we need for a championship team so we put in trade package and matches Cousins $14m salary plus we give Kings our #1 pick in 2016 (keep 2015 pick if it is #1 overall) and our first round pick from the Clippers this year and two second round picks.

Kings Get: Choice either Sully or Olynyk (both PF so we keep one), Zeller to fill the center position for them, Crowder (to back-up Rudy Gay), and Wallace for salary matching purposes (that is why we gave them a second first round pick).

Celts Get Cousins and rid themselves of Wallace. Here Celts roster prior to signing or trading for other FA:

C - Cousins
PF - Sully or Olynyk
SF - Young
SG - Bradley/Smart
PG - Turner/Pressey

This assumes Celts are going to trade or let expire all other higher veteran contracts (i.e. Thornton, Bass, Prince, etc.).

In this scenerio with Celts getting #1 overall pick they either take player or trade to get a top starter at either PG, SG, or SF.  To fill out roster with plenty of cap space we go after Reggie Jackson to play PG and Jimmy Butler to play SG/SF.

For good measure sign KG for one year to mentor Cousin and Okafor

New Roster

C - Cousins/Okafor
PF - Sully or Olynyk/KG
SF - Butler/Young
SG - Bradley/Smart
PG - Jackson/Turner/Pressey     

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Cousins is in my estimation one of the top five most talented players in the league.  I would trade a number one draft pick for him without hesitation. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
To get a guaranteed young star center for an unknown would be an obvious choice. Okafor looks like the real deal, but there have been too many #1 pick centers that just haven't worked out for one reason or another (Kwame Brown, Kandi Man, Oden, etc).

If we could add Cousins with the TPE, we would still have Wallace's expiring (plus some additional cap space) and oodles of picks to add some additional real talent. We could become legitimately relevant very quickly.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Its a tough one. Cousins skill set is amazing, his mental skill set, not so much.

We can blame the organization all we want, but some of it are on Cousins.  You don't see other players doing the same thing. But that being said, we did have Rondo, who was kinda the same, but had PP and KG to keep him in line on the most part.

We he played the C's his body language sucked. He complained just about every time up and down the court and wouldn't get back on D or get into the offense right away.

Okafor, yeah he's a mystery, but what if he becomes a Duncan type, were he's super dependable and a good leader. I think we have to wait for the tourney to see that.

Maybe we can get KG to retire and come be a big man coach, then trade the pick for Cousins. Get KG to teach Cousins how to take all the anger and apply it to the game the right way.

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd take Cousins any day of the week, twice on Sunday.  I hate banking on just potential.  Give me a proven talent any day.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:02:57 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm always on board with the proven talent. Except this time.

I take the draft pick because the 'proven talent' comes with extreme baggage. I gamble with guys like Okafor, who seem to have talent & a lot less baggage.

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
I can't believe I'm saying this... but probably, yes.

Cousins is proven and still a young guy, but it depends on whether the Cs realistically think they can change his attitude. If they really think so, then I think we should. HOWEVER, if we could get Deandre Jordan as a FA (I know I mentioned how much I want him on our team in most posts haha), then I wouldn't do that deal and I'd rather take Okafor or Towns to grow under him, or move down a few spots to get Johnson or Winslow and more assets.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yes, in a heartbeat.

But I wouldn't count on the Celts with the no 1 pick.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm always on board with the proven talent. Except this time.

I take the draft pick because the 'proven talent' comes with extreme baggage. I gamble with guys like Okafor, who seem to have talent & a lot less baggage.

Guess I fail to see the "baggage" everyone is referring to. It's not like Cousins has killed anybody.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Absolutely.

DeMarcus Cousins is a proven star, closing in to superstar status. I would not even hesitate. Heck, take the Clippers pick with it why don't you, I don't care.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Cousins' jerk quotient would make me leery of doing such a deal. On a talent level, I would do it.

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Cousins is a beast, and young!  He'd dominate the east.  And having Cousins on the roster makes this team mad attractive to a Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard. 

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Cousins is a beast, and young!  He'd dominate the east.  And having Cousins on the roster makes this team mad attractive to a Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard any good free agents.

Fixed it for you.  ;)
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Once a knucklehead, always a knucklehead.   While I think he is talented, and I think they are physical not that is he skilled like some here present.   His skill level is average folks, but physically he is a specimen.   He is big, he is strong and he can move and leap.  I have seen him live in the last two years,   I can tell you that he is not that fundamental but he can play besides he is so gifted physically.    I think his talent does not equate to wins for his team.  They are .400, I know the West is tough, but if he is a transcending talent, one would think he would change this record.

So my answer would be "no", because he do not have a veteran that could reign him in.   With him as the "man" I think it would not go well for us.  If Ainge signed that guy, my answer would be different.