Poll

If Celtics landed the #1 NBA drat pick, would you trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?

Yes, even though Okafor could be chosen instead
63 (51.2%)
No, I'd rather gamble on Okafor (or other draft pick) rather than trade for Cousins
60 (48.8%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: If Celtics landed the 2015 #1 draft pick, would u trade it for DeMarcus Cousins?  (Read 64444 times)

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'd draft Mudiay #1 or 2, but prefer to trade for Cousins over drafting anyone else.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Cousins has zero playoff experience...I don't think he'll fare well here. We'd need another all-star veteran to complement this team if we ever get Cousins.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Cousins has zero playoff experience...I don't think he'll fare well here. We'd need another all-star veteran to complement this team if we ever get Cousins.

I think that last part is true of every single star in the league.  Lebron, Durant, Davis...  All are going to require All-Star-level help next to them if we're going to be successful.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Cousins is sort of like a bigger, better Josh Smith who doesn't shoot threes.  I feel like he will follow a similar maturation curve.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
No.  Stay away!!!

The guy is poison.  Mentally weak/unstable.  Heck, I wouldn't even trade Bass for Cousins.

Don't need Cousins to win Championships - of that I am sure.

Unstable? Maybe. We can debate that.

Emotional? Without question, though so is KG and plenty of other great players.

Mentally weak? No. Just...no. Guys who are mentally weak don't improve their game every single year like Cousins' has, especially not improving every single aspect of it. He's improved virtually everything - scoring, rebounding, passing, free throw shooting, defense, etc. - since he's come into the league. You just don't work that hard and improve like that if you're mentally weak. His improvement tells me that this guy is motivated. Maybe he doesn't always channel it in the best way, but he plays hard.

In that way he reminds me a bit of Rasheed Wallace, another volatile guy (though 'Sheed was far worse both on and off the court). But you didn't question Wallace's desire to win - he worked his ass off and improved his game over the years - and he helped Detroit win it all. Cousins not only doesn't have the same baggage, he's a better player to boot.
I don't like the Sheed comparison.

Rasheed Wallace in his prime was 10 times better on D then Cousins. He also had a better all around game and players wanted to play with him. He was well liked.

Cousins is a good defender who has never been linked to being a locker room problem. He is also a far superior scorer, rebounder, passer etc., yes it is a bad comparison

good defender? The guy doesn't even run back on defense . Especially if he thinks he is fouled , he just straight up quits on the play and won't even run back . I have seen this numerous times in numerous games . Unless we are bringing in other vets that can keep him in line, stay FAR away from this knucklehead .

This isn't even close to accurate.

At least as of a couple days ago, the Kings starting lineup of Cousins-Thompson-Gay-McLemore-Collison is statistically the best defensive lineup in the NBA, allowing 88.6 points per 100 possessions. 

Cousins is averaging 1.6 blocks and 1.3 steals, while dominating in defensive rebounding (second in the league in DRB%).  He's allowing 46.8% shooting at the rim, which ranks near the top of the league for guys who defend as many shots as Cousins does.  (The only guys better than him at the rim this year, among the top-25 in terms of volume of shots defensed, are Howard, Hibbert, Ibaka, and Duncan.)  He's also fifth in the league in Defensive Real Plus Minus.

Cousins has been an elite defender this year, and should be a legit candidate for DPOY.
It's laughable to consider Cousins an elite defender. Just watch this clip and see how this clown checks out on his teammates. Also, I think those stats above are a prime example of over valuing stats. Those stats are changing fast.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12280378

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
No.  Stay away!!!

The guy is poison.  Mentally weak/unstable.  Heck, I wouldn't even trade Bass for Cousins.

Mentally weak? No. Just...no. Guys who are mentally weak don't improve their game every single year like Cousins' has, especially not improving every single aspect of it. He's improved virtually everything - scoring, rebounding, passing, free throw shooting, defense, etc. - since he's come into the league. You just don't work that hard and improve like that if you're mentally weak. His improvement tells me that this guy is motivated. Maybe he doesn't always channel it in the best way, but he plays hard.

In that way he reminds me a bit of Rasheed Wallace, another volatile guy (though 'Sheed was far worse both on and off the court). But you didn't question Wallace's desire to win - he worked his ass off and improved his game over the years - and he helped Detroit win it all. Cousins not only doesn't have the same baggage, he's a better player to boot.

Rasheed Wallace in his prime was 10 times better on D then Cousins. He also had a better all around game and players wanted to play with him. He was well liked.

Cousins is a good defender who has never been linked to being a locker room problem. He is also a far superior scorer, rebounder, passer etc., yes it is a bad comparison

good defender? The guy doesn't even run back on defense . Especially if he thinks he is fouled , he just straight up quits on the play and won't even run back . I have seen this numerous times in numerous games . Unless we are bringing in other vets that can keep him in line, stay FAR away from this knucklehead .

At least as of a couple days ago, the Kings starting lineup of Cousins-Thompson-Gay-McLemore-Collison is statistically the best defensive lineup in the NBA, allowing 88.6 points per 100 possessions. 

Cousins is averaging 1.6 blocks and 1.3 steals, while dominating in defensive rebounding (second in the league in DRB%).  He's allowing 46.8% shooting at the rim, which ranks near the top of the league for guys who defend as many shots as Cousins does.  (The only guys better than him at the rim this year, among the top-25 in terms of volume of shots defensed, are Howard, Hibbert, Ibaka, and Duncan.)  He's also fifth in the league in Defensive Real Plus Minus.

Cousins has been an elite defender this year, and should be a legit candidate for DPOY.
It's laughable to consider Cousins an elite defender. Just watch this clip and see how this clown checks out on his teammates. Also, I think those stats above are a prime example of over valuing stats. Look how fast those stats are changing.

Absolutely.  Why trust the entire body of work of the season, when we've got one play in a blowout to go by?

Cousins ranks near the top of the league in Opponents FG% at the rim and Pick And Roll defense. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Thanks for trying to clear that up roy!

But some people are going to see what they want to see

Oh, i just saw a replay on sports center where he didnt even try. That must be how he's played the whole year!

I would LOVE to have him here. I would throw a dang party if we got him
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
No.  Stay away!!!

It's laughable to consider Cousins an elite defender. Just watch this clip and see how this clown checks out on his teammates. Also, I think those stats above are a prime example of over valuing stats. Look how fast those stats are changing.

Absolutely.  Why trust the entire body of work of the season, when we've got one play in a blowout to go by?

Cousins ranks near the top of the league in Opponents FG% at the rim and Pick And Roll defense.
You also said the starting line up for the Kings ranked near the top of the league for defense.   ::)

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Oh, i just saw a replay on sports center where he didnt even try. That must be how he's played the whole year!

Think what you want but that video is pretty funny.

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i wouldnt trade a 1st pick for cousins
if it was between 7-15, it would be cool (but knowing the kings they dont seem to value picks as much as they wanted to trade for rondo with newly draftees stauskas and mclemore plus 2 first rounders that would probably been lottery picks)

but i feel this draft is top heavy and that we would easily be able to draft and develop a star from a first pick

besides i dont think the kings trade cousins because u can make an argument that he is perhaps the best centre in the league right now

and with rudy gay on board they feel that they can grab another star to complete their big 3  (there are rumors of them trying to lure rondo in his free agency despite him saying he does not want to go there)

not that i think they would be contenders esp in a loaded west   

i dont get the attraction of getting cousins on this forum, if we did get cousins who could we get in free agency to build a big 3 and contend?

enough of this one day millionaire mentality

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Think what you want but that video is pretty funny.
I will certainly not deny how funny that clip was
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Cousins is sort of like a bigger, better Josh Smith who doesn't shoot threes.  I feel like he will follow a similar maturation curve.

Wow..really?

Josh Smith was a physical freak with a versatile skill set, who was seen as having all-star potential but never realised it.

Demarcus Cousins has been putting up All-Star numbers since the day he entered the league.  Even as a rookie he averaged Per-36 numbers of 18 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and 1 block.   Based on todays 'big man' talent pool, those are All-Star numbers.  And that's his ROOKIE year.

Since his sophomore year his Per-36 scoring numbers numbers have increased every single season.  He has never averaged less than 11 rebounds  and 17.8 points per 36 minutes in his entire career - and this year he's putting up the type o fnumbers we haven't seen from a center since the Ewing/Robinson/Hakeem/Shaq era.

And he's only 24 years old.

If you look at NBA drafts over the past 20 years we have only seen one NBA Center challenge the the numbers DMC is putting up right now, and that's Dwight Howard.

If you expand this to Power Forwards then you can add Anthony Davis, Chris Webber, Pau Gasol, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett...that's about it.

That's about 5 other bigs that have come through the league in the past 20 years that have put up overall numbers comparable to what DMC has put up the past year or two.  Every single player on that list is pretty much a lock in to be a future hall of famer except Anthony Davis, but his career is well and truly on that path. 

So when you look at DMC's production right now, you are looking the type of center who comes across maybe once or twice in a generation.

The probability of drafting a big man who will EVER turn out better then DMC already is, is extremely slim.  Even if you happen to find a guy with that type of talent (highly unlikely) you then have to consider the chance of him getting injury issues (i.e. Greg Oden, Andrew Bynum) that ruins their career.

DMC is a sure thing - you already know what production he can give you...there is no gamble.  He's also been incredibly healthy his entire career, with no real injury issues that cause for any concern.  To pass up a player of his calibre for a one-in-a-thousand chance of drafting a player of the same calibre is downright crazy.

I don't care how much of an attitude problem this guy apparently has - so what if he has a temper, gets angry when he loses, gets a little physical sometimes.  Cousins has a temper, but so far in his career he's been loyal and highly competitive.  If a player had to have some type of attitude problem, that's the type you want. 

I'll take that any day over a guy with alternate (Kevin Love) attitude - horrible leadership skills, zero loyalty, no passion, jumps ship the first chance he gets.   

Plus how many great players from the past DIDN'T have attitude problems?  Look at Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant - both egomaniacs who are supposedly impossible to play with.  Look at our own Rajon Rondo, a guy who helped lead us to multiple deep playoff runs.  Look at Dennis Rodman and Kevin Garnett - crazy men that almost anybody would love to have on their team.

Cousins might have attitude issues, but at least he's a guy who is clearly extremely passionate about the game, and I can live with that.  Hell people here have been BEGGING for an enforcer on this team ever since Perk got traded away - I can assure you many opposing players will find themselves thrown on their butts if they try to attack the paint while DMC is in there. They won't be leaving without a few bruises, that's for sure.

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Tough one, But I'll say yes.
But Brad Stevens is gonna have a hard time haha

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
No.  Stay away!!!

It's laughable to consider Cousins an elite defender. Just watch this clip and see how this clown checks out on his teammates. Also, I think those stats above are a prime example of over valuing stats. Those stats are changing fast.

Or maybe he just had a mental lapse and thought the Kings were on offense?

Yes the stats will change because the team has checked out on the coach and isn't playing, has nothing to do with his talent

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

They had a mature Cousins, but then they fired Malone.