Poll

How to the Celtics ultimately get rid of Wallace's contract?

He will expire after the 2016 season and be reounced.
28 (45.2%)
He will be a contract matching filler in a trade next summer or season.
30 (48.4%)
He will be traded with a pick, just to get him off the books, soon.
0 (0%)
He will be bought out with the stretch provision implemented.
1 (1.6%)
He will be bought out after the trade deadline next season.
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: How will the Celtics ultimately get rid of Wallace's contract? (Poll)  (Read 5334 times)

Re: How will the Celtics ultimately get rid of Wallace's contract? (Poll)
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 09:57:25 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I think the preferred option for the Celtics is #2 and it is very close in likelihood to #1. The only thing that made me choose #1 as the very slightly more likely result is that option #2 depends heavily on finding a trade partner.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think the preferred option for the Celtics is #2 and it is very close in likelihood to #1. The only thing that made me choose #1 as the very slightly more likely result is that option #2 depends heavily on finding a trade partner.
Agreed #1 or #2 are most likely. I don't buy that they'll waste a pick just to "get him off the books".
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 09:58:43 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
He'll either be traded this summer or by the '16 deadline (my gut feeling).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 10:37:02 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
An early season buyout would be nice if the Celtics can get 40%-50% of their money back..

However the most likely scenario is He will play the season out unless a Sacramento or another subpar team with a star player is looking to shed contracts..

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 10:56:28 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
With the C's talking glowingly about how Wallace has done a good job of keeping the locker room in line/mentoring the young players I think we will keep him until his salary runs out.

The only way we would need to stretch him is if the salary space became needed in order to sign two upper echelon free agents. Since I don't see two upper echelon free agents wanting to come here in the offseason I think we keep him.

If we aren't able to sign free agents, I'm sure teams would prefer we take their players on using their cap space rather than send back Wallace so I don't think he is moved in a trade either.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 11:02:25 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
With the C's talking glowingly about how Wallace has done a good job of keeping the locker room in line/mentoring the young players I think we will keep him until his salary runs out.

The only way we would need to stretch him is if the salary space became needed in order to sign two upper echelon free agents. Since I don't see two upper echelon free agents wanting to come here in the offseason I think we keep him.

If we aren't able to sign free agents, I'm sure teams would prefer we take their players on using their cap space rather than send back Wallace so I don't think he is moved in a trade either.

Then offer him a coaching position.. no one is worth 10 mill to be a mentor..by next year he will account for a third of the celtics salaries... Danny will be creative somehow

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:08 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
With the Cs current situation his contract really isn't hurting us. I see us using his salary next year to bring in a solid player to make the salaries work. Next year, another team will not mind taking on his money knowing he's expiring at the end of the year. If not just let him expire. I don't see any big time free agents that we need the money for by next year.

If for some reason Ainge needs to move him for a 2nd round pick that fine with me too. We got a ton, but don't move him for a 1rst.

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:33 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Then offer him a coaching position.. no one is worth 10 mill to be a mentor..by next year he will account for a third of the celtics salaries... Danny will be creative somehow
Well if we have to pay some team a price in order to move him early, then we better be using the cap space we cleared up immediately, if not it's a waste of an asset.

The same thing holds true with using the stretch provision on him, except in that case the asset is future cap space.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 01:05:14 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sell it in a Afghan bazaar  ???

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 01:07:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Agreed #1 or #2 are most likely. I don't buy that they'll waste a pick just to "get him off the books".
Of course not, since we only took him in order to acquire picks.