Author Topic: Unhappy "good" players  (Read 2492 times)

Unhappy "good" players
« on: January 16, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
With the collection of assets in tow, one of the options is to trade for a good player on a bad team (or at least out of playoff contention). Who knows, maybe the terrible team realizes that it's probably just best to clear the deck... And teams this bad need as many assets as they can get.
So i'm trying to make a list of potential targets in a trade. Do we want them?

Names that come to mind:
Demarcus Cousins
Rudy Gay
Carmelo
Ty Lawson
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: Unhappy "good" players
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 12:27:26 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'm still hoping for a Cousins falling out in Sactown. If he demands a trade out and the Kings are looking for a youth movement I don't see anyone else being able to put together a better package for him.

That's my pipe dream scenario.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 12:30:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm still hoping for a Cousins falling out in Sactown. If he demands a trade out and the Kings are looking for a youth movement I don't see anyone else being able to put together a better package for him.

I agree

I'd trade any one on the team not named Smart for DCousins.

Smart and Cousins will bring so much toughness to the team. Cousins will be your go-to-guy and hopefully another star will be coming or at least traded for

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:35:08 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum

I agree

I'd trade any one on the team not named Smart for DCousins.

Smart and Cousins will bring so much toughness to the team. Cousins will be your go-to-guy and hopefully another star will be coming or at least traded for

At the very least, the team's tackling  ability would rival the Pats
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 12:37:43 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I'm with you on the dream.

I think the '6ers, though, can offer a better package. MCW, Noel and whatever picks Sac requires beats anything we can offer, sadly.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 12:50:06 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Rudy Gay only makes teams better by leaving them.  He somehow made everyone think it's ok for him to shoot 20 times a game so he gets his numbers, but those numbers aren't going to help you win

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 12:52:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think the '6ers, though, can offer a better package. MCW, Noel and whatever picks Sac requires beats anything we can offer, sadly.
If I'm Sac, that doesn't get it done.

any deal with Philly would have to start with Embiid.   include Saric and 3 firsts and salary filler.  MCW is a mediocre PG that won't move the needle.   I don't know if Philly controls any firsts other than their own but at best they can only send picks every other year.

I do think the C's could put something together that would rival that.  C's can deal Smart, Young, KO (or Sully or Zeller), their pick this year (which I'd hate to give up but it's a big chip --> C's record will only marginally improve with DMC and without their best young talent) and the better of the C's/Net's picks in 2016.

it's a steep price but Danny would still have some assets (lots of picks, Sully (or KO or Zeller), AB, Crowder, to use in a deal for experienced talent.  perhaps he wouldn't need to trade the other assets and could use DMC to lure a good FA here since there should still be plenty of cap room to sign a very good player.

the trap to avoid is thinking DMC cures all our ills.  Sac isn't devoid of talent (this year or last) and it's going nowhere.  C's would have to do a much better job filling in around him with good talent.  he's not going to lead a team to contention by himself.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum

If I'm Sac, that doesn't get it done.

any deal with Philly would have to start with Embiid.   include Saric and 3 firsts and salary filler.  MCW is a mediocre PG that won't move the needle.   I don't know if Philly controls any firsts other than their own but at best they can only send picks every other year.

I do think the C's could put something together that would rival that.  C's can deal Smart, Young, KO (or Sully or Zeller), their pick this year (which I'd hate to give up but it's a big chip --> C's record will only marginally improve with DMC and without their best young talent) and the better of the C's/Net's picks in 2016.

it's a steep price but Danny would still have some assets (lots of picks, Sully (or KO or Zeller), AB, Crowder, to use in a deal for experienced talent.  perhaps he wouldn't need to trade the other assets and could use DMC to lure a good FA here since there should still be plenty of cap room to sign a very good player.

the trap to avoid is thinking DMC cures all our ills.  Sac isn't devoid of talent (this year or last) and it's going nowhere.  C's would have to do a much better job filling in around him with good talent.  he's not going to lead a team to contention by himself.

Keep marcus and jae somehow, and you got defense at every area of the court. As Brad Stevens has shown, he won't have any trouble putting up points on the board. This defense just needs more consistency

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 01:16:41 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Cousins is one of the few players I'd go after hard, him unhappy or not.  With all our assets, ainge should be asking what do you want for him and go from there

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
Rudy Gay only makes teams better by leaving them.  He somehow made everyone think it's ok for him to shoot 20 times a game so he gets his numbers, but those numbers aren't going to help you win

Is he allowed to be considered a good player after that short Toronto stint didn't work out? He makes the Kings better just by being a 20/6/4 fairly efficient borderline all star who fits with the team. Although I agree that in the Celtics situation he might not be the optimal candidate

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Cousins is one of the few players I'd go after hard, him unhappy or not.  With all our assets, ainge should be asking what do you want for him and go from there

Yeah, Cousins is the only one on that list that I see as really worthwhile in pursuing. Gay is a volume scorer who doesn't do much else, and Melo is just a black hole. Lawson would be good to have, but he's not a guy I'd give up a ton of assets for.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis