Author Topic: Draft: Who do you want at #7?  (Read 33622 times)

Re: Draft: Who do you want at #7?
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I usually don't like comparisons, but from what I've seen, D'Angelo Russell looks a lot like Jeremy Lamb. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't want 7!
Getting a pick at 7 means we have failed.  We need to BEAT LA! and simply put, out-tank them!
While we are at it- I don't think it is any mystery that both Philly and NY- historically long term Celtic Rivals are in full tank mode.  First we need to catch LA!  And then we need to go after the Knickerbockers!  With Rondo gone!  This is our time!!!!  Top 4- need I say more!
We're not beating LA (in tanking).  Smart, Sully, and Stevens alone would guarantee this, even if we were to trade Bass.  LA basically has 1 or 2 NBA caliber players.  Nick Young, who is a chucker, and Ed Davis who is a 1 dimensional glass cleaner.  The top 10 guys on our roster would all start for LA.  AND, the biggest reason, they're in the Western Conference.

For once in my life I hope LA wins so that they lose their top-5 protected pick, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ideally, LAL finishes with the 5th worst record and we break into the top 3, knocking them down to #6...oh, how I dream.

« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2015, 03:55:18 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Right now, Oubre and Johnson are the guys within reasonable reach that I would come away feeling lucky to have gotten. I don't have any feel for Porzingis, but maybe he's the other guy.

Montrezl Harrell is a lock to be a good NBA player. I almost envy the folks picking in the early teens. No matter where we were picking, if we added Harrell I would not consider it a wasted pick. Contrast that with Turner or Looney, who are projected near our draft position... ugh I'd hate to draft either of those guys.

« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Right now, Oubre and Johnson are the guys within reasonable reach that I would come away feeling lucky to have gotten. I don't have any feel for Porzingis, but maybe he's the other guy.

Montrezl Harrell is a lock to be a good NBA player. I almost envy the folks picking in the early teens. No matter where we were picking, if we added Harrell I would not consider it a wasted pick. Contrast that with Turner or Looney, who are projected near our draft position... ugh I'd hate to draft either of those guys.

I'm with you about Looney. Still have some doubts about him - I'm afraid that he is not skilled enough to play the 3 and too short to play the 4.

About Turner, I don't know. He was terrible against Kentucky, but he is still so young. Maybe his ceiling is high and he can develop. I'm not sure about him.

Because of WCS and Towns nobody gives nothing for Dakari Johnson. But he is an interesting prospect and is getting better:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2015/01/15/kentucky-basketball-center-dakari-johnson-combats-physical-play-breaks-slump/21824159/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24985778/observations-another-7-footer-dakari-johnson-shows-out-for-kentucky

If we draft a SF with our pick (Johnson, Oubre, Winslow, Hezonja) Dakari can be a name for the Clippers pick.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2015, 04:17:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Cauley-Stein, Turner, or Porzingis (since Okafor and Towns will be gone)

need a center.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2015, 04:21:37 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Were probs going to pick between 6-10 so Okafor, Towns, Mudiay and Johnson are locks for the top 4

my favorites in  that range in no order

1. kristaps porzingis - has a unique skill set for a 7 footer, offense and defensive potential, solid stats for a young ACB player, high upside + high risk
Disadvantages - needs to develop strength (easy to do) and post moves 

2. DÁngelo Russell - crafty playmaker and ball handler, good shooter, great size for a PG
Disadvantages - not very athletic which limits his upside 

3. Myles Turner - offensive and defensive potential, shot blocker, good perimetre and mid range shooting, mobile, great height and length
Disadvantages - doesnt run the floor well, has a lot of injuries due to growing pains (i had him in my top 4 over mudiay but dropped him because of his injuries)

4. Kelly Oubre - star potential, offensive and defensive potential, great athleticism, solid size for a 3
Disadvantages - settles for too many jumpers, motor problems (he doesnt look like he works hard but he could be like how t-mac made everything look so easy for him)

5. Mario Hezonja - solid athleticism (athleticism is a bit hyped), good size for a swingman, offensive moves
Disadvantages - settles for too many jumpers, stats have been streaky, ball hog mentality,

6. Trey Lyles (suprise reach) - hes a 4 playing the 3, has great size for a 3, consistent play, underrated because he is buried in the front court cuz of Towns, WCS, Dakari johnson(another underrated player) they both could be like how terrence jones was a good player but was overshadowed by playing with AD and Michael kidd-gilchrist 

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2015, 04:28:50 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I usually don't like comparisons, but from what I've seen, D'Angelo Russell looks a lot like Jeremy Lamb.
I think Russell is special.  Better than Lamb at everything, but especially at playmaking/passing.  I'd take Russell #2 right now.

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2015, 05:26:46 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Surprised to see such little mention of Myles Turner.  I'd have him somewhere between #3-6 overall.  I love this guy's potential and I've got a feeling he's going to become the best player in this draft class a few years down the road.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2015, 05:29:19 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Cauley-Stein, Turner, or Porzingis (since Okafor and Towns will be gone)

need a center.

Personally I'll take the best player avalible.

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2015, 05:31:46 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I kind-of agree with you and I have a feeling other gms also will on draft night. Harrell will most likely move up a few spots because there is really no downside in taking him. If we end up in the 9th-11th position, I don't think I would be disappointed.

« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2015, 06:26:22 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
D Angelo Russell is a stud. Manu Ginobli + Stephen Curry.  Underrated burst, sick crossover/hesitation, can shoot off the bounce at a high level, and is elite from 3 point range. Such a skilled offensive player. And the kid can also become an elite passer !! Dont see many weaknesses. The only one i hear is athleticism but point guards dont need to be able to jump high. As long as he has a quick handle (check) and can move well laterally (check). Like i said hes so good offensively..... i think he can average 25 ppg.....  that good !!! He's the number 2 pick right now.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:39:29 PM by celticmania »

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Someone size of Marc Gasol who can move and play defense.

« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
 We'll, we are at ten right now, and honestly I think that's where we will finish if keep the current lineup. After Okafor,Mundaiy,Johnson,Towns,Russell,Turner, Oubre, and Mario I haven't watched anyone in college so far worthy of a lottery pick. I've never watched Porzingis, so I would think there would be a chance for Ainge to trade out or overpay to trade down a couple spots. Maybe Levert or Winslow with the Clips pick and Dakari Johnson with sixers pick.

« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2015, 07:18:43 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
We'll, we are at ten right now, and honestly I think that's where we will finish if keep the current lineup. After Okafor,Mundaiy,Johnson,Towns,Russell,Turner, Oubre, and Mario I haven't watched anyone in college so far worthy of a lottery pick. I've never watched Porzingis, so I would think there would be a chance for Ainge to trade out or overpay to trade down a couple spots. Maybe Levert or Winslow with the Clips pick and Dakari Johnson with sixers pick.
actually at a tie for 9th, according to tankathon.com. only two games separate the celtics from the number six position. assuming the ping pong balls don't do the celtics any favors, i think the celtics wind up somewhere from 6 to 9.

the celtics only moved back to the 9th position because of a last second hero-shots in a pair of 1 point wins against injured teams. i think this team will slink back to losing soon enough.

in the 6 to 9 range, there appears to be a number of good, not super star, players. and who knows? maybe one of them will actually become a star.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2015, 07:24:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
D Angelo Russell is a stud. Manu Ginobli + Stephen Curry.  Underrated burst, sick crossover/hesitation, can shoot off the bounce at a high level, and is elite from 3 point range. Such a skilled offensive player. And the kid can also become an elite passer !! Dont see many weaknesses. The only one i hear is athleticism but point guards dont need to be able to jump high. As long as he has a quick handle (check) and can move well laterally (check). Like i said hes so good offensively..... i think he can average 25 ppg.....  that good !!! He's the number 2 pick right now.

I want him as well, but I think he's playing himself away from us.  If we lucked out, we'll probably be in range or we could move up.

But darn it, from all the flak I threw at Danny Ainge, I would roast some crow and eat it with vinegar if he's able to get D'Angelo Russell. I really believe that kid is going to be special.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace