Author Topic: Draft: Who do you want at #7?  (Read 33709 times)

Re: Draft: Who do you want at #7?
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2015, 11:39:03 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
RussellLooney
ShootingBC+
ScoringB+C+
HandleBC
Vision / PassingB+C-
PlaymakingBD
IntangiblesB+B
PotentialB+B
Rebounding*B+A-
DefenseCB-

*for respective position

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2015, 11:51:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I 'd go for the best player available.   But we need bigs badly a lot of our young bigs are not athletic.  This rises it's ugly head a lot during games too.

« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2015, 11:55:21 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
D'Angelo Russell.

I'm sold. A kid who can shoot and has tremendous vision and good feel for the game? Yes please.

Don't like his athleticism. He might struggle on the next level because of it. Plus, athleticism, top to bottom, is probably one of the biggest weaknesses on our roster.

Get you on athleticism, but then lets find a way to work with that deficiency of his. You don't pass on a player with that kind of talent.

The kid can score, shoot, pass and is very skilled. And it's not like he's a slowpoke. I finally started watching some Ohio State games and while he's not super quick, he doesnt seem to look like a guy with average speed. He's alright.

I mean, Jabari Parker isn't super athletic either, but he seems to be doing just fine before he went down. Players that are ultra skilled and has that kind of poise and feel for the game, OH! Where do I sign up?

Just for the OOOOH's, he did this a while ago. His teammate didn't do justice by blowing the layup but...

https://vine.co/v/Ojr5rwWAli3
For a kid who's 6'5", he doesn't look like too bad an athlete to me.  I see him splitting the D on high picks, finishing strong, getting in passing lanes on defense.  Has nice court vision - a little flashy.  He pulled down 14 rebounds against Iowa.  Has a high dribble, but great handles.  Odd shooting form, but they go in.  I think the knocks on his athleticism might be overstated.

I like what I see.

He looks Ginobili-like in that video. Ginobili wasn't a great athlete either (more of an average athlete with good size) but he was highly skilled and extremely crafty. Looks like Russell has some similar qualities. His jump-shot is very impressive and his ball-handling & playmaking are quite advanced for a young SG.

He looks impressive. It'll be interesting to see in future NCAA games how he fares against NBA caliber defenders / athletes. If his production drops off much or not. I remember Evan Turner had great stat-lines at Ohio State because of a weak schedule they play and then ended up struggling against a lot of the bigger teams. Some people correctly predicted his NBA struggles based on that.

Can James Young be a SF?

I ask because if you take Russel and Young can't be a SF, you're bumping one of Smart or Young out of the starting lineup eventually.

You keep young and make Smart-Young-Russell rotation.

Russell can play PG. Heck, I think Russell IS a PG. We can have all three of them play heavy minutes, developing together.

Screw Bradley.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2015, 12:06:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If we draft at 7, we put a reasonable enough package of extra picks to move up a few slots to get someone Danny really loves.  Word from Chad Ford last year was that Danny interested in drafting Porzingis before he dropped out.  Porzingis won't last beyond 3-4 in this year's draft, so that is the guy I think Danny will target.  Maybe he would use Olynyk as a chip, since Porzingis would be an upgrade on the position of stretch 4-5.  To me, at least on the offensive level, he reminds me a great deal of a young Kevin Garnett.  He is not in Garnett's class, and never will be, on the defensive end, but let's face it, KG was a once in a lifetime defensive player.

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2015, 01:15:58 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Of the recent euro prospects, I like Saric best by far.  Hezonja is a nice athlete, but not a standout NBA athlete.  Maybe something like Gordon Hayward at 6'8".  Porzingas has good length and and shooting touch, but isn't a great athlete.  Saric has potential to be an impact player.  6-10, 220 and plays really tough and smart like Mirotic.

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2015, 01:18:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
NOBODY!!! That is why we must Tank hard for Okafor.

I hate losing , but this is the correct plan. Based on what we can expect . Team is not competitive with true good teams ...like out west . 

Losing out for the number one pick by  6-9 wins is plain dumb.

The first pic is worth too much to trade for say 10 meaningless wins ........finishing 14 W or 24 wins .....is still the same ...a awful losing season.......I think Danny at this point should dump Bass and Thornton and do what NY and Philly are doing ....play with d leaguers
The team that got the first pick last year had 33 wins.

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2015, 01:32:27 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
D'Angelo Russell.

I'm sold. A kid who can shoot and has tremendous vision and good feel for the game? Yes please.

Don't like his athleticism. He might struggle on the next level because of it. Plus, athleticism, top to bottom, is probably one of the biggest weaknesses on our roster.

Get you on athleticism, but then lets find a way to work with that deficiency of his. You don't pass on a player with that kind of talent.

The kid can score, shoot, pass and is very skilled. And it's not like he's a slowpoke. I finally started watching some Ohio State games and while he's not super quick, he doesnt seem to look like a guy with average speed. He's alright.

I mean, Jabari Parker isn't super athletic either, but he seems to be doing just fine before he went down. Players that are ultra skilled and has that kind of poise and feel for the game, OH! Where do I sign up?

Just for the OOOOH's, he did this a while ago. His teammate didn't do justice by blowing the layup but...

https://vine.co/v/Ojr5rwWAli3
For a kid who's 6'5", he doesn't look like too bad an athlete to me.  I see him splitting the D on high picks, finishing strong, getting in passing lanes on defense.  Has nice court vision - a little flashy.  He pulled down 14 rebounds against Iowa.  Has a high dribble, but great handles.  Odd shooting form, but they go in.  I think the knocks on his athleticism might be overstated.

I like what I see.

He looks Ginobili-like in that video. Ginobili wasn't a great athlete either (more of an average athlete with good size) but he was highly skilled and extremely crafty. Looks like Russell has some similar qualities. His jump-shot is very impressive and his ball-handling & playmaking are quite advanced for a young SG.

He looks impressive. It'll be interesting to see in future NCAA games how he fares against NBA caliber defenders / athletes. If his production drops off much or not. I remember Evan Turner had great stat-lines at Ohio State because of a weak schedule they play and then ended up struggling against a lot of the bigger teams. Some people correctly predicted his NBA struggles based on that.

Can James Young be a SF?

I ask because if you take Russel and Young can't be a SF, you're bumping one of Smart or Young out of the starting lineup eventually.
Smart and Young haven't done enough yet to be penciled in as future starters and the C's don't have enough talent to justify taking a lesser player for positional needs.  Ainge needs to take the BPA regardless of position with focus on the player's upside.  If you take Russell and all three develop into starters but can't all effectively start together, there will be plenty of trading partners for good talent on an affordable contract.

Of course you take BPA, but if Ainge has very similar grades on Russel and say, Winslow, he would probably draft Winslow.

You don't downgrade from you B+ guy to a C+ guy due to position, but if one guy is an A- and the other guy is a B+ but is a position of much more need, i think most GM's take the B+ guy.
I don't rate any of our existing talent that highly so I don't see any position as being much more of a need than the other positions.  As the team stands now, I'd put position at the bottom of the list of draft decision criteria. 

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2015, 01:47:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I don't know but I think our number 7 is fools gold.   I hope we get a top three pick.  I am not sold on Okafor.  I think him and Sully would be tough in a below the rim league though.

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most

I am from Ohio and I have never liked any pro from OSU save Hondo.   It is a football score not a basketball school and the Big Ten in basketball is not the athletic Big Ten of football.

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2015, 04:26:41 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I don't know but I think our number 7 is fools gold.   I hope we get a top three pick.  I am not sold on Okafor.  I think him and Sully would be tough in a below the rim league though.

Okafor will probably be a nice solid pro for a long time, but Towns might be the young center we've been pining for.

« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2015, 03:22:41 AM »

Offline e4sym0de

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think I would go with one of the Euro guys at #7 this year. Porzingis or Hezonja

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2015, 06:42:57 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, at least with CLE likely out of the lottery THIS year, we have a better shot at number 1......

« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2015, 09:06:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Nobody at 7 .

That's not a good pick

If your going to,suck ....then suck .......go for the top three.

Number 7 is another project or bench player

« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:40 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Of the recent euro prospects, I like Saric best by far.  Hezonja is a nice athlete, but not a standout NBA athlete.  Maybe something like Gordon Hayward at 6'8".  Porzingas has good length and and shooting touch, but isn't a great athlete.  Saric has potential to be an impact player.  6-10, 220 and plays really tough and smart like Mirotic.

Gordon Hayward at 6'8? Hayward is 6'8.

i admittedly do know know alot about Hezonja. But from reading about him, looking at his ACB and FIBA stats and watching some film of him on youtube I think he is a very different player then Hayward. Where Hayward is more of a facilitating well rounded 3/2 with a nice outside shot. Hezonja appears more the gun for hire come in the game to score type of player. Similar to JR Smith.

Porzingis I am very intrigued by. Where he may not be the elite athlete WCS is. He is athletic for a 7' and appears to have elite length. The thing I find more promising with him is his current Eurocup production. 20mpg 10pts 4rb 1stl 1.4blk 44% 3PT on 2.3 3PTA at age 19. My only concern with this kid is his strength and how it will effect his ability to defend in man to man situations. Unlike other players in this years top 10 he is not physically ready for the NBA but his growth physically may ultimately yield one of its best players. Chad Ford has suggested in the past that if Prozingis was in the NCAA he would actually be a threat to go #1 over Okafor. This sounds crazy but on a team where the coach gives him free range to shoot from the outside its not a stretch to see him as a 20pt 7rb 3.5blk college star.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2015, 09:28:49 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
would you be upset if we offered many of our first round picks to grab the #1 pick this year?