Author Topic: Draft: Who do you want at #7?  (Read 33619 times)

Re: Draft: Who do you want at #7?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I'd probably go with whichever one of the wings is still on the board = D'Angelo Russell, Stanley Johnson or Justise Winslow.

I hear Kelly Oubre is playing better lately. Maybe him.

I am with you, Oubre is playing a lot better!  But Stanley is my guy, I think he steps in right away and plays good minutes.  At least his body is ready for the NBA. 

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 10:36:44 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
C's are going to land in the lottery this year. I say Okafor or Towns

No, it's not. Wishful thinking won't make us better.
true. but since is this a blog and not the celtics' front office, it doesnt hurt either.  :)

I hear you. But EVERYBODY here would draft Okafor or Towns. Everybody. So what's the point of discussing them? If possible, we draft one of them. Until then, we should discuss the other, more likely options, the pros and cons of the 3 to 10 players, like Russell, WCS, Winslow, Hezonja, Looney, Johnson.

i understand, but folks are here for fun as well and if we disallowed posting the obvious not many post would appear here.  ;D one point, and this is just me, i often find it best when i read such posts to invite the poster to rethink or restate, asking a question to draw him or her out. keeps it friendly that way.

what do you think?  ;D

p.s. if i were drafting with the #1 pick, i would seriously consider mudaiy. not a center, but the BPA in the draft. and that is how you draft, not based upon need, like portland and sam bowie over jordan.

I am curious on why you would take Mudaiy over Okafor??  just seems so easy to take Okafor? He is the best player in college basketball and 6'11 guys with his skill set just don't become available often??  What I like about Okafor is that he just doesn't do it with his athleticism, he is a very skilled big man, something that we haven't seen in a long time...
good question. i am not firmly and determinedly committed to mudaiy over okafor, but i think it is not a slam dunk, no thought choice for okafor either. almost everything i have read seems to place great value on the POSITION played by okafor and that he does a great job of filling a POSITION that is valuable. most posters here say in some form " we need a rim protector/center = get okafor since he is the best one."

should the celtics draft based upon need or BPA, is my question. this question is followed by, is mudaiy the BPA in this draft?

mudaily fills a position that is not as much in demand in terms of shortage of talent. however, mudaiy seems to be the best player at any one position. he seems to be the one player who might, might, might be transcendent at his position for this draft.

i think a GM should draft on talent, not need. the celtics need a center, but i don't want to repeat the "bowie over jordan" choice either. even if bowie had not been injured, jordan would have turned out to be the better player. (and please, don't say "mudaiy =/= jordan, we all know that.)

here is my question, not firm commitment. will mudaiy turn out to be the better nba player? maybe, maybe not, but i think more discussion is warranted before making okafor an automatic choice.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
C's are going to land in the lottery this year. I say Okafor or Towns

No, it's not. Wishful thinking won't make us better.
true. but since is this a blog and not the celtics' front office, it doesnt hurt either.  :)

I hear you. But EVERYBODY here would draft Okafor or Towns. Everybody. So what's the point of discussing them? If possible, we draft one of them. Until then, we should discuss the other, more likely options, the pros and cons of the 3 to 10 players, like Russell, WCS, Winslow, Hezonja, Looney, Johnson.

i understand, but folks are here for fun as well and if we disallowed posting the obvious not many post would appear here.  ;D one point, and this is just me, i often find it best when i read such posts to invite the poster to rethink or restate, asking a question to draw him or her out. keeps it friendly that way.

what do you think?  ;D

p.s. if i were drafting with the #1 pick, i would seriously consider mudaiy. not a center, but the BPA in the draft. and that is how you draft, not based upon need, like portland and sam bowie over jordan.

I am curious on why you would take Mudaiy over Okafor??  just seems so easy to take Okafor? He is the best player in college basketball and 6'11 guys with his skill set just don't become available often??  What I like about Okafor is that he just doesn't do it with his athleticism, he is a very skilled big man, something that we haven't seen in a long time...

personally i would think real hard about taking mudiay over okafor. okafor def will be a very good nba player, but since he's so polished offensively i really think he's closer to his ceiling than mudiay... but i do think mudiay has a higher ceiling.

furthermore okafor is soild and the safest pick, but some of the things ive seen mudiay do seriously made me see a bit of iverson in him. not saying he's the next iverson, but just in terms of him being able to change speed and direction so quick, not just the height of his vertical, but the speed at which he gets up, his ability to penetrate, his height and ability to see over defense will also be a big  plus if he decides to play at point guard... which is opposite to AI but still awesome.

most importantly he seems driven to win. not saying okafor isn't but im just impressed with mudiay's ferocity. i dont think any coach will have to tell him to stop being passive and get his head in the game. he's all in. but okafor is the safest pick. it would def be a bit more risky to take mudiay but it's something i would seriously look into.

like the poster above said - i don't want to repeat the mistake of picking bowie over jordan.

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Willie Cauley Stein.

I have a bias against foreign players so I would not be happy if we draft Hezonja or Porzingis.

For the WCS doesn't have enough offense for the lottery crowd: An athletic rim running big man can make an offense go by sucking defenders into the paint. Tyson Chandler and DeAndre Jordan aren't considered very good offensive players, but their team performs the best offensively when they are on the court (both lead their teams in offensive rating).

With Bradley, Smart and WCS we would have the makings of a future elite defense. Olynyk and Young could help space the floor to make WCS effective.
WCS fans need to admit that his ability to translate offensively to the NBA is a HUGE question mark.

In college, he can dominate offensively by doing one thing better than everyone else - in the nba  his advantage over the other bigs in the league will be much less pronounced.

Case in point - Brandan Wright had a very similar freshman season to Stein in terms of offensive efficiency (21.5 pts/40 min, 0.646 FG%, 6.2 FTA/40 min) because he can roll hard to the rim and finish over people. We just saw that guy do nothing offensively on the Celtics because teams figure out how to take away what you're good. You need to have option 2, 3 and 4 in your game and be able to score effectively with them. Stein is a year younger than Sullinger and I can't even tell you what option 2 is for him.

Im a Willie Cauley-Stein fan.  Have been since last year's college season.  His offensive game in the NBA will be dunking and setting screens.  That's it.  But that's fine.  Guards who are offensive liabilities can be a problem, because you can sag off them and then recover when you need to.  Centers are different -- you ignore WCS on defense and it's 2 points.  His offense isn't a strength, but he's not a liability because you have to cover him with a post defender.  He doesn't hurt spacing.  I've seen him throw up an occasional nice hook shot, but I don't expect that to translate, nor do I need it to.

His defense is spectacular.  He would be a starter on the majority of NBA teams for his defense right now, much less next year or four years from now.  He's got the size and strength to contest anyone in the post, the lateral quickness to stay in front of guards and wings when switching on P&Rs, and the athleticism to play great help defense.  He's what this team has been missing defensively since Perk tore up his knee in 2010.  He is unequivocally the best defensive big to come along in several years.  When you're seven feet tall and strong as an ox, defense is more important than offense, because who cares if you can make a 15 foot jump shot?

I advocated for Porzingis earlier in this thread in part because I don't think WCS will be there at 7.  If he is, I would be absolutely dismayed of Ainge passed.  DeAndre Jordan is probably going to get between $13-15 million this summer, maybe even from the Celtics.  I would not be surprised if WCS is better than Jordan as early as 2016.  He's light-years ahead of Javale McGee.  Someone like Stein taking up $3-4 million of cap room frees a lot of resources to get quality wing players through trades and free agency.

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
D'angelo russell looks like another kyle lowry. Pg that can really score but not great athlete.

Kaminsky is going to keep skyrocketing up the charts.   Really like Kaminsky

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we will pick higher than that too, our record is going to take a tumble at some point.  Turner could be traded, Bass if he is gone could hurt us.  DA will wreck this team, before the trade deadline some more to ensure a better pick.

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 11:08:22 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
When you're seven feet tall and strong as an ox, defense is more important than offense, because who cares if you can make a 15 foot jump shot?
The other team's center cares. He just wants to sit in the paint and stop the guards from penetrating. Larry Sanders is as good an interior defender as anyone in the league, but he barely plays because he basically turns the other team's big into a great rim protector because he doesn't have to worry about guarding Sanders.

In general I agree with you, and I think WCS is a great prospect. However, some people were arguing that he was actually a plus offensively which he is not. He is a question mark offensively and that does matter.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2015, 11:11:48 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Outside of the top 3 players (Okafor, Towns and Mudiay). I'd like to get a shot at either D'angelo Russell or Kevon Looney. I think both guys could be difference makers at the next level.

I think my Top 7 would be:

1. Okafor
2. Towns
3. Mudiay
4. Looney
5. Russell
6. Porzingis
7. Cauley-Stein

I'd be pretty happy with any of those 7. Things are shaping up for us to get another quality prospect. I think outside the top 7 things get less certain.

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I think we will pick higher than that too, our record is going to take a tumble at some point.  Turner could be traded, Bass if he is gone could hurt us.  DA will wreck this team, before the trade deadline some more to ensure a better pick.

I agree - in the short term, I don't see how they win any of the next five games??

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
At that spot I'm all in on Willie. If we're in between, Ainge will probably try to trade up for Towns or Okafor or back for Stein, I'd think.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 11:35:31 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Kevon Looney. Only 18, & IMO, the best prospect in this draft. Not only do I think he's the best prospect this year, but I think he's a better prospect than anybody drafted last year, including Wiggins/Parker/Smart, etc.

He's got it all. Complete player, just needs time.

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Stanley Johnson or Kevon Looney

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2015, 11:51:04 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
In general I agree with you, and I think WCS is a great prospect. However, some people were arguing that he was actually a plus offensively which he is not. He is a question mark offensively and that does matter.
Doesn't a ? indicate that no one knows? So couldn't a question mark easily turn into a plus?

My argument for him being a plus on offense is that rim rolling athletic bigs are a type of player that can make an offense go from good to great. If you think Olynyk, Young, Smart and Bradley can all be good 3 point shooters, adding a good athletic big to that mix helps space the floor.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:59:26 AM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2015, 01:54:33 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Doesn't a ? indicate that no one knows? So couldn't a question mark easily turn into a plus?

My argument for him being a plus on offense is that rim rolling athletic bigs are a type of player that can make an offense go from good to great. If you think Olynyk, Young, Smart and Bradley can all be good 3 point shooters, adding a good athletic big to that mix helps space the floor.
Absolutely he could become a good offensive player. But right now based on what we do know offense is a concern.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2015, 03:57:29 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
In order of who I would take with top picks...

1. Okafor
2. Mudiay
3. Townes
4. Winslow
5. Johnson
6. Turner
7. Cauley Stein
8. Russell