Author Topic: Draft: Who do you want at #7?  (Read 33616 times)

Re: Draft: Who do you want at #7?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I'm not sure how much stock you guys put in nbadraft.com (I personally respect their opinions of players and they usually end up within 5 picks of where guys actually go), but they put Towns at 6 and WCS at 15 in their latest mock draft. Do you think its a possibility we could get Towns with our pick and WCS with the Clips pick?

WCS is an interesting case - he is a late bloomer and nbadraft doesn't seem to be very high on him - the comp is Sam freaking Dalembert! I like the comparison with Tyson Chandler and I personally think he's low on sites like nbadraft because they are biased in favor of traditional low post big men, but it makes you wonder a bit if he's really that good. Personally I think it would be insane to take a guy like Montrezl Harrell when he's on the board, but we shall see.

I would take Towns if I had the first pick of the draft, and I also think he's going to go higher than 7 because there have been guys with his physical profile and age who were much more raw/had question marks and still got drafted top 3.

nbadraft.net seems outside the norm, Chad Ford and Draft Express seem to be more in line with each other. I think both Dexpress and Ford have more inside contacts in scout cirlces and are more in line with what NBA GMs are thinking. WCS is not falling to 15 unless and injury issue turns up.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Willie Cauley-Stein measured almost exactly as he did a year ago at the Nike Big Man Skills Academy standing 6'11.25 without shoes with a 240-pound frame and 7'2 wingspan. His 6.4% body fat is simply outstanding considering he's gained some 30 pounds since his high school days, while his 3.15 second ¾ court sprint and 12'3 maximum reach are almost identical to the numbers registered by Dwight Howard coming out of high school. The latter ranks among the 10 best marks in our entire database. The 19 reps Cauley-Stein pumped out on the bench (185-pounds like the NBA Combine) are also fairly impressive considering his strength was maligned early in his career. There's no question that Cauley-Stein is currently the gold standard when it comes athletic ability when it comes to center prospects in the college game.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3OzdBIozk
http://www.draftexpress.com

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 09:08:53 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
C's are going to land in the lottery this year. I say Okafor or Towns

No, it's not. Wishful thinking won't make us better.
true. but since is this a blog and not the celtics' front office, it doesnt hurt either.  :)

I hear you. But EVERYBODY here would draft Okafor or Towns. Everybody. So what's the point of discussing them? If possible, we draft one of them. Until then, we should discuss the other, more likely options, the pros and cons of the 3 to 10 players, like Russell, WCS, Winslow, Hezonja, Looney, Johnson.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

true. but since is this a blog and not the celtics' front office, it doesnt hurt either.  :)

I hear you. But EVERYBODY here would draft Okafor or Towns. Everybody. So what's the point of discussing them? If possible, we draft one of them. Until then, we should discuss the other, more likely options, the pros and cons of the 3 to 10 players, like Russell, WCS, Winslow, Hezonja, Looney, Johnson.

i understand, but folks are here for fun as well and if we disallowed posting the obvious not many post would appear here.  ;D one point, and this is just me, i often find it best when i read such posts to invite the poster to rethink or restate, asking a question to draw him or her out. keeps it friendly that way.

what do you think?  ;D

p.s. if i were drafting with the #1 pick, i would seriously consider mudaiy. not a center, but the BPA in the draft. and that is how you draft, not based upon need, like portland and sam bowie over jordan.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

i understand, but folks are here for fun as well and if we disallowed posting the obvious not many post would appear here.  ;D one point, and this is just me, i often find it best when i read such posts to invite the poster to rethink or restate, asking a question to draw him or her out. keeps it friendly that way.

what do you think?  ;D

p.s. if i were drafting with the #1 pick, i would seriously consider mudaiy. not a center, but the BPA in the draft. and that is how you draft, not based upon need, like portland and sam bowie over jordan.

I am curious on why you would take Mudaiy over Okafor??  just seems so easy to take Okafor? He is the best player in college basketball and 6'11 guys with his skill set just don't become available often??  What I like about Okafor is that he just doesn't do it with his athleticism, he is a very skilled big man, something that we haven't seen in a long time...

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I would be thoroughly disappointed if the Celtics drafted WCS with a lotto pick. He seems like a defense only, zero offense type of guy in the NBA. I would rather they and find someone to pair with Smart in the backcourt assuming their pick is in the 4-6 range.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 09:42:26 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
I would be thoroughly disappointed if the Celtics drafted WCS with a lotto pick. He seems like a defense only, zero offense type of guy in the NBA. I would rather they and find someone to pair with Smart in the backcourt assuming their pick is in the 4-6 range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShyHHiY4FOI

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 10:01:49 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If we ended up with the #7 pick I'd be devastated since we'll have the 4th worst record by the end of the season.  We're at #6 right now -- 1 game up on Utah (tied for wins) and 2.5 up on the Lakers (up 1 win).  They should pass us in the next 15 games at most. 

for the sake of argument say we get #4 based on record (no one leapfrogs us) I really want either Okafor or Towns but they'll be gone as will Muiday probably, I'd be reluctant to take such a one-way player as WCS with #4 regardless of how good a defender he may be.   

If I was Danny in that situation, I'd seriously look into sliding down a few spots to get one of the top SF prospects who are likely to still be around with a pick in the 6-8 range and pick up another top young prospect from a team looking to move up. 

WCS could very well still be on the board at that point in addition to good SFs so Danny picks up either the center or SF we need and gets another young prize to boot.

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 10:07:02 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Willie Cauley Stein.

I have a bias against foreign players so I would not be happy if we draft Hezonja or Porzingis.

For the WCS doesn't have enough offense for the lottery crowd: An athletic rim running big man can make an offense go by sucking defenders into the paint. Tyson Chandler and DeAndre Jordan aren't considered very good offensive players, but their team performs the best offensively when they are on the court (both lead their teams in offensive rating).

With Bradley, Smart and WCS we would have the makings of a future elite defense. Olynyk and Young could help space the floor to make WCS effective.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I would take Porzingis if still available.  I think Danny is trying to keep the books as clear as possible for next summer.  Porzingis still has a year left on his Euro deal, and so wouldn't require a cap hold if better ways to spend money present themselves.

He also looks like he could be a pretty special power forward -- the cap flexibility is gravy.  I was disappointed when he didn't make himself available last year, as he would have been great at #17.

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 10:17:26 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
Willie Cauley Stein.

I have a bias against foreign players so I would not be happy if we draft Hezonja or Porzingis.

For the WCS doesn't have enough offense for the lottery crowd: An athletic rim running big man can make an offense go by sucking defenders into the paint. Tyson Chandler and DeAndre Jordan aren't considered very good offensive players, but their team performs the best offensively when they are on the court (both lead their teams in offensive rating).

With Bradley, Smart and WCS we would have the makings of a future elite defense. Olynyk and Young could help space the floor to make WCS effective.

WCS has the same reach as Dwight Howard and seems to have a better basketball IQ.

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 10:21:45 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Willie Cauley Stein.

WCS fans need to admit that his ability to translate offensively to the NBA is a HUGE question mark.

In college, he can dominate offensively by doing one thing better than everyone else - in the nba  his advantage over the other bigs in the league will be much less pronounced.

Case in point - Brandan Wright had a very similar freshman season to Stein in terms of offensive efficiency (21.5 pts/40 min, 0.646 FG%, 6.2 FTA/40 min) because he can roll hard to the rim and finish over people. We just saw that guy do nothing offensively on the Celtics because teams figure out how to take away what you're good at. You need to have option 2, 3 and 4 in your game and be able to score effectively with them. Stein is a year younger than Sullinger and I can't even tell you what option 2 is for him.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 10:27:11 AM by littleteapot »
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I like WCS, he has really improved his game but I would have a hard time taking him over a guy like Stanley Johnson....

Plus how can you not draft a guy named Stanley if you have the opportunity?? 

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
if im at a pick from 4-7, i would go for stanley johnson. per 40 first year of college match paul pierces stats in every major category almost exactly. not saying he'll be that good, but in that range he probably the one prospect with the most athleticism, upside and brains to make use of it. he's actually a lot better than justise winslow, who is just not close to being ready to make the jump to the nba.

second possibility would really be a toss up between myles turner and d'angelo russell.

either way those are my three guys.

i would need to take a super close look at their games, their personality while on the court and their drive to compete, as well as who is the most athletic and their combine measurements to see who has the tools to get much better, and then on top of that i would have to judge who has the most polished and most raw games of the three, and basically determine who has the most upside, but either way i think those are my three guys.

i think we have a chance to grab a quality prospect in this coming draft. just hope danny doesn't mess it up.

also i dont like WCS as he's too old and basically finished growing to really believe he'll get that much better. i think there are a bunch of other guys in the draft who will turn out to be better players in the nba than him.

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd probably go with whichever one of the wings is still on the board = D'Angelo Russell, Stanley Johnson or Justise Winslow.

I hear Kelly Oubre is playing better lately. Maybe him.