Author Topic: Draft: Who do you want at #7?  (Read 33704 times)

Draft: Who do you want at #7?
« on: January 16, 2015, 05:15:29 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Chris Ford randomly has Cs at #7 on draft board. D'Angelo Russell from Ohio State is his projected pick. If we do land at #7, who do you think we take? What about #13?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Draft: Who do you want at #7?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 05:33:35 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Clippers pick won't be at 13. More like between 18 and 21.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 05:35:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
C's are going to land in the lottery this year. I say Okafor or Towns

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 05:47:43 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday

No, it's not. Wishful thinking won't make us better.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 05:53:18 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'd be ok with DAngelo Russell if we were unlucky and got pick 7.
We should be top 5 so Muiday or Russell if we have to take a wing player.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:06:12 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Picks from 4 up are very fluid.

Me personally, provided the top 3 is off the board, I'd love Winslow or Stanley Johnson. I believe both could be our SF of the future. Tough kids.

I'd do a lot of thinking on WCS if he is on the board. Very intriguing personality but I think he might end up not very committed to basketball. Check the BR piece (I know, BR is not a blue print of journalism) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2287213-superstardom-awaits-willie-cauley-steinif-he-finally-decides-he-wants-it

I want no part of Hezonja (too much Kobe).

With the Clips pick, provided it is in the 20-24s I'd love a big in that order Poeltl (if he declares), Upshaw, Dakari.

Tyus Jones looks an intriguing PG to develop for that roster gap. Very poised for his age, good passer, jump shot looks better than his %.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 06:12:55 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He probably isn't a need but I think DA would take Porzingis.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 06:45:38 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
Picks from 4 up are very fluid.

Me personally, provided the top 3 is off the board, I'd love Winslow or Stanley Johnson. I believe both could be our SF of the future. Tough kids.

I'd do a lot of thinking on WCS if he is on the board. Very intriguing personality but I think he might end up not very committed to basketball. Check the BR piece (I know, BR is not a blue print of journalism) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2287213-superstardom-awaits-willie-cauley-steinif-he-finally-decides-he-wants-it

I want no part of Hezonja (too much Kobe).

With the Clips pick, provided it is in the 20-24s I'd love a big in that order Poeltl (if he declares), Upshaw, Dakari.

Tyus Jones looks an intriguing PG to develop for that roster gap. Very poised for his age, good passer, jump shot looks better than his %.

Great post.

I want a SF and a C. The order depends of the position of the pick. I'm with you: off the top 3 I want Winslow (sometimes his playing reminds me of PP) or Johnson, and then use the second pick to grab Dakari or Poeltl (declare, my boy!). If we grab a center with the first pick, then Sam Dekker or Justin Anderson with the second.

About WCS: still don't know what I think about him.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I predict the top of the draft to come together in the fallowing tiers of players

Tier 1 Okafor

Tier 2 Mudiay, Towns

Tier 3 Russell, Prozingis, WCS, Looney, S Johnson, Hezonja

Tier 4 Oubre, Winslow, Turner, Harrell

The #7 pick will place the Cs in the 3rd tier. I think all 6 prospects have some very strong positives.

Hezonja and Looney are probably the biggest risks in the group but also may have the highest ceilings. Both have great size at their positions (if Looney can switch to the 3). Howver both with also face major transitions in the Pros. Looney switching postions and Hezonja coming to USA.

Prozingis is an extreme talent who some say would compete for #1 pick if he where playing in the NCAA. His ACB stat line is very impressive for a 19yr old. My biggest concern with him is going to be his lack of strength and how that will effect his ability to defend. The may turn him into a bit of a project but a super high ceiling project.

Russell has the potential to be a #2 and posibly #1 offensive option. He is a very smooth offensive player who will be able to play either the 2 or the 1. He has enough size for the 2 but will have to get stronger. He is probebly one the of highest floor guys in this lottery.

WCS everyone knows about, kid can flat out play D. He will be a contributor from day 1 his offense will be limited but the D will make up for it.

S Johnson he is a beast at SF he is basicly the same size as Bass, with a slightly shorter wingspan (6'11 vs 7'1). To compare Melo was 233lbs at the predraft Johnson was 245 before college and he looks like an NFL DE. He is physically a dead ringer for Ron Artest/Metta World. He plays good D, rebounds and attacks the hoop. His biggest knock coming into college was his outside shot but he is currently shooting just under 42% from 3 on 3 attempts per game. He is also the youngest guy I listed in this post. He doesn't turn 19 till May.

If I had to pick one guy form this tier I would probably go with WCS just for the sake of positional value. Rim protectors are hard to come by and he should be an elite one. After that I prob go with Russell then totally torn in a three way trade with Johnson, Looney and Prozingis.   

The Clips pick I expect to be 18-21 and think DA makes it a counter move for BPA opposite who he drafted in the Lottery. What I mean is if DA goes with WCS then he will move up or down to find a wing he likes (Booker, Hollis-Jefferson or Grant to name a couple). If he goes wing in Lottery he will move (likely up) for a player like Poeltl or Turner

Bill Walton and I would both be happy with an all Pac-12 first round S Johnson and Jakob Poeltl.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:39:36 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 08:23:24 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Willie Cauley Stein in a heartbeat.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 08:33:18 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Chris Ford randomly has Cs at #7 on draft board. D'Angelo Russell from Ohio State is his projected pick. If we do land at #7, who do you think we take? What about #13?

Not random, we're around that pick if its based on just standings.

First pick (if we get lucky): Towns or Okafor. Otherwise Johnson, WCS, Winslow, or Hezonja.
Clips and Dallas pick: Hollis Jefferson, Kaminsky, D. Johnson, Alexander.

BPA should be the strategy but we need SF's and centers. Smart, AB, Young, Sully, and KO have the 1,2, and 4 covered.

I'm hoping we trade the 2 late 1sts for a higher one like Chicago did last year to get McBuckets but it looks like a lot of guys will still be available come 20-25.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 08:35:23 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I'm not sure how much stock you guys put in nbadraft.com (I personally respect their opinions of players and they usually end up within 5 picks of where guys actually go), but they put Towns at 6 and WCS at 15 in their latest mock draft. Do you think its a possibility we could get Towns with our pick and WCS with the Clips pick?

WCS is an interesting case - he is a late bloomer and nbadraft doesn't seem to be very high on him - the comp is Sam freaking Dalembert! I like the comparison with Tyson Chandler and I personally think he's low on sites like nbadraft because they are biased in favor of traditional low post big men, but it makes you wonder a bit if he's really that good. Personally I think it would be insane to take a guy like Montrezl Harrell when he's on the board, but we shall see.

I would take Towns if I had the first pick of the draft, and I also think he's going to go higher than 7 because there have been guys with his physical profile and age who were much more raw/had question marks and still got drafted top 3.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 08:43:49 AM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday

I'm hoping we trade the 2 late 1sts for a higher one like Chicago did last year to get McBuckets but it looks like a lot of guys will still be available come 20-25.

Me too. I'd love to draft a C, a SF and then grab Tyus Jones with a third pick.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I am all in on Stanley Johnson if he is available but I am thinking he goes top 5 by the time the draft comes around.  I think you could eventually play Young at the 2 and Johnson at the 3....Johnson is such a good rebounder that you could go small and play him at the 4 for some small stretches...

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

No, it's not. Wishful thinking won't make us better.
true. but since is this a blog and not the celtics' front office, it doesnt hurt either.  :)

but to stick with the thread's topic, at #7 i would pick in this order, depending upon whom is available:

WCS
Russell
Looney
Johnson

after WCS, any of those three are fine with me. i am assuming porzingas is off the board by #7.

herzonja i would pass on entirely. on the write ups i have seen he is a guy with great individual talent, but seems awfully self-absorbed and more interested in his own game than the team. but then, that is off of a single write up of him. if more info comes out i would change my opinion.

for the second pick, it will probably in be in 21-24 range. poetl would be my preference, but the low twenties maybe a bit high to snag him or dakari of kentucky. maybe ainge trades down, get another asset and still gets him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva