Author Topic: Kings willing to trade Stauskas for frontcourt help  (Read 15584 times)

Re: Kings willing to trade Stauskas for frontcourt help
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 06:31:16 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Bass and 2nd for stauskus

Bass and one of our late 1sts??  I think I would do it.  Stauskus should be better than a player we draft after pick #20. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 06:32:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
NS 5.5 PER, +/- per 100 possessions -17
KO 16.2 PER, +/- per 100 possessions +5

Why do I want to trade KO for Staukas?

Never compare a rookie to a sophomore, unless the rookie is doing better.  McLemore was performing just as poorly last year, and now he's quite valuable.  Not to mention Sacramento's coaching situation has been unsettled this year.

Guarantee next year a lot of people will say "I told you so" about Stauskas when he comes into his own.  I will be one of them.

What will you say about KO and his game, 2-3 years down the road ?

It's tough to project on anyone, and it's waaaay early to grade these 2 out as a finished product.  That's why I take the 7 footer all day who looks to be extremely skilled.  He's just a year and a half into the project.
The problem is that Olynyk is unlikely to gain any footspeed, grow longer arms, or bigger hands. As a result, I feel it's pretty safe to conclude that his game will lie somewhere between Steve Novak and Ryan Anderson for the rest of his career.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 06:36:03 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
I would send KO to SACTO for Stauskus 7 days per week and twice on Sunday.

Stauskus actually has a position and premium skill.  KO is just random, and bad.  Trade him before other teams realize he's bad too. 

In the System Boston is developing you need 3 things.  A guard that can break down defenses, much like what we saw Jeff Teague do last night.  The second thing you need is high quality low post play...The "Sun" to the planets sorta thing.  Hopefully that piece is Jahlil Okafor (I can dream). ..and the 3rd thing you need are guys around that who can space the floor on offense and defend hard on the other end. 

The Spurs are the perfect example of sustained success around this formula.  Duncan is the Sun...Parker is the penetrating guard that breaks down defenses and can score in isolation...and then Manu and the revolving parts they've had through the years typically can shoot and defend. 

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 06:36:16 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Never compare a rookie to a sophomore, unless the rookie is doing better.  McLemore was performing just as poorly last year, and now he's quite valuable.  Not to mention Sacramento's coaching situation has been unsettled this year.

Guarantee next year a lot of people will say "I told you so" about Stauskas when he comes into his own.  I will be one of them.
OK, let me compare a soph to a soph.

BM 9.9 PER,   +/- per 100 possessions -5

Just how valuable is McLemore?

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2015, 06:41:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

We're not really measuring "value" with +/- here, right?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That and PER between guards and power forwards/centers.

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
No way do I give up KO for Stauskas. No way in hell.

KO has shown he can play and contribute at this level. Maybe he should be the first big off the bench and no more but the kid can play. Stauskas, on the other hand, has looked dreadful. At no point has he shown that he can do anything. His per 36 numbers make Austin Rivers look like a stud - 9.3 p/36, 2.7 r/36, 1.7 a/36 and he's horrible defensively. Those numbers are so bad they're almost mind-boggling. Seriously, he may be the worst guy in the NBA to play over 500 minutes this year. That's not an exaggeration. I dare you to find someone else who is posting worse stats and will get over 500 minutes this year.

That doesn't mean he can't improve. JJ Redick was a similar wreck until he learned how to play the pro game. But look at Redick, he's now a 15 ppg scorer and a liability on defense. He's a contributor but not a star and that may be Stauskas's TOP UPSIDE. Let me state that again - JJ Redick may be the most Stauskas can hope to achieve and that's a long shot at this stage. If the best he can do is to be Redick - and again that's a long shot given his current production - why would you give up a 23 year old 7 footer who already is averaging over 11 points and 5 boards a game? Why give up proven production for a guy who hasn't shown anything and whose upside isn't that great?

In short, no one is going to give the Kings anything of value for Stauskas. Bass and maybe the Cleveland 1st rounder would be about the best package they could hope for and I'm not sure I'd do that. I probably wouldn't unless somehow I was very, very high on Nik coming out of college.

Plus, where do you find minutes for him? AB is already the starter and we're trying to find minutes for James Young (at SG and SF). Marcus Thornton is better than Stauskas as well. At this stage would you rather give minutes to Young or Nik? At this stage I like Young, so he's getting the minutes.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 06:59:08 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
yep! take it or leave it
we don't need to dump any of our younger guys this year, i might up it to late 1st rounder

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 07:03:16 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

You want to make a case by the numbers for Staukas and Mclemore, please do. i'll be happy to take the other side.

I'm not a fan of PER or +/- FWIW, but they're quick and dirty indicators.  By my eyes, both McLemore and Staukas suck. Maybe they get to mediocrity, but I see nothing that makes me want to get a couple of guards who haven't lived up to their draft position.

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 07:05:41 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

That and PER between guards and power forwards/centers.
I make you the same offer I made kozlodoev.  Otherwise, I told you so this year.

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 07:07:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

You want to make a case by the numbers for Staukas and Mclemore, please do. i'll be happy to take the other side.

I'm not a fan of PER or +/- FWIW, but they're quick and dirty indicators.  By my eyes, both McLemore and Staukas suck. Maybe they get to mediocrity, but I see nothing that makes me want to get a couple of guards who haven't lived up to their draft position.
82games.com and Basketball Reference are telling me that the Kings are much better with McLemore on the floor than with him off. Which also isn't the end of all player evaluation, but I don't think an argument that McLemore is developing into a productive player is unreasonable.

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 07:14:21 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

82games.com and Basketball Reference are telling me that the Kings are much better with McLemore on the floor than with him off. Which also isn't the end of all player evaluation, but I don't think an argument that McLemore is developing into a productive player is unreasonable.
Hitting me with a +/- argument?! Whatever. PER is under 10.

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 07:17:50 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
McLemore has been solid this year.  Stauskas has sucked.  I hear rookies are supposed to suck though.

Hard to believe that Olynyk's PER is over 16.  Hollinger would say this makes him an above average PF, huh?  Hmmm...

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
McLemore has been solid this year.  Stauskas has sucked.  I hear rookies are supposed to suck though.

Hard to believe that Olynyk's PER is over 16.  Hollinger would say this makes him an above average PF, huh?  Hmmm...

PER loves big guys. According to the current rankings there are 42 "above average" centers in the league right now, with the closest to "average" being Henry Sims and Dewayne Dedmon at 15.07 and 15.09.

In contrast, in our current point guard rich league PER says only 30 PGs are above average, with the borderline guys including Rondo (15.11), Rose (15.60), Reggie Jackson (15.36) etc.

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 08:03:46 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
yep! take it or leave it
we don't need to dump any of our younger guys this year, i might up it to late 1st rounder

You probably have to include the non-expiring contract of Ramon Sessions to make the salary cap math work.  That should affect the draft compensation involved in any trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference