Author Topic: Kings shopping Stauskas  (Read 15591 times)

Re: Kings shopping Stauskas
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 11:50:48 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Stauskas has got terrific size and shooting skill and could ultimately become what everyone was hoping Jimmer Fredette would become.
I was baffled by the owners insistence on picking him when they aired the Kings mini documentary leading up to draft night but I can understand why he was touted as a lottery pick.

LOL at those that are questioning we'd trade Brandon Bass's expiring contract for Nick Stauskas' rookie contract. You've got to be kidding right?

The minimum we'd need to give up would be Bass+Clippers pick+Philly picks and even then they'd probably require two late first rounders as a minimum to go along with Bass.

Stauskas ceiling is like a rich man's version of Kyle Korver- he's an incredible shooter.

Much to my dismay I wasn't alive for a little more than half of 90s NBA basketball and thus never watched Chris Mullin. If I did I was too young to remember him.

Any similarities between Stauskas and Mullin? I love playing with Mullin on 2K and thus if there is a comparison to be made I would fully support Stauskas in a Celtic uniform.  ;D

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 11:55:02 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Stauskas has got terrific size and shooting skill and could ultimately become what everyone was hoping Jimmer Fredette would become.
I was baffled by the owners insistence on picking him when they aired the Kings mini documentary leading up to draft night but I can understand why he was touted as a lottery pick.

LOL at those that are questioning if we'd trade Brandon Bass's expiring contract for Nick Stauskas' rookie contract. You've got to be kidding right? Danny would have made that trade before they could finish the sentence lol.

The minimum we'd need to give up would be Bass+Clippers pick+Philly picks and even then they'd probably require two late first rounders as a minimum to go along with Bass.

Stauskas ceiling is like a rich man's version of Kyle Korver- he's an incredible shooter.

I don't feel like looking back but I don't remember anyone not going for it from the Cs side of it. I'm sure most (close to all) would do it.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2015, 12:01:21 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

LOL at those that are questioning we'd trade Brandon Bass's expiring contract for Nick Stauskas' rookie contract. You've got to be kidding right?

Much to my dismay I wasn't alive for a little more than half of 90s NBA basketball and thus never watched Chris Mullin. If I did I was too young to remember him.

Any similarities between Stauskas and Mullin? I love playing with Mullin on 2K and thus if there is a comparison to be made I would fully support Stauskas in a Celtic uniform.  ;D

No. 3's weren't a huge part of Mullin's game, he relied more on the mid-range game. He could also get his shot off and didn't need to be set up to score. Also, a very sneaky player in the passing lanes. I remember having him very quick hands. Good ballhandler/passer too.

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2015, 12:06:52 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

No. 3's weren't a huge part of Mullin's game, he relied more on the mid-range game. He could also get his shot off and didn't need to be set up to score. Also, a very sneaky player in the passing lanes. I remember having him very quick hands. Good ballhandler/passer too.

Isn't Stauskas a pretty savvy ball handler and passer himself? I thought he played some point for last year's Michigan squad. I also thought one of his strengths was having the potential to be a shot-creator, both for himself and others.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2015, 12:17:31 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
LOL at those that are questioning if we'd trade Brandon Bass's expiring contract for Nick Stauskas' rookie contract. You've got to be kidding right? Danny would have made that trade before they could finish the sentence lol.

The contracts don't match, so at a minimum the Celtics would have to take on Ramon Sessions and his contract for next season or else take on a couple of smaller contracts.  The more likely case is that Sacramento wants an upgrade on Jason Thompson and want to use Stauskus as the sweetener to get a team to take on Thompson's contract with Derrick Williams as an expiring contract who can be added to the deal if more money is needed.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2015, 12:57:09 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
For those debating the definition of "stretch 4"... who cares. Bass is known for one of the best midrange games out there, and above average defense. He's a terrible passer and average defender, and doesn't block shots - so on balance, he's more like a rotation guy. But he could pair well with a high usage, star center who will get all of the focus like Cousins.

Bass + Turner + 1st (Clippers or Memphis) + 2nd (Philly)
<=>
Stauskus + Williams

Would be my offer. Sacramento could play Bass at PF/C and Turner at PG/SF, and immediately upgrade their rotation w/o a lot of risk, because they can replace Stauskus with the future picks. Celtics save yet another $3.2M off their cap next year, and get to roll the dice on Stauskus as the future SG.

Smart / Stauskus / Young / Sullinger / Draft pick ?

Sac. might want more, but that's about what I think we should put out there.

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2015, 01:01:48 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Any similarities between Stauskas and Mullin?

They're both getting paid by the Sacramento Kings.

Other than that, I agree with Eddie. Mullin was a more complete player on both ends. But I do see Stauskas as at least having the potential to be more well-rounded than Korver.

(On your point chambers - Kyle Korver is a rich man's version of Kyle Korver. I've detailed this elsewhere but he's having what is arguably the best pure shooting season in NBA history so far this year. I can't believe more people aren't talking about it.)

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2015, 01:15:34 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Any similarities between Stauskas and Mullin?

They're both getting paid by the Sacramento Kings.

Other than that, I agree with Eddie. Mullin was a more complete player on both ends. But I do see Stauskas as at least having the potential to be more well-rounded than Korver.

(On your point chambers - Kyle Korver is a rich man's version of Kyle Korver. I've detailed this elsewhere but he's having what is arguably the best pure shooting season in NBA history so far this year. I can't believe more people aren't talking about it.)

Oh, he's being talked about, but it's because he spends all of his time with Mila Kunis raising their newborn (sarcasm). ;) ::) ;D

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2015, 01:20:27 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Isn't Stauskas a pretty savvy ball handler and passer himself? I thought he played some point for last year's Michigan squad. I also thought one of his strengths was having the potential to be a shot-creator, both for himself and others.

Stauskas would have to 'possess' the 'lateral quickness' of KO before we could even begin to have this discussion, haha. ;D  Every time I've watched a video of Mullin on YouTube, he looks like he's running uphill in mud, lol.  Sidebar - I can never be a fan of KO now, because I just realized that his initials also stand for Kelly Osbourne, lol. ;D  Mind = blown ahaha ;D 

Anyway, look at how slow Mullin was in this video, lol. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHg736-JiWQ
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:35:56 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2015, 01:23:44 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
"He hasn't done anything". I hear that way too often. Okafor hasn't done anything either, but I would trade any asset we have on our roster for him, wouldn't you? It's about vision and having the ability to correctly gauge what a player will become. Because after he actually "does something" then it becomes a lot harder to acquire the player.

One is in the NBA with a PER of 5.5 and one isn't. There's a big difference.

Name one player in the NBA who has played 500 minutes this season and has played worse than Stauskas. Just one.

So that's it, his fate is sealed? How'd McLemore do last season?
How is McLemore doing this year? He's not exactly killing it. #FG% falling reverting back to his mean.

Based on sorted downloaded Basketball-reference.com advanced stats:

JS is 24th of 105 PFs based on PER,
KO is 31st of 74 centers,
BM is 71st of 122 SGs, and
NS is 98th of 122 SGs.

None of these guys are good defenders (Bos is worst in NBA vs PFs, SAC 3rd worst againt SGs, and BOS below average against opposing centers), so I'll take our bigs above average offense over the below average offense of the Kings' SGs. For the minutes they played as rookies, McLemore was and Staukas is at  the very bottom level of PER. Coincidentally, both were on the trading block before the trade deadline as rookies. MclLemore was again this summer and would be again this trading deadline if Staukas, the player chosen to be his replacement, didn't turn out to be worse.

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2015, 01:37:06 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
From ESPN 1/15/15:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12169720/rookie-rankings-halfway-point

Most Surprising (bad): Nik Stauskas, Kings

Stauskas, 21, arrived to a team in desperate need of a skilled shooter after dominating the Big Ten. So many thought he would be the rare rookie with a clear chance to play a defined role for his team.

Instead there are arguments that he is the single-worst rotation player in the NBA, based on complete ineffectiveness on offense while being a real problem on defense (though fellow rookie Zach LaVine will rival Stauskas in the "worst rotation player in the league" award").

Couple of 1sts can bring that skill set here.

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2015, 06:37:49 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
stauksas is really stinking it up, however i rather his potential than sully production, with sully i see no upside, three years in the league and still not in shape and he knows his had back issues, no excuses. I rather trade sullys than the clips and phillies pick for staukas. I wouldn't trade kelly for him.

something like sully+thornton for williams+stauksas would make sense

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2015, 07:04:06 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
"He hasn't done anything". I hear that way too often. Okafor hasn't done anything either, but I would trade any asset we have on our roster for him, wouldn't you? It's about vision and having the ability to correctly gauge what a player will become. Because after he actually "does something" then it becomes a lot harder to acquire the player.

One is in the NBA with a PER of 5.5 and one isn't. There's a big difference.

Name one player in the NBA who has played 500 minutes this season and has played worse than Stauskas. Just one.

Well all of the following have a worse net rating, and all average more than 10 mins a game: MCW, Tony Wroten, Halsem, Jordan Hill, Nerlens Noel, Anthony Bennet, Chase Budinger, Jose Calderon, Dimwiddie, Levine and.....Kobe

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/advanced/?CF=MIN*G*10&sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1

And they all play for far worse teams. Net rating isn't a great way to evaluate a single player. Every single person you mentioned has a higher PER (which isn't the end-all be-all rating either) and better stats. I tried and I can't find a worse player than Nik this season.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2015, 07:34:13 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This is crazy talk!

No way do you trade KO or any of our bigs for Stauskas.

He could become a good player but right now I'm fine with seeing how Young develops, we don't need 2 young shooters to develop when we have a hard enough time trying to get Young on the court right now.