Author Topic: Kings shopping Stauskas  (Read 15592 times)

Re: Kings shopping Stauskas
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 08:38:05 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Here are some Stauskas trade ideas from the Kings blog.   :o

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Stauskas and Session for Faried and Gary Harris
Terrence Jones

So, there you have it folks.  We're out of the running.

Most of those seem pretty fair to me, with the odd 2nd rounder going one way or the other.

Danny's already traded our two best players for little more than late first rounders that might come far in the future. How on earth could we expect to swap our remaining dreck for someone who was just picked 8th in a pretty good draft? (Only two spots after Smart and 8 before Nurkic, by the way).

I just don't get why draft position has much to do with anything. There have been plenty of busts in the lottery. I'm not saying Stauskas will never reach the potential of an 8th pick, I'm saying I need to see more before I would trade those guys for him. Not saying they are world beaters, just  wouldn't do it.

How many of those players would you trade Smart for?

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 09:03:44 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Terrence Jones

Most of those seem pretty fair to me, with the odd 2nd rounder going one way or the other.

Danny's already traded our two best players for little more than late first rounders that might come far in the future. How on earth could we expect to swap our remaining dreck for someone who was just picked 8th in a pretty good draft? (Only two spots after Smart and 8 before Nurkic, by the way).

I just don't get why draft position has much to do with anything. There have been plenty of busts in the lottery. I'm not saying Stauskas will never reach the potential of an 8th pick, I'm saying I need to see more before I would trade those guys for him. Not saying they are world beaters, just  wouldn't do it.

Smart already shows an elite NBA skill.  Stauskas hasn't.  But your question is fair.  All of us are rooting for Smart because he's our guy. I suppose they feel the same way about Stauskas.  I have an emotional attachment that makes me see the Smart deal differently.  Regardless of trade fairness, I want to see Smart win in green.

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 09:26:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Wish they d shop Cousins

What had Staukas done since being drafted

Nothing much I ve heard of

Smart looks like an a all star in comparison.

I d trade Bass or Thornton for him ...as a gamble

KO ? ...got to be kidding .....big s that can pass and shoot are rare ........he might be traded but it won't be cheap. .....not for a scrub like Staukas

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 09:34:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Wish they d shop Cousins

What had Staukas done since being drafted

Nothing much I ve heard of

Smart looks like an a all star in comparison.

I d trade Bass or Thornton for him ...as a gamble

KO ? ...got to be kidding .....big s that can pass and shoot are rare ........he might be traded but it won't be cheap. .....not for a scrub like Staukas

"He hasn't done anything". I hear that way too often. Okafor hasn't done anything either, but I would trade any asset we have on our roster for him, wouldn't you? It's about vision and having the ability to correctly gauge what a player will become. Because after he actually "does something" then it becomes a lot harder to acquire the player.

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:05 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Terrence Jones

None right now but if I was the other team and had to choose between trading any of them for Smart or Stauskas, it's not up for debate to me, I take Smart... that's not a homer opinion either.

Edit: it also depends on need.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:15 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The Faried and Harris one  is laughable. No way Nuggets do that. Harris and Staukas are close already.

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 10:29:15 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'm not necessarily in favor of this, but it seems like Sully is the logical option if we were really interested. 
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Terrence Jones

Smart already shows an elite NBA skill.  Stauskas hasn't.  But your question is fair.  All of us are rooting for Smart because he's our guy. I suppose they feel the same way about Stauskas.  I have an emotional attachment that makes me see the Smart deal differently.  Regardless of trade fairness, I want to see Smart win in green.

That's all I'm saying. I personally would not trade Smart for anyone on that list, and my initial reaction was "Stauskas couldn't bring back any of those guys."

But I think it seems reasonable that some third team would actually value Smart and Stauskas more closely than a set of Celtics and Kings fans. They were only picked two slots from each other, and it'd be silly to read too much into their first 40 games in the NBA.

And while your point about Smart being an NBA defender is a good one, the consensus on Stauskas was that he had one elite NBA skill too. The fact that he's underperformed in limited minutes so far doesn't tell us a whole lot, especially on that train wreck of a team. And his 3PT% has gone from 24%/28%/33% in Nov/Dec/Jan - like it does for a lot of young guys who end up being good players.

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 10:50:20 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
"He hasn't done anything". I hear that way too often. Okafor hasn't done anything either, but I would trade any asset we have on our roster for him, wouldn't you? It's about vision and having the ability to correctly gauge what a player will become. Because after he actually "does something" then it becomes a lot harder to acquire the player.

One is in the NBA with a PER of 5.5 and one isn't. There's a big difference.

Name one player in the NBA who has played 500 minutes this season and has played worse than Stauskas. Just one.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 10:51:16 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

All this Bass + a second rounder stuff is cheap. Bass and one of the weirdo lousy strings-attached first rounders (like the memphis pick) would still be a reasonable offer.

That said, I'm not particularly interested in Stauskas right now.

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 10:53:21 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I'm not necessarily in favor of this, but it seems like Sully is the logical option if we were really interested.

Er...no. Just...no. Bass and a 2nd is probably too much.

Sully is putting up 14/8 and a PER of 18. Nik Stinkyass is putting up 3/1 with a PER of 5.5. And they're only a year apart.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:58 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ

Name one player in the NBA who has played 500 minutes this season and has played worse than Stauskas. Just one.

Well all of the following have a worse net rating, and all average more than 10 mins a game: MCW, Tony Wroten, Halsem, Jordan Hill, Nerlens Noel, Anthony Bennet, Chase Budinger, Jose Calderon, Dimwiddie, Levine and.....Kobe

http://stats.nba.com/league/player/#!/advanced/?CF=MIN*G*10&sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

So that's it, his fate is sealed? How'd McLemore do last season?

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 11:16:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't like trading big for small. Bass is a good player but I would do that trade as Cs GM (Bass is a big but barely LOL). If I'm Kings I probably do it b/c I think Bass would be nice next to Cousins. I don't know about giving up on early lotto picks this early in their career so I would probably have to think hard about it after I see Stauskas behind the scenes. I guess I would decide more on it depending on if I think my team can still make the playoffs... that Bass move would strictly be for that b/c it would be a waste otherwise.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 11:47:57 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Stauskas has got terrific size and shooting skill and could ultimately become what everyone was hoping Jimmer Fredette would become.
I was baffled by the owners insistence on picking him when they aired the Kings mini documentary leading up to draft night but I can understand why he was touted as a lottery pick.

LOL at those that are questioning if we'd trade Brandon Bass's expiring contract for Nick Stauskas' rookie contract. You've got to be kidding right? Danny would have made that trade before they could finish the sentence lol.

The minimum we'd need to give up would be Bass+Clippers pick+Philly picks and even then they'd probably require two late first rounders as a minimum to go along with Bass.

Stauskas ceiling is like a rich man's version of Kyle Korver- he's an incredible shooter.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.