Author Topic: Kings shopping Stauskas  (Read 15554 times)

Re: Kings shopping Stauskas
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 05:40:59 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

If just one GM shared your opinion, you'd have to think Bass would've been moved by now with all of the value placed on stretch 4's in the current NBA.

Agreed. On CsBlog Bass is a Stretch 4. In the real world he's a tweener energy guy with an above average midrange jumper and some defensive chops.
I guess that means you believe Kevin Garnett only has an "above average" midrange jumper? Because Bass is slightly better than Garnett from 10 feet out for his career.

A big who can hit jumpers from 16+ feet at a ~46% is a stretch big alright.

Examples of stretch bigs:
Kevin Love
Ryan Anderson
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Bosh

A stretch four should be able to at least sniff 30% shooting from 3 pt range.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 05:49:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

If just one GM shared your opinion, you'd have to think Bass would've been moved by now with all of the value placed on stretch 4's in the current NBA.

Agreed. On CsBlog Bass is a Stretch 4. In the real world he's a tweener energy guy with an above average midrange jumper and some defensive chops.
I guess that means you believe Kevin Garnett only has an "above average" midrange jumper? Because Bass is slightly better than Garnett from 10 feet out for his career.

Kevin Love
Ryan Anderson
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Bosh

Apparently not everyone agrees with this:

A stretch forward doesn’t necessarily have to step out and stand in the corners for broken-play threes. The ability to hit the long two, however much one might think it is worth, can open up lanes just as effectively.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1448976-top-seven-best-stretch-fowards-in-the-nba/page/3

Yes, I know it's Bleacher Report. And still, the logic applies.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 05:59:46 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 05:51:56 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle

Kevin Love
Ryan Anderson
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Bosh

According to basketball reference, KG has a career 3P% of .277. What is he then, if he's not a true strech four?
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 06:04:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Kevin Love
Ryan Anderson
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Bosh

Apparently not everyone agrees with this:

A stretch forward doesn’t necessarily have to step out and stand in the corners for broken-play threes. The ability to hit the long two, however much one might think it is worth, can open up lanes just as effectively.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1448976-top-seven-best-stretch-fowards-in-the-nba/page/3

Yes, I know it's Bleacher Report. And still, the logic applies.

From the same article:
LeBron James didn't make the cut, and while he is the superior player to all of the listed, he isn't nearly the same deep threat.

The article contradicts itself, which is why I don't cite BR.

And I'll just go on record; I don't think KG is a stretch four. He was a talented pick & pop player who was above average from midrange,but when I think of stretch four I think of a bigman who can step out and hit a 3.

Kevin Love
Ryan Anderson
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Bosh

According to basketball reference, KG has a career 3P% of .277. What is he then, if he's not a true strech four?

Well, this discussion was originally about Bass before Kozlodoev started talking about KG and we went on a tangent. Bass is a 13% shooter from 3pt range for his career.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
NS 5.5 PER, +/- per 100 possessions -17
KO 16.2 PER, +/- per 100 possessions +5

Why do I want to trade KO for Staukas?

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 06:20:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
From the same article:
LeBron James didn't make the cut, and while he is the superior player to all of the listed, he isn't nearly the same deep threat.

The article contradicts itself, which is why I don't cite BR.
I'm not seeing how this is a contradiction -- there's a difference between "superior player" and "superior shooter from deep".

Note that the article is from 2012, and LeBron was just starting to establish himself as a consistent shooter. His body of work from his first stint with the Cavs showed an inconsistent play who was shooting in the high 30% from outside 10 ft, and low 30% from three.

Well, this discussion was originally about Bass before Kozlodoev started talking about KG and we went on a tangent. Bass is a 13% shooter from 3pt range for his career.
The discussion was about what the Kings need, and if they're looking for a big to stretch the floor with his jump shot, there aren't many on the market that can do that more adequately than Bass.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 07:29:55 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Bass is a stretch 4.

Stretch 4= 3pt range.
A midrange jump shot stretches the floor just fine.

A big who can hit jumpers from 16+ feet at a ~46% is a stretch big alright. The reason why Bass isn't all that hot of a commodity is because he can't rebound, and his size makes him a defensive liability against bigger PFs.

Great. So become an NBA GM and Ainge'll trade you Bass for more than he's worth. Or keep blogging at a rate that suggests your social prospects are a little limited, and keep telling yourself those who are see him as one. Either way, it's not reality.

By the way, anyone ever call KG a stretch 4? Google it. The Wikipedia definition is worth the read in and of itself.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:44:05 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 07:41:41 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Here are some Stauskas trade ideas from the Kings blog.   :o

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Stauskas and Session for Faried and Gary Harris
Terrence Jones

So, there you have it folks.  We're out of the running.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 07:51:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Terrence Jones

LOL. I'm glad I'm not a GM b/c I would lose a lot of friends around the league if anyone called me on any of these guys for Stauskas (deals like these). We may overate our guys but I have seen much worse than what we ever say. I'm not saying the guy can't get better, I'm just saying I don't do it right now with what I have seen. I do watch the Kings, I really like watching Cousins.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Terrence Jones

Most of those seem pretty fair to me, with the odd 2nd rounder going one way or the other.

Danny's already traded our two best players for little more than late first rounders that might come far in the future. How on earth could we expect to swap our remaining dreck for someone who was just picked 8th in a pretty good draft? (Only two spots after Smart and 8 before Nurkic, by the way).

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 07:57:16 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Terrence Jones

Most of those seem pretty fair to me, with the odd 2nd rounder going one way or the other.

Danny's already traded our two best players for little more than late first rounders that might come far in the future. How on earth could we expect to swap our remaining dreck for someone who was just picked 8th in a pretty good draft? (Only two spots after Smart and 8 before Nurkic, by the way).

I just don't get why draft position has much to do with anything. There have been plenty of busts in the lottery. I'm not saying Stauskas will never reach the potential of an 8th pick, I'm saying I need to see more before I would trade those guys for him. Not saying they are world beaters, just  wouldn't do it.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Terrence Jones

Sometimes I feel like I'm living on a different planet.  I think all of those deals are ludicrous.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 08:11:09 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Terrence Jones

Sometimes I feel like I'm living on a different planet.  I think all of those deals are ludicrous.

The Taj Gibson one could make sense in the summer with the Bulls salary crunch. The Nurkic one is laughable. They do that draft over and I'm pretty sure Nurkic gets taken over Stauskas.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 08:14:25 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Terrence Jones

The Taj Gibson one could make sense in the summer with the Bulls salary crunch. The Nurkic one is laughable. They do that draft over and I'm pretty sure Nurkic gets taken over Stauskas.
I think Nurkic goes 5th or 6th in a redraft, bumping Gordon, and depending on how you feel about Smart.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 08:28:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Ryan Anderson
Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans
Nurkic
Terrence Jones

I think Nurkic goes 5th or 6th in a redraft, bumping Gordon, and depending on how you feel about Smart.

I think there are more questions with Exum than either Smart or Gordon (like Embiid, we won't have any idea what he is all about until next year so his 'stock' should still be in tact).