Author Topic: Recommend some good tv shows?  (Read 9111 times)

Recommend some good tv shows?
« on: January 15, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
I've been having a lot of free time lately (largely being due to nursing a torn miniscus) and I've been looking to start a new tv series. So what can you guys recommend? I recently watched the mentalist and I loved the whole murder mystery/catching unknown serial killer theme.

So in short what shows do you guys recommend? 

Re: Recommend some good tv shows?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Hannibal is fantastic if you like psychological thrillers and can deal with a LOT of blood, violence and gore. Like a lot of it. Tons.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:46:31 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I've been having a lot of free time lately (largely being due to nursing a torn miniscus) and I've been looking to start a new tv series. So what can you guys recommend? I recently watched the mentalist and I loved the whole murder mystery/catching unknown serial killer theme.

Have to ask: do you have Netflix?

Recently saw the TV miniseries The Assets, about Aldrich Ames, the infamous mole within the CIA who sold secrets to Russia during the height of the Cold War. Short, about 8 episodes, but well done, I thought.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:52:13 PM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser

Have to ask: do you have Netflix?

Recently saw the TV miniseries The Assets, about Aldrich Ames, the infamous mole within the CIA who sold secrets to Russia during the height of the Cold War. Short, about 8 episodes, but well done, I thought.

No I don't, but in my country I can get my hands on any tv show ever created for quite cheap actually.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 12:56:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If you liked the Mentalist and have a sense of humor you can tryout Psych. It's one of my favorite shows and the mentalist ripped them off so hard.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:02:51 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
2 seasons into Oz and I'm loving it.  If you haven't seen the big ones like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones I'd check those out too.

I've also heard Fargo is pretty good but I've yet to watch it.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 01:06:46 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
My favorite tv shows are:

Justified
Game of Thrones
American Horror Story
Fargo
Battlestar Galactica (reruns)
Portlandia

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 01:07:09 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

if you love that, you should watch True Detective.  Amazing....
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 01:07:47 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
send vote for assets and breaking bad

House of cards is currently. my fav

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 01:18:17 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
2 seasons into Oz and I'm loving it. 

Enjoy the good times my friend.  That show began pretty great but when it started circling the drain, it went down fast.

To the OP, if you like the Mentalist you might as well watch Criminal Minds, it's the same kind of network show with the same kind of topic.  Plus the characters really like talking intensely to each other while standing in a staggered line facing the same direction, which is always funny to me.

Also, it's not really related to what the OP likes but it was great to see last night that It's Always Sunny still has its fastball.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
If you liked the Mentalist and have a sense of humor you can tryout Psych. It's one of my favorite shows and the mentalist ripped them off so hard.

if you love that, you should watch True Detective.  Amazing....

Do these shows have anything like "Red John"?  I don't really care about crime of the week type series unless it has a really good overarching plot.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 01:23:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
True Detective is all one overarching plot, and the entire story is wrapped up in 8 episodes.  Next season they'll have a completely new season-long plot, and so on.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 01:27:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
"The Walking Dead", my favorite show because it's more about social dynamics and survival during a hostel crisis than just killing  Zombies.

"Game of Thrones", fantasy, politics, twist and karma.

"The Flash", light quirky hero show like "Smallville".

"True Detective", Hardcore detective mental drama.

"It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", a very "dumb funny" comedy show.

"Brooklyn 9-9", like above show but cop theme.

Past shows
"Breaking Bad", how a person with low morality and high desperation  turns to crime. He soon gets over his head.

"The Wire", kind of a collection of urban poverty area horrors and how people and families cope.

"24", A "CIA Rambo" takes down dozens of terrorist. It's comedic for me.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I've been watching Sons of Anarchy from the beginning (having never watched it before).  I'm hooked in, but it's a little over the top.  When they get the music and scene matched up just right it can be pretty emotional stuff.  They gloss over plausibility pretty easily.  There's a lot killing that never gets either followed up legally or there's no effort to even explain how they would cover it up  (something that The Wire & Deadwood were amazing about). 
Yup

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 01:34:31 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Black Sails is also a pretty awesome og series.

Its centered on early 18C Bahamas aka 'the golden age of pirates'.  Far removed from the Disney version, Black Sails does well to represent this era as it likely was complete with gnarly brothels and bloody fist fights. 

While technically a prequel to Treasure Island they base the story lines around real events, & the real pirates as history recorded them. 

Got me hook/line & sinker; binge watched the first season, can't wait for the 2nd season to start later this month.