Author Topic: Brook Lopez to be traded soon?  (Read 11786 times)

Re: Brook Lopez to be traded soon?
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 11:32:13 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Cousins just needs a power forward who can hit a jumper and play some defense next to him.

Brandon Bass  ;D

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 11:35:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Sacramento has always wanted a center who would allow them to let Cousins play PF.

I'm not sure if that's true any more.  Cousins is the most dominant center in the NBA, where he's been elite at both ends this year.  Why move him to PF, where he'd presumably be asked to play further away from the basket on offense, and required to chase guys around on the perimeter on D?

I wouldn't put it past Sacramento's management, but it seems like a poor idea to me.  Cousins just needs a power forward who can hit a jumper and play some defense next to him.

They proposed a trade for Josh Smith over the summer but they reportedly also wanted Mason Plumlee in negotiations over a Deron Williams.  I think they really just want a quality big, and they're open to either a power forward or a center, but they want either a floor spreader (likely a power forward) or a rim protector (likely a center).  Given that they have new ownership, it's likely that they are more willing to chase after well-known players.  Even if Brook Lopez is a bad fit, I can see owners suggesting him because he is a former All-Star who has been a 20ppg guy.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Heat looking to get brook lopez ?
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2015, 11:58:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
The Nets have continued to discuss a trade of Brook Lopez and the Heat have shown a strong interest, according to Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN NY.

Hmmm perhaps we could help facilitate.
Brook Lopez is a strong offensive presence when healthy.  If healthy.....
People wrote Pau Gasol off early.  I think too many people are doing the same with Brook Lopez.

Gasol was a 1B player on a back to back championship team . He actually should have been MVP in the 2010 finals . Lopez isn't on that level IMO.

In addition to this, Paul Gasol has always been a versatile multi-dimensional player.  He can score inside and outside, elite post game, excellent rebounder, above average shot blocker, elite passer for a big man, championship experience.

Brook Lopez is a 7'0", 260 lbs guy who last I checked was being outrebounded by Rajon Rondo.  He's mostly know for being a pretty poor defender.  Oh, and you're lucky to get 30 games out of him on any given season.

Lopez is, quite honestly, among the absolute worst rebounding 7-foot guys I have ever seen in my life.  If you have this guy on your team, it is an absolute NECESSITY to have a PF who can give you 10-12 RPG and defend the rim.  Kelly Olynyk is a rebounding beast compared to this guy.   

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2015, 12:01:06 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
The Nets have continued to discuss a trade of Brook Lopez and the Heat have shown a strong interest, according to Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN NY.

People wrote Pau Gasol off early.  I think too many people are doing the same with Brook Lopez.

Gasol was a 1B player on a back to back championship team . He actually should have been MVP in the 2010 finals . Lopez isn't on that level IMO.

In addition to this, Paul Gasol has always been a versatile multi-dimensional player.  He can score inside and outside, elite post game, excellent rebounder, above average shot blocker, elite passer for a big man, championship experience.

Brook Lopez is a 7'0", 260 lbs guy who last I checked was being outrebounded by Rajon Rondo.  He's mostly know for being a pretty poor defender.  Oh, and you're lucky to get 30 games out of him on any given season.

Lopez is, quite honestly, among the absolute worst rebounding 7-foot guys I have ever seen in my life.  If you have this guy on your team, it is an absolute NECESSITY to have a PF who can give you 10-12 RPG and defend the rim.  Kelly Olynyk is a rebounding beast compared to this guy.

Don't like this move for OKC if comes to fruition but OKC would say Serge Ibaka fits that description.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2015, 12:47:01 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

So who is the worst of the two in terms of defense and rebounding - Lopez, or James Edwards, lol? ;D  Obviously, Buddha wasn't nearly as injury prone, and was much better laterally, iirc, but he was never a shot blocker, nor did he ever average 10 rpg in any season despite being 7'1", haha. ;D

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2015, 06:01:05 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
what about we take a hit at lopez?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k6pmans

bass, stevenson to brooklyn
thornton(+pick) to charlotte
lopez to brooklyn

brookyln: - expiring in bass and young talent with stevenson
charlotte: - get rid of stevenson+a shooter for their bench who is expiring
celtics: - can take a look at lopez, if he could be the future center sign him to a long term contract before the cap raises, or let him opt out if it doesnt work

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2015, 07:59:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

I actually really like the comparison. The Lakers got him for dirt cheap because so many had written him off.

You think giving up a young Marc Gasol was dirt cheap?

Hindsite is 20/20.

That was widely considered a garbage deal for Memphis at the time. Nobody saw Marc Gasol becoming what he has.

I agree with this.

I don't necessarily think that Gasol's reputation was in the dumpster when the Lakers acquired him, though.  I think that's why there was so much outrage:  everyone knew that the Grizzlies had given up a good player.

The Grizzlies owner admitted after the fact that the didn't shop around.  That blew my mind:  you're trading your star, and you don't even let the league know that you're close to pulling the trigger.
yeah that was weird, but Wallace really wanted Marc Gasol.  That was the key to the deal.  They really liked him (I mean they gave him a 3 year, 10 million dollar contract as a 2nd round pick, you don't do that if you don't really like him).  Memphis also used all that cap space to basically absorb Randolph the following year. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip