Author Topic: MCW On trade bloc (espn)  (Read 15256 times)

Re: MCW On trade bloc (espn)
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not a surprise, his play and the 76ers attitude lend to shopping him. He's okay, but not a cornerstone and Philly is all in on getting a cornerstone. They're hoping Noel/Embiid will be, but can't tell for a few years yet.
If Noel is a cornerstone, it's the most covert path ever taken to stardom.  Just looking at the list of former ROY big men.

Griffin, Okafor, Stoudamire, Brand,P. Gasol, Duncan, Webber, Shaq, LJ, David Robinson.

Elton Brand and Okafor, maybe the least among them, averaged 20-10 and 15-11 as rookies.
Undersized big men take longer to develop, especially if they're not offensive players by nature. I wouldn't give up on him yet, even if he just becomes a Noah type that's still a tremendously valuable player.

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2015, 12:07:30 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
He is a poor shooter right now  .38% from the field and .24% from trey land.   He makes Marcus Smart's shooting look like the Kyle Korver.  Also, he is turnover turnover prone with 4.4 per game.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2596108/michael-carter-williams

He had  a better year last year and regressed this year.  We should let some other fool trade for him.  He did have a great year last year but has not been able to build on it folks and he has regressed slightly.
His shooting has gotten worse, no question, but his AST% is up and his TRB% is up.  His teammates have gotten worse and they have had a bunch of injuries.  Hard to say if he has truly regressed or is a product of being the only consistent player on a team comprised of DL level players.
You've got MCW, who is a ROY.  Noel who is being talked about as ROY.  McDaniels, who is better than expected and has been in the discussion for ROY.  Yet, you're losing 17 games in a row.  You're trailing by 50+ points in more than one game when by most accounts, your coach is pretty good.  I don't want ROY winners if that's what it's about.
That was to start the year when they had all those guys being rookies, learning to play together, etc.  Since then Philly is 1 game worse than Boston, which also coincides with their greatest health (MCW has missed 8 games himself)
Boston is admittedly terrible too, but there's no talk of our players being ROY candidates and being worth 2 lottery picks as earlier in this thread.  No talk of KO or Sully being a "cornerstone" or superstar.  Not from me, at least.  That's the bit I disagree with.  I think Noel is just as apt to fizzle out of the league as become a reliable starter, let alone a superstar.

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2015, 12:11:09 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Not a surprise, his play and the 76ers attitude lend to shopping him. He's okay, but not a cornerstone and Philly is all in on getting a cornerstone. They're hoping Noel/Embiid will be, but can't tell for a few years yet.
If Noel is a cornerstone, it's the most covert path ever taken to stardom.  Just looking at the list of former ROY big men.

Griffin, Okafor, Stoudamire, Brand,P. Gasol, Duncan, Webber, Shaq, LJ, David Robinson.

Elton Brand and Okafor, maybe the least among them, averaged 20-10 and 15-11 as rookies.
Undersized big men take longer to develop, especially if they're not offensive players by nature. I wouldn't give up on him yet, even if he just becomes a Noah type that's still a tremendously valuable player.
Undersized big men like Brand and Okafor?  Noel is 6-11 with something like a 7-4 wingspan.  He's about as undersized as Anthony Davis.

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Trying to think of big men who came into the league and stunk during their rookie year, then became cornerstones.  Maybe Marc Gasol is your case.  He was a better than Noel, but I don't think anyone had an idea that he was going to be THIS good.  I suppose I have to concede that Noel has a snowball's chance.  Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2015, 12:39:51 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Undersized big men like Brand and Okafor?  Noel is 6-11 with something like a 7-4 wingspan.  He's about as undersized as Anthony Davis.
He's skinny, a twig. Gets pushed around by NBA caliber big men. Okafor was a lot thicker and older his rookie year. Same with Brand a lot more beef on him.