Author Topic: MCW On trade bloc (espn)  (Read 15242 times)

Re: MCW On trade bloc (espn)
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2015, 10:56:30 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Here's what one writer speculated:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24962190/the-sixers-trouble-with-trading-michael-carter-williams

So the Sixers are stuck to a degree. But then, if Boston feels Marcus Smart is a future 2-guard (and they're playing Evan Turner at point right now for crying out loud), then they have the picks to spare. It's whether MCW fits their style, and that's a big question mark.

Other than that, there's the idea of adding him as a reserve. But what team gives up mulitiple picks or assets to acquire a backup point guard?

Tell you what, I'll give em a couple late 1sts and Sully if they want to throw in Nerlens Noel.
Yuck.  I do NOT want  MCW or Noel on this team.  I wouldn't trade Sully straight up for both of them (in strict basketball terms).

You can't be serious. Both players individually probably have more value than Sullinger.
Noel does. MCW does not. Who actually thinks MCW is above average at his position? He was just a rookie in a year when no one had stats and he did. Does MCW have any offense yet?

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2015, 11:04:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
MCW is a terrible way to identify Michael Carter-Williams, imo.  It sounds like 'man crush wednesday,' lol. ;D

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2015, 11:21:38 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Here's what one writer speculated:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24962190/the-sixers-trouble-with-trading-michael-carter-williams

So the Sixers are stuck to a degree. But then, if Boston feels Marcus Smart is a future 2-guard (and they're playing Evan Turner at point right now for crying out loud), then they have the picks to spare. It's whether MCW fits their style, and that's a big question mark.

Other than that, there's the idea of adding him as a reserve. But what team gives up mulitiple picks or assets to acquire a backup point guard?

Tell you what, I'll give em a couple late 1sts and Sully if they want to throw in Nerlens Noel.
Yuck.  I do NOT want  MCW or Noel on this team.  I wouldn't trade Sully straight up for both of them (in strict basketball terms).

You can't be serious. Both players individually probably have more value than Sullinger.
Noel does. MCW does not. Who actually thinks MCW is above average at his position? He was just a rookie in a year when no one had stats and he did. Does MCW have any offense yet?
The thing is, Noel is below average too.  WAY below average.  A few teams have 2 power forwards that are better.  He might not be in the top 30.  Using ESPN's PER, he's the 67th best Center.  His ceiling is probably Samuel Dalembert.  It's not encouraging.

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2015, 11:54:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The thing is, Noel is below average too.  WAY below average.

For all purposes he is a rookie and was hurt the year prior.   He needs to get stronger but lordly can he jump.   I ofted wonder if he is his listed size.  Sometimes he looks smaller with the big hair.

Do rookie big men in the modern ever do that well not named Shaq?

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2015, 12:16:01 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
The thing is, Noel is below average too.  WAY below average.

For all purposes he is a rookie and was hurt the year prior.   He needs to get stronger but lordly can he jump.   I ofted wonder if he is his listed size.  Sometimes he looks smaller with the big hair.

Do rookie big men in the modern ever do that well not named Shaq?
Count me a skeptic.  When I look at his peers, give or take, he shows the least promise.

Gobert, Vucevic, Valanciunus, Dieng, Tristan Thompson, Nurkic, Kanter, Mirotic.  I guess I'd  rank him close to Zeller.  No way in h@#@ would I trade multiple lotto picks for him though.

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2015, 04:00:34 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Chad Ford, Wed 1/14
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/51521/nba-insider-chad-ford

Scott (SLC): MCW. Some say it wouldn't be fair to judge considering his supporting cast, but he doesn't look good. In fact he looks awful. MCW doesn't seem like the type of player an analytic driven FO would consider long term. Will Hinkie try again to deal MCW?

Chad Ford  (1:17 PM): I've heard a lot of rumblings from GMs that Carter-Williams is available. There are some in ownership and in the front office, though not all, that don't see him as a long-term piece of the puzzle. There was a lot of chatter that direction before the draft and in the past few weeks I know several teams have had exploratory discussions with the Sixers. I think the challenge right now is that the Sixers will want a lot in return and MCW's play, to date this season, hasn't warranted multiple first round picks for him. That makes him tough to deal.

Ben (ny) [via mobile]: Am I alone in thinking the 76ers long term don't want either noel or mcw? In two years I doubt a single current 76er is on the team.

Chad Ford  (1:22 PM): I think the jury is still out on Noel. He's struggled offensively, but he has all the makings of an elite NBA defender. Noel is tied for No. 1 in blocks AND steals for rookies. Those steals numbers are very unique for a big man. I think the biggest question about Noel is with Joel Embiid and a very high pick in the draft that could be Jahlil Okafor or Karl-Anthony Towns, is he as good as those guys. But that's a huge question mark right now. Until Embiid is healthy and back on the court and until draft night, everything is a hypothetical. In other words, I don't think Noel is going anywhere for a while.

Rudy (George Mason): If Okafor, Towns, Embiid, and Noel were all healthy and in the same draft, how would you rank them based on their freshman seasons and potential?

Chad Ford  (1:55 PM): 1. Embiid 2. Okafor 3. Towns 4. Noel

Not interested in MCW for a 1st. Faux ROY numbers, learning bad habits on that D-League team, and haven't been impressed when I've seen him play.

Noel would be worth something as bigs take longer, and often much longer, to develop. Still, the bloom is off the rose for the Sixers' duo.

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2015, 07:35:26 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Would you like him on the celtics? I, personally, dont see smart as a pg and want to trade turner. I'm pretty high on last years ROY, and Mass native, Michael Carter-Williams.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2013/05/28/michael-carter-williams-playing-for-celtics-would-be-a-blessing/

Thoughts?

I think Cs stay away. He has been statistically productive all be it on a terrible team so his stats cant really be trusted to transfer. My biggest issues with MCW as a key piece of a rebuild is the fact that he has two major holes in his game. Defense and Shooting. This really limits his ceiling and the team he is playing for. Using Rondo as a comp he always has and will struggle shooting the ball however he excels at every other aspect and compensates for his shooting. This made him a solid allstar at the high point of his career. In the long term I prefer Smart at PG. He may not be as natural a play maker or as capable at getting to the rim but he has one elite skill (defense) and is showing to be well rounded and developing at the others.   

With that said it would be interesting to see MCW traded to the Bucks. I image Kidd could do alot to help his development. A lineup of MCW, Knight, Giannis, Parker and Henson would be young and interesting.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Would you like him on the celtics? I, personally, dont see smart as a pg and want to trade turner. I'm pretty high on last years ROY, and Mass native, Michael Carter-Williams.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2013/05/28/michael-carter-williams-playing-for-celtics-would-be-a-blessing/

Thoughts?
no interest.

his numbers are inflated being the top player on a bad team.  ROY award means nothing when your draft class isn't particularly good.  any other year he'd have gotten a handful of votes but that's about it.

If Philly trade him, I'd be surprised if they got half as much for him as Danny got for Rondo.
see that is just silly.  His rookie year stats are better than pretty much every single 1,2, and 3 that has won the award in the last 15 years or so.  I get his rookie class was weak, but his numbers most definitely make him a ROY contender, if not winner, in just about every single year where a smaller player won the award.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a poor shooter right now  .38% from the field and .24% from trey land.   He makes Marcus Smart's shooting look like the Kyle Korver.  Also, he is turnover turnover prone with 4.4 per game.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2596108/michael-carter-williams

He had  a better year last year and regressed this year.  We should let some other fool trade for him.  He did have a great year last year but has not been able to build on it folks and he has regressed slightly.

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2015, 10:31:37 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
29 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists in a loss last night.  Hinkie will be working overtime on the phones today.

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
He is a poor shooter right now  .38% from the field and .24% from trey land.   He makes Marcus Smart's shooting look like the Kyle Korver.  Also, he is turnover turnover prone with 4.4 per game.

He had  a better year last year and regressed this year.  We should let some other fool trade for him.  He did have a great year last year but has not been able to build on it folks and he has regressed slightly.
His shooting has gotten worse, no question, but his AST% is up and his TRB% is up.  His teammates have gotten worse and they have had a bunch of injuries.  Hard to say if he has truly regressed or is a product of being the only consistent player on a team comprised of DL level players.

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2015, 10:47:22 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

His shooting has gotten worse, no question, but his AST% is up and his TRB% is up.  His teammates have gotten worse and they have had a bunch of injuries.  Hard to say if he has truly regressed or is a product of being the only consistent player on a team comprised of DL level players.
You've got MCW, who is a ROY.  Noel who is being talked about as ROY.  McDaniels, who is better than expected and has been in the discussion for ROY.  Yet, you're losing 17 games in a row.  You're trailing by 50+ points in more than one game when by most accounts, your coach is pretty good.  I don't want ROY winners if that's what it's about.

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2015, 10:58:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not a surprise, his play and the 76ers attitude lend to shopping him. He's okay, but not a cornerstone and Philly is all in on getting a cornerstone. They're hoping Noel/Embiid will be, but can't tell for a few years yet.

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Not a surprise, his play and the 76ers attitude lend to shopping him. He's okay, but not a cornerstone and Philly is all in on getting a cornerstone. They're hoping Noel/Embiid will be, but can't tell for a few years yet.
If Noel is a cornerstone, it's the most covert path ever taken to stardom.  Just looking at the list of former ROY big men.

Griffin, Okafor, Stoudamire, Brand,P. Gasol, Duncan, Webber, Shaq, LJ, David Robinson.

Elton Brand and Okafor, maybe the least among them, averaged 20-10 and 15-11 as rookies.

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2015, 12:01:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

You've got MCW, who is a ROY.  Noel who is being talked about as ROY.  McDaniels, who is better than expected and has been in the discussion for ROY.  Yet, you're losing 17 games in a row.  You're trailing by 50+ points in more than one game when by most accounts, your coach is pretty good.  I don't want ROY winners if that's what it's about.
That was to start the year when they had all those guys being rookies, learning to play together, etc.  Since then Philly is 1 game worse than Boston, which also coincides with their greatest health (MCW has missed 8 games himself)