Author Topic: MCW On trade bloc (espn)  (Read 15190 times)

Re: MCW On trade bloc (espn)
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Here's what one writer speculated:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24962190/the-sixers-trouble-with-trading-michael-carter-williams

So the Sixers are stuck to a degree. But then, if Boston feels Marcus Smart is a future 2-guard (and they're playing Evan Turner at point right now for crying out loud), then they have the picks to spare. It's whether MCW fits their style, and that's a big question mark.

Other than that, there's the idea of adding him as a reserve. But what team gives up mulitiple picks or assets to acquire a backup point guard?

Tell you what, I'll give em a couple late 1sts and Sully if they want to throw in Nerlens Noel.
Yuck.  I do NOT want  MCW or Noel on this team.  I wouldn't trade Sully straight up for both of them (in strict basketball terms).

You can't be serious. Both players individually probably have more value than Sullinger.
That's why I said "in basketball terms".  I'm sure you could parlay them into bigger assets, but as basketball players, no.  They aren't good.  Sullinger is a better player.  I don't think either of those guys is going to be a plus starter, ever.

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 07:34:16 PM »

Offline Londongreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Would you give them:

Boston's 2015 First Round Pick
Brooklyn's 2016 First Round Pick
Jared Sullinger

For

MCW & Noel ??

Nope, I'm big on both, but ours and Nets picks, must stay with us. Clippers pick, cavs pick, some second rounders and sully sure.

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 07:35:57 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24962190/the-sixers-trouble-with-trading-michael-carter-williams

So the Sixers are stuck to a degree. But then, if Boston feels Marcus Smart is a future 2-guard (and they're playing Evan Turner at point right now for crying out loud), then they have the picks to spare. It's whether MCW fits their style, and that's a big question mark.

Other than that, there's the idea of adding him as a reserve. But what team gives up mulitiple picks or assets to acquire a backup point guard?

Tell you what, I'll give em a couple late 1sts and Sully if they want to throw in Nerlens Noel.

Would you give them:

Jared Sullinger

For

MCW & Noel ??
That's crazy.  I wouldn't trade our 2015 pick for their entire roster (not counting Embiid).

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
He's not on the block.

He's been in the block since at least last June.  Everyone knows it, including MCW.
He's no more "on the block" than every single player on the Celtics (Smart, Sully, Oly, Bradley, etc).

They are open to moving him if they get a few 1sts or an established superstar, but they aren't actively seeking a trade destination for a 23 year old rich man's Rajon Rondo.  He's a productive young player that plays a position of need.  Why would they trade him?

They've been rumored to be shopping him for quite a while, and word was they thought he was something of a "puts up big numbers on bad teams" kind of player.

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 07:43:59 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
He's not on the block.

He's been in the block since at least last June.  Everyone knows it, including MCW.
He's no more "on the block" than every single player on the Celtics (Smart, Sully, Oly, Bradley, etc).

They are open to moving him if they get a few 1sts or an established superstar, but they aren't actively seeking a trade destination for a 23 year old rich man's Rajon Rondo.  He's a productive young player that plays a position of need.  Why would they trade him?

They've been rumored to be shopping him for quite a while, and word was they thought he was something of a "puts up big numbers on bad teams" kind of player.
That's exactly what he is.  The article cited above says there are ~5 teams that would consider him an upgrade.  I'm not even sure it's that many.  So, what's the fuss over the 25th best PG in the league? You can win just as many games with Mario Chalmers or Mo Williams in my opinion.

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 07:45:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Would you give them:

Jared Sullinger

For

MCW & Noel ??
OOof... that's a tough one. 

I'd say no and probably end up regretting it.   The 2015 1st has a shot to be a really nice player.  That Brooklyn 2016 has a shot to be really nice.  So I'll say no...

But, I'd offer Sully + a few of the later 1sts.

I could get behind PG - MCW, SG - Smaht, SF - Young, PF - Oly, C - Nerlens + oodles of cap space and additional picks. 

Dunno why Philly would do this, though.  I could see them moving Noel, because they have Embiid and probably a guy like Okafor in the draft... too many centers.  But it would make more sense to have twin towers and move the 3rd big for bigger position of need than PF.

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 07:54:12 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Would you give them:

Jared Sullinger

For

MCW & Noel ??

I'd say no and probably end up regretting it.   The 2015 1st has a shot to be a really nice player.  That Brooklyn 2016 has a shot to be really nice.  So I'll say no...

I could get behind PG - MCW, SG - Smaht, SF - Young, PF - Oly, C - Nerlens + oodles of cap space and additional picks. 

Dunno why Philly would do this, though.  I could see them moving Noel, because they have Embiid and probably a guy like Okafor in the draft... too many centers.  But it would make more sense to have twin towers and move the 3rd big for bigger position of need than PF.
What do you see in Noel?  He's a 7 footer who shoots 42%.  Less than 50% from the line.  Worse rebounder than Sully by every measure.  Doesn't pass out of the post well.  Never commands a double team.  Significant injury history. Almost no post game to speak of.  Hasn't shown as a great rim protector, despite his size.  He does an OK job staying out of foul trouble -- that's the most positive thing I can come up with.

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Don't we already have him on our team but he's older shoots excellent free throws and has a great mid range game?

Evan Turner…. and we didn't give up much of anything to get him.
pass

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 08:27:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Would you give them:

Jared Sullinger

For

MCW & Noel ??

What do you see in Noel? He's a 7 footer who shoots 42%.  Less than 50% from the line.  Worse rebounder than Sully by every measure.  Doesn't pass out of the post well.  Never commands a double team.  Significant injury history. Almost no post game to speak of.  Hasn't shown as a great rim protector, despite his size.  He does an OK job staying out of foul trouble -- that's the most positive thing I can come up with.
Noel is very raw, but he's 20 years old coming off a major injury and averages 7.7 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.5 block and 1.4 steals in 30mpg

I'd say he's a virtual lock to be a double-double defensive center.  He's got a shot to be an all-star level player. 

Legit center prospects with elite defensive potential are exceptionally rare.   Judging Noel by what he's doing right now is silly.

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 09:14:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Pasadena
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 09:21:43 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
A few things.

1) The Sixers know that there is a smaller difference between MCW and Wroten than is the perception. Go compare their numbers....

2) As usual it's all about the price. I would trade our #1 for him no way, but a couple of future late 1sts? I'd pull the trigger.

You see, Philly is an f-ed up place for a young player right now. MCW wasn't meant to shoulder an NBA offense as the #1 option on day 1.

He's basically 16-6-6-2 (pt-reb-ast-stl) on lousy percentages... 40/25/70

Put him in a proper system with a focus on defense and passing, and I could see him quickly become 12-6-8-2 on 45/33/70, with above-average defense, good FTA numbers, and some upside remaining.

Maybe not what he's perceived as, but well worth having for the right price. MCW + Smart backcourt would create some very interesting matchups.

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2015, 10:05:36 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Would you give them:

Jared Sullinger

For

MCW & Noel ??

What do you see in Noel? He's a 7 footer who shoots 42%.  Less than 50% from the line.  Worse rebounder than Sully by every measure.  Doesn't pass out of the post well.  Never commands a double team.  Significant injury history. Almost no post game to speak of.  Hasn't shown as a great rim protector, despite his size.  He does an OK job staying out of foul trouble -- that's the most positive thing I can come up with.
Noel is very raw, but he's 20 years old coming off a major injury and averages 7.7 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.5 block and 1.4 steals in 30mpg

I'd say he's a virtual lock to be a double-double defensive center.  He's got a shot to be an all-star level player. 

Legit center prospects with elite defensive potential are exceptionally rare.   Judging Noel by what he's doing right now is silly.
I don't know.  Agree to disagree on this one, I guess.  I haven't even seen flashes yet.  Not even a little flicker of elite potential.  The only elite thing about him is his wingspan.  You're talking about trading Sully and 2 good lottery picks for him when he's not even as good as Sully right now.  That's a truckload of faith.

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Would you like him on the celtics? I, personally, dont see smart as a pg and want to trade turner. I'm pretty high on last years ROY, and Mass native, Michael Carter-Williams.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2013/05/28/michael-carter-williams-playing-for-celtics-would-be-a-blessing/

Thoughts?
no interest.

his numbers are inflated being the top player on a bad team.  ROY award means nothing when your draft class isn't particularly good.  any other year he'd have gotten a handful of votes but that's about it.

If Philly trade him, I'd be surprised if they got half as much for him as Danny got for Rondo.

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 10:24:01 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Would you like him on the celtics? I, personally, dont see smart as a pg and want to trade turner. I'm pretty high on last years ROY, and Mass native, Michael Carter-Williams.

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2013/05/28/michael-carter-williams-playing-for-celtics-would-be-a-blessing/

Thoughts?
no interest.

his numbers are inflated being the top player on a bad team.  ROY award means nothing when your draft class isn't particularly good.  any other year he'd have gotten a handful of votes but that's about it.

If Philly trade him, I'd be surprised if they got half as much for him as Danny got for Rondo.
Worst draft in 20 years, probably.  Would we say that Giannis is the top player?  Oladipo?  Man, that's a thin class.  Alex Len is honestly shaping up to be a very nice center.  I'd put him well ahead of Noel.

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2015, 10:37:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Thoughts?
no interest.

Worst draft in 20 years, probably.  Would we say that Giannis is the top player?  Oladipo?  Man, that's a thin class.  Alex Len is honestly shaping up to be a very nice center.  I'd put him well ahead of Noel.
it's still early to determine who the best player from that draft is but last year I felt it was Oladipo.  I still think he's doing better than everyone else.

Giannis is all hype right now.  maybe he turns out to be the all-world player his fanboys say he is already but I think he'll be fortunate to be a solid starter.  he's very athletic but hasn't really turned that into great basketball skills