Author Topic: Woj's article on Lebron and his lack of leadership w/Cavs  (Read 11198 times)

Re: Woj's article on Lebron and his lack of leadership w/Cavs
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 02:12:25 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I like the article but I do think the Cavs will be fine, Lebron looked explosive last night, by far the most explosive he has all year.  I wonder what he did in Miami for those two weeks??  Was Tony Bosch in Miami at the same time:)

How was last night encouraging? Yes Lebron played very well, but they still lost to 10th best team in the West and benched one of their starters. They may beat the Lakers in their next game but then will probably be back under .500 with their next two games against Clippers and Bulls.

Did you watch him at all this year? he wasn't the same guy.  Last night he was explosive and dynamic.  He will go back to his MVP shortly and the Cavs will start rattling off wins.  Last night was the best he has looked in a long, long time

James' explosiveness is not the problem. The problem is that the team is poorly constructed, dysfunctional, they don't respect the coach, and James is also likely looking to undermine the coach and bring more of his friends in. It's a mess.

James explosiveness has been ONE of the problems!  ( his numbers are down across the board ) Yes, the team is poorly constructed etc but any team with Lebron, Kyrie and Love shouldn't be under .500 in the East.  I think Lebron was dinged up more than we think.  I saw him make a handful of plays last night that he hasn't all year.  The Cavs are still going to finish in the top 4 in the East.  It's not like this team isn't making the playoffs...

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I like the article but I do think the Cavs will be fine, Lebron looked explosive last night, by far the most explosive he has all year.  I wonder what he did in Miami for those two weeks??  Was Tony Bosch in Miami at the same time:)

How was last night encouraging? Yes Lebron played very well, but they still lost to 10th best team in the West and benched one of their starters. They may beat the Lakers in their next game but then will probably be back under .500 with their next two games against Clippers and Bulls.

Did you watch him at all this year? he wasn't the same guy.  Last night he was explosive and dynamic.  He will go back to his MVP shortly and the Cavs will start rattling off wins.  Last night was the best he has looked in a long, long time

James' explosiveness is not the problem. The problem is that the team is poorly constructed, dysfunctional, they don't respect the coach, and James is also likely looking to undermine the coach and bring more of his friends in. It's a mess.

James explosiveness has been ONE of the problems!  ( his numbers are down across the board ) Yes, the team is poorly constructed etc but any team with Lebron, Kyrie and Love shouldn't be under .500 in the East.  I think Lebron was dinged up more than we think.  I saw him make a handful of plays last night that he hasn't all year.  The Cavs are still going to finish in the top 4 in the East.  It's not like this team isn't making the playoffs...

Do you look at the standings or do any basic math before you make these kind of predictions?

The Bulls are currently the 4th seed in the conference with a 26 and 13 record and a .667 winning percentage. If we assume they play at a similar pace the rest of the season they would be roughly 55- 27 (there really isn't a reason to think they will drop off considering Gibson, Noah and Rose have all been banged up and Rose has been getting extra rest)

For the Cavs to finish with a record of 55-27 they will have to go 36-7. Have you seen anything in this team that suggests they will only lose 7 games the rest of the season? They are even further behind the other teams... Top 4 would be a minor miracle

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

The problem is that the team is poorly constructed, dysfunctional, they don't respect the coach, and James is also likely looking to undermine the coach and bring more of his friends in. It's a mess.

Yeah, but they have the steadying presence of JR Smith on the court and in the locker room.

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
7 games back is a lot to make up, but doable in half a season.

The Cavs haven't shown me anything to make me think that they will though.

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 02:42:23 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Unrelated, but kinda related

NBA Legion ?@MySportsLegion  23m23 minutes ago
The Cavs offered Tristan Thompson a 4 year, $52 million contract extension. Thompson declined. (via Y!)

This goes back to the article about Rich Paul etc.

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

Do you look at the standings or do any basic math before you make these kind of predictions?

The Bulls are currently the 4th seed in the conference with a 26 and 13 record and a .667 winning percentage. If we assume they play at a similar pace the rest of the season they would be roughly 55- 27 (there really isn't a reason to think they will drop off considering Gibson, Noah and Rose have all been banged up and Rose has been getting extra rest)

For the Cavs to finish with a record of 55-27 they will have to go 36-7. Have you seen anything in this team that suggests they will only lose 7 games the rest of the season? They are even further behind the other teams... Top 4 would be a minor miracle

You are absolutely right, impossible to make up 7 games in the standings with over a half a season to go....my fault...

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 02:48:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

The Cavs offered Tristan Thompson a 4 year, $52 million contract extension. Thompson declined. (via Y!)

If that's true, Thompson is being feed a line of nonsense from his agent.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

That's one team, not 4.  I'll be pretty surprised if the East winds up with 4 55+ win teams this season. 

That said, I'll be about equally surprised if the Cavs crack 50 wins with the way their season's going.  So I doubt they'll break the top 4 regardless.

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 02:55:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I think people are not realizing that 7 games back of a team with a .667 winning percentage is a lot different of being 7 games back of a team that is .500 (or worse).  This is pretty basic math. Anything is possible, but it is pretty unlikely barring major injuries. Another fun fact do people realize the 76ers are about the same distance out of a playoff spot that the cavs are out of 4th place?

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

You are absolutely right, impossible to make up 7 games in the standings with over a half a season to go....my fault...

Writing a sarcastic response instead of actually having a take on the math and records makes for great debate. I will try to put it in more simple terms for you because you may have not gotten it.

1) What do you think the Cavs record will be for the rest of the season?
2) What do you think the Bulls record will be?

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 02:57:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Wow, I cannot fathom another team giving Thompson that much money on the open market.

Then again, there is always one desperate team out there. So maybe someone will be foolish enough to give him that much money, Cleveland apparently is.

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think people are not realizing that 7 games back of a team with a .667 winning percentage is a lot different of being 7 games back of a team that is .500 (or worse).  This is pretty basic math. Anything is possible, but it is pretty unlikely barring major injuries. Another fun fact do people realize the 76ers are about the same distance out of a playoff spot that the cavs are out of 4th place?
Chicago has a point of differential of just about +3.0. They're 3 wins above their pythagorean expected record. Big losing streaks and winning streaks happen.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

Writing a sarcastic response instead of actually having a take on the math and records makes for great debate. I will try to put it in more simple terms for you because you may have not gotten it.

1) What do you think the Cavs record will be for the rest of the season?
2) What do you think the Bulls record will be?

Thanks again - it's actually the Bulls, Raptors and Wiz.  So there are three teams that they can catch and I bet they will catch at least one of them... I would have to look at all the teams schedules, you make it seem impossible to make up 7 games in the standings and I am telling you it's not.  It happens all the time in sports, especially when there is over half of a season left.  You can throw out all the math you want but there are a lot different variables.  I am simply stating writing off the Cavs as a top 4 team this year is a little ridiculous since there are over 40 games remaining in the season...

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 03:06:20 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

I'm not sure Thompson is better than Tyler Zeller, much less deserving that kind of money: cap increase or not.

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Chicago has a point of differential of just about +3.0. They're 3 wins above their pythagorean expected record. Big losing streaks and winning streaks happen.

fafnir I appreciate you at least having a discussion and expressing why believe what you do (with some stats/facts to back it up). I would counter that while I agree winning and losing streaks happen, even with top level teams another factor to consider is that the East is super top heavy. So it is kind of hard for the Bulls (or hawks, raptors or wiz) to have a completely horrible stretch because they are consistently going to  have a lot of games mixed in versus the 76ers, celtics, knicks, nets, magic and hornets. This makes it harder to pick up games on a really good team.