Is Love a true max player?

Yes
12 (34.3%)
No
21 (60%)
I dont know
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: If Kevin Love opts out, should we offer him a max contract?  (Read 5020 times)

Re: If Kevin Love opts out, should we offer him a max contract?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
You know who we should offer a max contract? Anthony Davis, I think his contract is up in a couple years.

Maybe we'll have a good roster to build around him by then.

You may be joking, but targeting max/near max players 2-3 years from now seems much more likely than a big move this offseason. Commit to building through the draft in the short term and go all in when the time is right, not just because we have money to spend.

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 01:54:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah he's worth the max.

He's not leaving the Cavs.  He said he's opting in for the 2nd year of his deal.

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 02:00:38 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
You know who we should offer a max contract? Anthony Davis, I think his contract is up in a couple years.

You may be joking, but targeting max/near max players 2-3 years from now seems much more likely than a big move this offseason. Commit to building through the draft in the short term and go all in when the time is right, not just because we have money to spend.

I'm not joking, I love AD's game. If Ainge can make this happen in a couple years or so, that would be amazing.

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
NO

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'm not joking, I love AD's game. If Ainge can make this happen in a couple years or so, that would be amazing.

If you think New Orleans will not offer Davis a max extension as soon as they're able to this summer, you're going to be very disappointed.  Davis will never hit unrestricted free agency for at least 5 more years.

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

If you think New Orleans will not offer Davis a max extension as soon as they're able to this summer, you're going to be very disappointed.  Davis will never hit unrestricted free agency for at least 5 more years.
Yup the only question left is whether he gets a player option or not.

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
People need some perspective on "max."   If Kevin Love signed a 4-year max contract with the Celtics next summer, based on current cap projections, he'd be tied for the 12th highest salary in the NBA with anyone else who also signed such a contract next summer (Aldridge, Gasol, maybe Rondo); and tied for 3rd amongst power forwards.  The following year he'll be in the 15-20 range, and maybe outside of the top 20 depending how crazy spending gets with the new TV deal, no higher than 5th amongst power forwards, behind Bosh, Griffin, Aldridge, and Davis for sure, and maybe behind Horford, Ross, and Henson pending salary cap craziness.

At most Kevin Love would be paid on the high side for a year under that scenario.  After year 1, he might become underpaid by comparison.

Offering Love a 4-year max should be a no-brainer for Ainge.  Unfortunately, Love likely would not accept such an offer.