Is Love a true max player?

Yes
12 (34.3%)
No
21 (60%)
I dont know
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: If Kevin Love opts out, should we offer him a max contract?  (Read 5034 times)

Re: If Kevin Love opts out, should we offer him a max contract?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 12:49:38 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Of course.  It's weird that so many think Reggie Jackson should get a near max contract but not Love.  That's a joke.
They would have completely different max deals? Love would make over $20 million a year due to more years of service. 'Max contract' is not a meaningful term when evaluating players.

You can't compare max deals unless you talk about the actual $ value!!!

Personally, I don't see Jackson as worthy of $!5m a year. He is no James Harden.
I'd rather give Love $20 million than having 2 guys like Jeff Green and Crash Wallace make 20 million.  Whether people like Love or not, he is definitely a building block.

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 12:56:05 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Of course.  It's weird that so many think Reggie Jackson should get a near max contract but not Love.  That's a joke.
They would have completely different max deals? Love would make over $20 million a year due to more years of service. 'Max contract' is not a meaningful term when evaluating players.

You can't compare max deals unless you talk about the actual $ value!!!

Personally, I don't see Jackson as worthy of $!5m a year. He is no James Harden.
I'd rather give Love $20 million than having 2 guys like Jeff Green and Crash Wallace make 20 million.  Whether people like Love or not, he is definitely a building block.

He's playing with the best player in the world and still hasn't bought into defending.  He's a building block for somebody else.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 01:05:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Without hesitation.  And given that Ainge is clearing tons of space for next summer, I'm sure Love gets called at midnight on July 1st.

He's an elite scorer and rebounder at the 4.  Would it be great if he played better defense?  Yes.  But he's definitely worth a max contract next summer, no question.  I don't know that I'd do the 1-year deal so he can sign a new deal with the TV contract, but I'd have no problem giving him $80 million over 4 years.

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Definitely a max player but I can't see any reason for K-Love to want to come to Boston. This roster is amongst the worst in the league and has no other star talent on the books.

This. We're got nothing appealing to offer an all star caliber player in the prime of his career.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's an elite scorer and rebounder at the 4.  Would it be great if he played better defense?  Yes.  But he's definitely worth a max contract next summer, no question.  I don't know that I'd do the 1-year deal so he can sign a new deal with the TV contract, but I'd have no problem giving him $80 million over 4 years.

Thanks goodness your not our GM!

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 01:18:36 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I don't think Kevin Love deserves the same contract as a KD or a Lebron or a CP3, but he's certainly someone I'd love to build with. I think 5 yrs 80 mill would be great.

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 01:22:01 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't think Kevin Love deserves the same contract as a KD or a Lebron or a CP3, but he's certainly someone I'd love to build with. I think 5 yrs 80 mill would be great.

He does not deserve the same contract, but thats an inherent problem of the cba. Love probably deserves a current max deal but those other guys deserve (and would get) MORE than the max on an open market.

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 01:22:06 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
here's my hope

Danny clears enough to add two max free agents

Memphis gets booted in 1st rd

Cleveland doesn't make the finals

Danny sells Gasol and Love on having tons of assets to add to them

PG: Smart
SG: Mudiay (top 3 pick)
SF: Crowder
PF: Love
 C: Gasol

A man can dream, right ?

Me likey!

That is one wonderful dream!

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 01:28:24 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Sure, but he won't do more than politely say "no thanks".

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Definitely a max player but I can't see any reason for K-Love to want to come to Boston. This roster is amongst the worst in the league and has no other star talent on the books.

This. We're got nothing appealing to offer an all star caliber player in the prime of his career.
agree.  I can't see any top-level FA coming here based on our current roster.  even if we had room to pay 2 'max' contracts (and the players were worth that much) I still can't see them coming here.  We are lacking proven talent at this point that could support 2 top players. 

if we get a great player with our pick this year, a serviceable player with the Clips pick, Zeller /Sully /KO /Smart /Young/ AB/ Crowder all improve next year with Bass gone, Thornton gone and Wallace finally off the books -- THEN we may have a shot at getting some interest from a couple of top FAs but not before. 

This coming offseason is going to devoid off acquiring stars via trade or free agency simply because we don't have a roster that would help them compete (yet). 

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 01:38:26 PM »

Offline NYDan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I think Love is a max player in the NBA, but I'm also not sure he's a top 20 player in the league right now. He's also not likely looking for a team full of first year contract players, considering he signed with the Cavs. The time to sign him was last summer and build around Love+Rondo+Green, which to be honest isn't that impressive of a core. Unless we're getting another star caliber player in the offseason via trade or signing I don't think it's a good fit for either party right now.

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
You know who we should offer a max contract? Anthony Davis, I think his contract is up in a couple years.

Maybe we'll have a good roster to build around him by then.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 01:41:45 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
What do you all think is the qualification for a max contract? What does one have to do to deserve one? Lots of people say Love deserves one, i've seen people want to offer Reggie Jackson one, and I've seen people say Paul Milsap is deserving of one. Those are 3 pretty different players.

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 01:43:02 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

agree.  I can't see any top-level FA coming here based on our current roster.  even if we had room to pay 2 'max' contracts (and the players were worth that much) I still can't see them coming here.  We are lacking proven talent at this point that could support 2 top players. 

if we get a great player with our pick this year, a serviceable player with the Clips pick, Zeller /Sully /KO /Smart /Young/ AB/ Crowder all improve next year with Bass gone, Thornton gone and Wallace finally off the books -- THEN we may have a shot at getting some interest from a couple of top FAs but not before. 

This coming offseason is going to devoid off acquiring stars via trade or free agency simply because we don't have a roster that would help them compete (yet).
good points. of course that means that for next season ainge will NOT be taking on players who have long term contracts so that in 2016 he can do his magic. and that means that next year for absolute sure the celtics are going to suck donkey dicks once more...but for a good cause.

wow!! the profanity detector must have taken the day off.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 01:45:23 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
You know who we should offer a max contract? Anthony Davis, I think his contract is up in a couple years.

Maybe we'll have a good roster to build around him by then.

Davis won't touch free agency for at least five or six years.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.