Author Topic: Can Jae Crowder become Draymond Green?  (Read 5440 times)

Can Jae Crowder become Draymond Green?
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'm asking because I don't know.

I loved Crowder coming out of college and then kinda forgot about him. I remember wanting the Celtics to move up in the second round to get either one of Crowder or Green but I don't think that was deemed affordable at the time. I wonder where we'd be if we had moved up for Green.

Anyways, if Crowder becomes anywhere near the level of talent D.G. is it will greatly accelerate the Celtics' rebuilding process.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Can Jae Crowder become Draymond Green?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Yes, if he somehow grows and takes a bunch of PEDs.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Yes, if he somehow grows and takes a bunch of PEDs.

Fine, a SG/SF version of Draymond.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 04:16:22 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

I loved Crowder coming out of college and then kinda forgot about him. I remember wanting the Celtics to move up in the second round to get either one of Crowder or Green but I don't think that was deemed affordable at the time. I wonder where we'd be if we had moved up for Green.

Anyways, if Crowder becomes anywhere near the level of talent D.G. is it will greatly accelerate the Celtics' rebuilding process.

Just let him play.

Dray is the type of player I love though. NBA/fans these days fawn over "scorers" so he isn't going to get his props by people who are casual fans. I mean, I would describe him as "gritty and plays with heart" but that just means he isn't a good player.  ::)
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 04:19:21 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

Just let him play.

Dray is the type of player I love though. NBA/fans these days fawn over "scorers" so he isn't going to get his props by people who are casual fans. I mean, I would describe him as "gritty and plays with heart" but that just means he isn't a good player.  ::)

Yep, [edit: Draymond is contending for this year's] DPOY. Can be the third best player on a title contender.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:21:02 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Crowder is a 3 who plays like a 2.  Green is a 3 who rebounds like a 4. 

Green is averaging 8.4 rebounds, and over 10 rebounds over the last month.  I don't think Crowder ever does that.

They're different players, but I like them both.  Draymond is better and is gonna get some big money in the offseason.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 04:25:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Green is averaging 8.4 rebounds, and over 10 rebounds over the last month.  I don't think Crowder ever does that.

They're different players, but I like them both.  Draymond is better and is gonna get some big money in the offseason.
Green has played the PF position this year, for virtually all of his minutes. He's a PF for the purposes of discussion at this point.

Iggy, Barnes, and Klay have handled SF duties.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff

1st, I asked if Crowder had the talent and determination to become the player D.G. is, not if they're equal right now.

2nd, I later clarified before you made your comment that if Crowder could be that good I envisioned him as more of SG/SF version of Green, in many ways a combination of Green and Thabo Sefolosha.

I agree both that Draymond is better now and likely will still be 4-5 years from now.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 04:44:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I would like to see a team of Smart/Bradley or Young, Crowder at SF, Draymond Green at the 4. Then trade Sully or KO for a good young big.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Draymond Green's a decent best-case comparison. Both are 3 and Defense kind of players. Draymond's more proven so far and a better rebounder. Both both have solid Spor**** man-to-man defense stats.

I think the big questions with Jae will be:

1) Can he consistently knock down 3s?
2) Will his small-sample stats translate with more playing time and facing opposing starters vs. opposing bench players?

I also found it interesting that based on box score stats, an early comparison for Jae is James Posey: http://nbacompare.com/players-like/146/jae-crowder

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 04:50:02 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Green has played the PF position this year, for virtually all of his minutes. He's a PF for the purposes of discussion at this point.

Iggy, Barnes, and Klay have handled SF duties.
Wasn't aware of that.  I stand corrected.  I suppose I should've said Draymond is a 4, Crowder plays much smaller.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 04:51:52 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Draymond Green's a decent best-case comparison. Both are 3 and Defense kind of players. Draymond's more proven so far and a better rebounder. Both both have solid Spor**** man-to-man defense stats.

I think the big questions with Jae will be:

1) Can he consistently knock down 3s?
2) Will his small-sample stats translate with more playing time and facing opposing starters vs. opposing bench players?

I also found it interesting that based on box score stats, an early comparison for Jae is James Posey: http://nbacompare.com/players-like/146/jae-crowder

Interesting, TP.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 04:58:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I try not to overreact to performances until I see a guy do it for more than 11 games.  It's the Stuart Tanner principle... Unknown players can temporarily catch opponents off guard until the opponents inevitably learn their tendencies.  Named after the video of Devin Harris getting owned by some unknown street baller:  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysv3v7uXblw

It was the driving force behind Linsanity.  Let's keep level heads in the midst of Crowdersanity. Let's see if he keeps it up for more than 11 games.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

1st, I asked if Crowder had the talent and determination to become the player D.G. is, not if they're equal right now.

2nd, I later clarified before you made your comment that if Crowder could be that good I envisioned him as more of SG/SF version of Green, in many ways a combination of Green and Thabo Sefolosha.

I agree both that Draymond is better now and likely will still be 4-5 years from now.
Sorry for not following instructions.   ::)

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Crowder started 16 games as a rookie and averaged 5.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.1 steal on 34%/21%/72% shooting in 25mpg   

His second season he started 7 games and averaged 8.6 points, 3.6 rebounds, 1.7 assists, 1.6 steal on 44%/25%/100% shooting in 29.4mpg   

This year he's started 3 games and averaged 13.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.3 blocks, 2 steals on 61%/38%/50% shooting in 28.7mpg

I don't really expect him to keep up his current level of production.  He's blindsided opponents and had some hot games, but let's see what happens.  I think he's got a future as a solid bench player for a team.