Author Topic: Could you use Bradley to dump Wallace?  (Read 5730 times)

Re: Could you use Bradley to dump Wallace?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 03:40:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
So I'm a much bigger Bradley fan than a lot of people on these forums. I think giving him up is way too much to get Wallace's contract off the books.

For that matter, I wouldn't give anything up to get rid of Wallace. We are in acquiring asset mode, we shouldn't be giving up assets in order to shed salary. Mostly because I don't believe the extra cap space we are receiving is worth giving up Bradley.

I think Bradley has value in the league, I would be fine with moving him but I would want it as part of a bigger deal bringing back a star rather than attaching him to Wallace to do what amounts to a smaller deal.

I think AB's value is such that if we found two top tier free agents that would sign here as a package deal, we could attach Bradley to Wallace in order to clear the space. Even then I think we could get rid of Wallace for a future late 1st.

Agree.

AB is still 24. I don't see why you trade him for nothing.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 03:47:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't believe that Wallace being on the roster is preventing us from doing anything so I don't think it is worth it to give up anything just to move him.  This topic can be revisited in the off season or next season as needed but for now, I don't see the issue.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This whole notion of clearing space for max FA's this summer is a nonstarter for me, not because I think Boston can't attract an FA to sign here, but because there are so many better destinations currently. The obvious first one is for Gasol and Aldridge is to stay where they are. But even if one or both were to leave, the Hawks will have room for a max contract this summer, and either MG or LA could slide into Millsap's spot and improve a team that may already be the best in the East. Even the Knicks seem more enticing with Melo and a likely top 3 pick that they could either trade or keep, more so if they can move Calderon.

I think if we are to be a beacon for max Fa's, the move would be to lay low for another year, let Wallace expire and the young guys/picks gain experience, weed out the bums, and tidy up the roster for the summer of '16.   

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 03:52:36 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
  You can use Sullinger with Wallace in a sign and trade for Monroe.

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 03:53:37 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I would love to get rid of Bradley but thats because I think James Young will be starting for us at the 2 next year and Bradley will be fodder. Trade him now and keep Gerald Wallace until 2016 FA when he comes off the books. If we could trade Avery for an expiring then we would have a ton of $ for 2016 FA...when we are more likely to be on the upturn.

We still have 2 drafts before 2016 FA....lets make the most of them and entice FA's to come here. It should be dif than before bc we will have a ton of money to spend and a good foundation.

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 03:57:54 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
In another year, the Wallace contract will actually be a real asset.  I think you keep it and continue to develop the youth.

When the time is right, you use his expiring deal to benefit you when something pops up.  No need to trade Bradley or picks to get rid of it.

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
Not worth it to get rid of Wallace.  No need to give up an asset to move Wallace until there is an actual player ready to sign with the Celtics and they need the space.
Not worth it?

If someone would give us 20 mil in expiring contracts for Bradley + Wallace, I'd consider it a major, major win for us.

In fact, I'd include Crowder's contract to sweeten the pot.  Crowder + Bradley + Wallace for Amare's expiring.  Sign me up.

Do you hate everyone on the celtics that plays hard? Because it seems like you do. Avery Bradley is an exceptional player. When looking for a guy that will be a high-level role player on a great team Avery is exactly the guy you want. Plays tough D, makes big shots. Average to above average shooter on any given night. What do you think you can get that is better then him? We are never going to have a team of five all stars, it can't happen. You need guys like Avery on your roster to either be your starting 2 or number 1 option off of the bench. Unless you have a high lever star or superstar ahead of him, which we don't and will not for the foreseeable future.

Your post should read can we use Wallace to dump Bradley, because thats what you really mean.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 04:25:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
In another year, the Wallace contract will actually be a real asset.  I think you keep it and continue to develop the youth.

When the time is right, you use his expiring deal to benefit you when something pops up.  No need to trade Bradley or picks to get rid of it.

I'm sorry, but it will not be an asset that you get something for.  It will allow you to match larger salaries, but assuredly whatever team you're trading with will ask for extra compensation for taking on Wallace.  For that reason it has utility, and thus there is no reason to go crazy to get rid of it now, but it's still a negative asset, and at some point we will either pay to have it go away or keep him on the roster.

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 04:25:30 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
There seems to be a big group of people that think trading AB for an expiring would be a good deal, even a tough deal to get, but I'll ask you this: If Danny offered Bradley straight up to OKC for Perk's contract, could you honestly see Presti saying "No"? (If you really think he would, go ask some OKC fans what they would think)

Five years ago, Bradley would have been overpaid.  But with the market going the way it is, his contract is perfectly reasonable, and will be a bargain in a couple of years when the TV deal comes into effect
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

I'm sorry, but it will not be an asset that you get something for.  It will allow you to match larger salaries, but assuredly whatever team you're trading with will ask for extra compensation for taking on Wallace.  For that reason it has utility, and thus there is no reason to go crazy to get rid of it now, but it's still a negative asset, and at some point we will either pay to have it go away or keep him on the roster.

How is it a 'negative asset' if you're using it to match salaries ?

It could play an important role in landing a quality player.  A huge role in fact, since you won't have a player remotely close to matching a quality player's contract.

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 04:45:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It could play an important role in landing a quality player.  A huge role in fact, since you won't have a player remotely close to matching a quality player's contract.

Because teams will ask for something extra for Wallace's contract.  It still ties up their salary cap room by $10 million, prevents them from getting a large trade exception, costs the owners money, and so on.  It allows us to do things with the cap that we otherwise might not be able to do, but we get to pay extra for the privelege, probably to the tune of a decent first-rounder.  See Jeremy Lin, for example, or Andris Biedrins and Richard Jefferson.

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
So what if you have to include extra assets with Wallace?  That's the whole idea.  Better than being stuck in no man's land like the clippers with no matching salaries and no TPE's.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 05:13:49 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell

Because teams will ask for something extra for Wallace's contract.  It still ties up their salary cap room by $10 million, prevents them from getting a large trade exception, costs the owners money, and so on.  It allows us to do things with the cap that we otherwise might not be able to do, but we get to pay extra for the privelege, probably to the tune of a decent first-rounder.  See Jeremy Lin, for example, or Andris Biedrins and Richard Jefferson.

Well obviously he's not getting you something by himself.  But with the assets you have (specifically the first round picks), you can add a top pick with Wallace's contract & nab a pretty good return while doing it.  It's going to help since it's a ton of money and it will expire.

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 05:38:14 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Actually I won't trade either Bradley or Wallace!

I think Bradley will become a cornerstone in our rebuild. When we get some kind of inside defence, then we will see what a fantastic defender he is. Also I believe that he is improving all the time on his offence, and he is still young. His contract will turn out to be pretty good with the new tv-deal.

When it comes to Wallace, then we must admit, that we will not compete next season no matter if we have him on the team or not. I think he is good influence on the youngsters and he will help Sullinger, KO and so in to develop, and be the veteran who the youngsters can lean on, when it's going to get tough. I don't think any team would take on his contract unless they get extra assets, and I really don't want to give up any assets to get rid of Wallace.

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 06:03:47 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
So I'm a much bigger Bradley fan than a lot of people on these forums. I think giving him up is way too much to get Wallace's contract off the books.

For that matter, I wouldn't give anything up to get rid of Wallace. We are in acquiring asset mode, we shouldn't be giving up assets in order to shed salary. Mostly because I don't believe the extra cap space we are receiving is worth giving up Bradley.

I think Bradley has value in the league, I would be fine with moving him but I would want it as part of a bigger deal bringing back a star rather than attaching him to Wallace to do what amounts to a smaller deal.

I think AB's value is such that if we found two top tier free agents that would sign here as a package deal, we could attach Bradley to Wallace in order to clear the space. Even then I think we could get rid of Wallace for a future late 1st.

Avery Bradley is 5 Months older than Kelly Olynyk.  Not a great comparison as AB is a guard and in his 5th season and KO is a big and in his 2nd, but it does provide a reminder of just how young Bradley is. 

If AB is overpaid (7.1M this year), it's not by all that much.  He can be a factor on both ends of the court, and while his shot is inconsistent, he does catch fire at times and has improved his shot significantly since his first couple of seasons.   

I don't see why Danny would give up an asset like Avery just to get one year ahead on the cap situation.   GW will be very tradeable by this time next year.