Poll

Which versus debate is silliest or most obvious?

Manning vs Brady
3 (14.3%)
Wilt vs Russell
3 (14.3%)
1940's French military vs 1940's German military
10 (47.6%)
Babe Ruth vs field
4 (19%)
John Wooden vs field
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Which versus debate is silliest or most obvious?  (Read 18406 times)

Re: Which versus debate is silliest or most obvious?
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2015, 11:34:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
So the Brady vs Peyton debate is dead. Deader than dead. We are soooooo far past it nobody should ever discuss it. Ever again. Ever.

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2015, 11:42:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So the Brady vs Peyton debate is dead. Deader than dead. We are soooooo far past it nobody should ever discuss it. Ever again. Ever.

So you don't think that if Manning had Bill and the Pats organization that he couldn't have done as well or better?

Cuz that's like..pivotal.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2015, 01:43:10 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

So you don't think that if Manning had Bill and the Pats organization that he couldn't have done as well or better?

True.  However, and by no means am I a football guy, Peyton Manning always seems to choke at the most critical of moments in the postseason, and he did have Tony Dungy as a coach, who is certainly no slouch, iirc, so I wouldn't say that it's all on the coaching staff.  Like I said earlier in this thread (which, admittedly, was some time ago, lol ;D), Peyton always seemed, to me, like the Lebron of the NFL, in that everyone kisses his butt, calls him a genius, and he routinely takes home every award known to man (at least it certainly seems that way), but at the end of the day, he's more hype than substance.  At least we've seen Lebron get it done in crunch time, but either way, both of them are frauds in terms of their respective legacies, but again, that's probably just me.  Of course, I also don't understand how Manning keeps getting a free pass while Brett Favre is constantly chastised.  Sure, his retirement stuff was annoying, and the whole episode with him in crocs was disgusting, but before he entered the twilight of his career, I don't remember anyone saying that the guy was the Karl Malone of the NFL.  Iirc, only in his later years did he choke in crunch time, including that game with the headhunting scandal, while Peyton was pretty much a choke artist from his first postseason until now, or have I gotten everything messed up, lol? ;D

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2015, 02:28:22 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Manning vs Brady
Marino vs Montana

You can take either side, but you can only take one side. That is all.

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2015, 03:45:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

You mean have Brady play in a dome his whole career with Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and Edgerin James and Tarrik Glenn, and have Manning play in the wind and snow his whole career with David Patten and Givens and Reche Caldwell?  Hmmmmm.....

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2015, 03:53:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

In this alternate universe who makes Wal Mart commercials with Justin Timberlake? And the Nationwide ones? And the Papa Johns ones? And the Gatorade ones? And the mastercard ones? And the nerf ones? And the espn one? And the car one where he talks to the car? And the sprint NFL mobile one? Oh and the DirectTv one? And the sneaker ones?
Would it still be Manning or would it be Brady?

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

You mean have Brady play in a dome his whole career with Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and Edgerin James and Tarrik Glenn, and have Manning play in the wind and snow his whole career with David Patten and Givens and Reche Caldwell?  Hmmmmm.....

Would Brady get Archie as his father and Eli as his brother?  Would he have to swap noses too?
Yup

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

Brady drove the Pats to a win in the final drive against the Rams; drove the Pats to a game winninng FG against the Panthers;  gave the Pats late game leads both times against the Giants; and last Sunday came back with 2 TDs against Seattle after being down 10 in the 4th quarter.  Manning's history in weather and in big games is mediocre at best.  Not sure who the coach is matters at these critical moments.  Maybe BB gets Peyton more opportunities, but then again the Colts/Denver had plenty of big game chances.

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2015, 06:21:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Debate should be Brady v. Montana (1A & 1B in my book), not Brady v. Manning. 

My apologies to Otto Graham.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2015, 07:35:14 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Other:  #4 vs #99
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2015, 07:42:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2015, 08:53:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Debate should be Brady v. Montana (1A & 1B in my book), not Brady v. Manning. 

My apologies to Otto Graham.
At the time Otto played, weren't there like 10 teams?

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2015, 09:22:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

lol, this teaches me to walk into a debate half-cocked (and I locked the commercials comment also, good stuff).

I will say though that I'd take Bill and the Pats organization over Jim Irsay and the Colts, no matter how many offensive weapons Manning had. It is making excuses for the guy a little bit, you can only say so much about a person who went 1-3 in Superbowl games, and especially the way some of those games played out.

I would be very interested in seeing how Manning's career would've played out with the pats though. Kind of like I'd love to have seen Duncan on the Celtics.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2015, 09:37:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

lol, this teaches me to walk into a debate half-cocked (and I locked the commercials comment also, good stuff).

I will say though that I'd take Bill and the Pats organization over Jim Irsay and the Colts, no matter how many offensive weapons Manning had. It is making excuses for the guy a little bit, you can only say so much about a person who went 1-3 in Superbowl games, and especially the way some of those games played out.

I would be very interested in seeing how Manning's career would've played out with the pats though. Kind of like I'd love to have seen Duncan on the Celtics.
I think Peyton went 1 and 2 actually. Anyway...I guess to be fair I should have asked who'd marry the super model, but we can't blame her anymore.

Hey does Peyton now get Wes Welker dropping the ball at the exact wrong time? Because Brady was probably a Wes Welker away from....A FIFTH super bowl ring.

I admit that had Marino played in San Fran with Jerry Rice  and Seifert and Montana played in Miami with Shula....well then you gotta wonder what would happen to Steve Young.

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Would Brady get Archie as his father and Eli as his brother?  Would he have to swap noses too?
Would Peyton end up in Michigan trying to fend off Drew Henson and would Brady go to Tennessee and not beat Danny Weurfeull, but then have his team and backup (Tee Martin) win the championship the year after he left? Meaning at the University of Tennessee next to Neyland Stadium the roads would now be Tom Brady Pass and Tee Martin Drive?

Someone needs to fire up the Delorian asap.