Poll

Which versus debate is silliest or most obvious?

Manning vs Brady
3 (14.3%)
Wilt vs Russell
3 (14.3%)
1940's French military vs 1940's German military
10 (47.6%)
Babe Ruth vs field
4 (19%)
John Wooden vs field
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Which versus debate is silliest or most obvious?  (Read 18413 times)

Which versus debate is silliest or most obvious?
« on: January 11, 2015, 07:55:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Personally I gotta go Wilt vs Russell but I'm open minded here.

Re: Which versus debate is silliest or most obvious?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:59:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I've been reading Bill Simmon's book of basketball and I gotta go along with him. Russell vs Wilt is an obvious answer.

Germans vs French...I mean you could argue the Germans overreached and the French played rope a dope in a manner of speaking. I mean who had a country at the end of the 40s and who was cut in half? Granted they had a lot of help, but still.

Manning vs Brady...well it's not done yet so Manning has a chance in heck of catching him, but still.

Babe didn't play against players of color and it was a different era.

Wooden...vs field? The whole field? I take Wooden, but maybe you can make an argument seeing as how you have the whole field to work with. I mean Coach K alone probably gives him a bit of a run.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I would argue Ruth vs the field is the silliest, because I can't really see how anyone could make a convincing argument either way. The differences in all of the eras are just too numerous and overwhelming to really be able to come to many conclusions.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 08:13:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I would argue Ruth vs the field is the silliest, because I can't really see how anyone could make a convincing argument either way. The differences in all of the eras are just too numerous and overwhelming to really be able to come to many conclusions.
I think the Ruth argument is that the guy was well on his way to being a Hall of Fame pitcher...then switches mid career and becomes the best hitter ever. I think the year he hit 60 (in a season shorter than today) the next closest was Lou Gehrig with like 47 and the next closest was 18. The difference between him and the next best players was one of the biggest difference for any athlete ever. And he did it on a diet of hot dogs and beer (at least that's the legend).

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:14:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Of the course the biggest difference between the best athlete and the next best was Secretariat.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:16:29 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Ruth is the most obvious.  Even with the issue of segregation, his abilities and accomplishments as a pitcher seal the deal.  Imagine if Payton Manning spent the first few years of his career as a shutdown corner or thousand yard running back before becoming a QB.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 08:18:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A lot of these debates were so one sided that there should be no debate.

The Germans won in 1 month and 15 days.  The Maginot line was completely bypassed and useless.

Wilt is very much the superior player to Bill but a worse, team mate if that makes sense and it made all the difference in titles.

Brady will win more Superbowls, I don't think he can be caught, and it looks ever better after today.   But Manning should make more money off endorsements but Brady has the rocket hot wife.

I think religious debates are the silliest but they are not mentioned.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 08:19:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Ruth is the most obvious.  Even with the issue of segregation, his abilities and accomplishments as a pitcher seal the deal.  Imagine if Payton Manning spent the first few years of his career as a shutdown corner or thousand yard running back before becoming a QB.

Mike
Hmmm....you make a very persuasive argument. So you're saying Ruth dominates the field more than Brady dominates Manning and more than Russell dominated Wilt? Hmmmm. I'll have to think about it

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 08:19:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
A lot of these debates were so one sided that there should be no debate.
Well yes. That's my point. It's tough to choose.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 08:21:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm not so sure the Germans were so much mightier or stronger. They were just smarter going around the Maginot Line and still fudged up the Dunkirk thing and the Russia thing and the Battle of Britain.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Of the course the biggest difference between the best athlete and the next best was Secretariat.

Uh, oh—now you're getting into the question of whether a horse can be considered an athlete. Careful!  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Even though I'm not a football guy, I think that the Manning-Brady one is just silly.  Watching Manning lose year after year to the Patriots was like Jordan versus Isiah, until New England downgraded their defense, iirc.  I also think that Peyton Manning is the Lebron James of the NFL - he gets all the attention and awards, but when you really look at it, he routinely comes up empty in the biggest games and moments, but again, I don't like football, lol. ;D  Of course, I think that Brady vs Eli Manning is completely one-sided in the favor of the Giants' quarterback, but what do I know?

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Uh, oh—now you're getting into the question of whether a horse can be considered an athlete. Careful!  ;D
The horse is an athlete!

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I think the Ruth argument is that the guy was well on his way to being a Hall of Fame pitcher...then switches mid career and becomes the best hitter ever. I think the year he hit 60 (in a season shorter than today) the next closest was Lou Gehrig with like 47 and the next closest was 18. The difference between him and the next best players was one of the biggest difference for any athlete ever. And he did it on a diet of hot dogs and beer (at least that's the legend).

And he even played partially in the dead ball era and shorter seasons, so that skews the numbers against him. But as you said, no black players, no Latin/South American/Japanese players in the pool of competition. Also, it wasn't uncommon for him to be facing guys in the later innings on an absurd pitch count, on three days rest with 240 innings under their belt by mid August. It's even difficult to gauge players' years in the mid eighties vs the mid nineties for obvious reasons, and the best stat off the top of my head is OPS+, but that's not perfect.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 08:23:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Even though I'm not a football guy, I think that the Manning-Brady one is just silly.  Watching Manning lose year after year to the Patriots was like Jordan versus Isiah, until New England downgraded their defense, iirc.  I also think that Peyton Manning is the Lebron James of the NFL - he gets all the attention and awards, but when you really look at it, he routinely comes up empty in the biggest games and moments, but again, I don't like football, lol. ;D  Of course, I think that Brady vs Eli Manning is completely one-sided in the favor of the Giants' quarterback, but what do I know?
Plus they changed the rules for P manning twice. Plus he kept losing in almost Brett Farvian fashion with game losing INTs.

I mean he made better commercials than Brady.