Author Topic: 2015 Philly/Boston Draft Deal  (Read 5772 times)

2015 Philly/Boston Draft Deal
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Philly wants Okafor, bad. It's been reported several times, and they might have the chance of getting him.  If not Okafor, I've read they'd take Towns next. I'm not sure why they keep insisting on drafting bigs, but it means some good players will be on the trade block if they can land one of the two.

Let's say Philly ends up with the 1st pick of the draft, and they draft Okafor. If we had something like the 4th or 5th pick, missing out on the studs Towns and Mudiay, would you offer up the pick for either Embiid or Noel? Philly would probably want to wait and see them all play before trading one of them off, but a 4th pick in the draft could net them another good piece to pair with their bigs.

Would you offer up our pick for Embiid or Noel? And do you think Philly would bite on that offer?

Re: 2015 Philly/Boston Draft Deal
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 08:47:27 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd want Joel Embiid.

The injury history is a concern, but with that potential, why the heck not?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 08:50:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I'd want Joel Embiid.

Same here. If we lucked into a top 3 pick, I wouldn't chance it. But outside of the top 3 I think it's definitely worth it.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd want Joel Embiid.

Same here. If we lucked into a top 3 pick, I wouldn't chance it. But outside of the top 3 I think it's definitely worth it.

Yeah. The back really scares me though. But if you're going to make me choose between WCS, Winslow, Porzingis or Embiid, that would be an easy decision.

Huh? Weird, we finally agreed on something... TP.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:57:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
I'd want Joel Embiid.

Yeah. The back really scares me though. But if you're going to make me choose between WCS, Winslow, Porzingis or Embiid, that would be an easy decision.

Huh? Weird, we finally agreed on something... TP.

Haha that dang Rondo and his polarizing ways! TP back at you.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 11:39:05 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Might be able to trade for Noel if Embid scares you off.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 11:52:19 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Might be able to trade for Noel if Embid scares you off.

Id rather roll the dice with Embiid.  I dont think Noel is gonna amount to much.  Maybe a Tyson Chandler lite.
Greg

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
What about this scenario.  What if we end up with the say #2 pick and Philly ends up with say, the #4 or 5 pick.

If Philly wants Towns that bad (assuming Okafor goes #1)   Would you consider a trade of say, Joel Embiid and Phillys #4 pick for the right to draft Towns?
Greg

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
What about this scenario.  What if we end up with the say #2 pick and Philly ends up with say, the #4 or 5 pick.

If Philly wants Towns that bad (assuming Okafor goes #1)   Would you consider a trade of say, Joel Embiid and Phillys #4 pick for the right to draft Towns?

It's tempting but I think we need to take Towns or whoever Danny think is 2nd best in that scenario. Embiid could be amazing but could be the next Oden. It's so tempting but so risky!

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 12:34:17 PM »

Offline hondobird33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Probably a smoke screen that Sixers a putting out they want a center (i.e. Okafor).  Most teams keep cards close to the vest unless they want to create a desired perceptions.  They are set at center and likely want teams to think they want a center so if they get top pick or are drafting and a top center is available teams will want to trade.

Sixers have too many other needs.  Only reason they might draft a center or do a trade with either Noel or Embiid is if they think either of those players have been or will be a disappointment.

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong but that is my educated guess. I think teams that I worry that might pick ahead of us to draft a top center are in this order Knicks/Fakers/Minney (less likely since they have 1 center under long/large contract & one young promising).   

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
While I agree that it's probably a smokescreen that they want Okafor, I'll definitely offer the Celtics pick (If it's out of the top 5) to take a chance on Embiid.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Probably a smoke screen that Sixers a putting out they want a center (i.e. Okafor).  Most teams keep cards close to the vest unless they want to create a desired perceptions.  They are set at center and likely want teams to think they want a center so if they get top pick or are drafting and a top center is available teams will want to trade.

Sixers have too many other needs.  Only reason they might draft a center or do a trade with either Noel or Embiid is if they think either of those players have been or will be a disappointment.

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong but that is my educated guess. I think teams that I worry that might pick ahead of us to draft a top center are in this order Knicks/Fakers/Minney (less likely since they have 1 center under long/large contract & one young promising).

TP.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 02:38:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Ehhh, I don't know. The can't miss prospects in this draft are 2 C's (Okafor and Towns) and a PG (Mudiay). I can see them using it as a smokescreen if they really want Mudiay to replace MCW, which makes sense. However, if they get pick number 2 or 3 and Mudiay is off of the board, I don't see any way they pass up on Okafor or Towns. So I'll give you that they could be doing that for Mudiay, but what other prospect do you think they'd truly be after?

And the reasoning behind this drafting ideology was to gain more assets. Philly is taking the extreme long rebuild approach. By drafting Okafor, they'd have a nice trade chip in Embiid or Noel to upgrade their other positions of need. Or it could just be that they're extemely fearful of Embiid's injuries, or they know something about it that hasn't been leaked yet.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »

Offline HeadDoctorJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
While I agree that it's probably a smokescreen that they want Okafor, I'll definitely offer the Celtics pick (If it's out of the top 5) to take a chance on Embiid.

Danny admitted after the draft that he would have taken Embiid at 6 if he was on the board. I have to believe that, in the somewhat weaker draft coming up, he would do the same. That's assuming the bigs he likes are off the board. I don't see him trading a prospect like Towns or Okafor if healthy for a prospect with some concerning injuries (who likewise has done nothing at the pro level yet).

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 09:47:11 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Would give any draft pick we receive for embiid, but no possibility whatsoever Phili would be willing to move embiid.  Would consider (most likely would but would have to know where our pick falls) move our first for Noel.