Author Topic: Car Insurance/Driving Record/Shopping around  (Read 1409 times)

Car Insurance/Driving Record/Shopping around
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
A few months back, I was involved in a car accident. I was able to have the ticket/citation dismissed in court; however, my insurance company found me at fault in their own independent investigation.  They basically did nothing for me...It seemed as if they didn't put up a fight and just shipped money out to the other guy for his damages and I believe he is also claiming personal injury....Anyways, I know my premiums will most likely increase when my policy renews, due to the total damage being greater than $2500.

My question is, if I decide to shop around for new insurance, do I have to say that I was in an at-fault accident since the ticket/citation was dismissed in court and therefore shouldn't appear on my state driving record?  Or does it appear?  I don't know much about this stuff, just kind of vague on much of it.  Thanks in advance for any help/advice. 

Re: Car Insurance/Driving Record/Shopping around
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 08:44:47 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
You may not even be asked about it. The company quoting your insurance will run a Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) that will show your driving history. I doubt you will even have to worry about disclosure.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Soul Glo
Well I have already started looking around for quotes via the internet and every company has asked, "Have you had any accidents or moving violations within the last 3/5 years?"

I just am not sure if it's OK to say no, due to ticket dismissal or do I say, "Yes, I have been involved in an at-fault accident."

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 08:58:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Is there a good faith argument that you weren't at fault?  Regardless of the dismissal of the citation, is there a scenario where the accident was the fault of the other driver?

If so, I don't think you'd be lying if you didn't list it.  To be safe, though, read the instructions carefully.

However, know that the insurance company has access to something called a Clue report, which I think lists all your insurance claims for the last 5 to 7 years.  There may be an indication on there that you were at fault.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:04:26 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 09:06:18 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Soul Glo
Basically what happened was I was driving down a main roadway and another vehicle (on my right hand-side) was pulling out of a side street to make a left hand turn (thus crossing my lane of traffic to enter their desired location).  The driver wasn't fully in the road way and I was proceeding straight on the main road and didn't authorize him to go, enter the lane of traffic, take his left hand turn.  He ended up driving into my front passenger fender; however, he had a witness taking his side that said I basically crossed the center, yellow line to avoid/disallow him from taking his left hand turn.  Essentially, the witness is what killed any defense I had. 

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 09:29:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I would suggest going to a local independent agent who's been in the insurance business for awhile and knows his way around, so to speak.  Ask for the person who's name is on the sign.  You may pay a couple of bucks extra, but there's more to insurance than price - like how far they'll back you when there's a claim. I'd rather deal with a pro then some $10 an hour customer service person at an online company - just my own preference.

Chances are if its an agency that's been in business for a while, the person running the shop knows their stuff and is in the best position to give you the right product for what you're looking for.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I would not self incriminate myself or volunteer and info , if they don't ask that would hurt you .

Insurance is the biggest racket in world

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 09:37:48 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Soul Glo
I would suggest going to a local independent agent who's been in the insurance business for awhile and knows his way around, so to speak.  Ask for the person who's name is on the sign.  You may pay a couple of bucks extra, but there's more to insurance than price - like how far they'll back you when there's a claim. I'd rather deal with a pro then some $10 an hour customer service person at an online company - just my own preference.

Chances are if its an agency that's been in business for a while, the person running the shop knows their stuff and is in the best position to give you the right product for what you're looking for.

That's probably going to be my next move.  A co-worker of mine, his father owns/runs an independent office for Nationwide Insurance in my area.  He told me his father is straight and to the point, tries to help his customers, etc...basically everything you just said.  I definitely felt that my insurance company, I currently have Progressive, didn't back me.  As soon as I informed them I hired my own legal counsel, they cut all ties from talking with me...which I understand, but then about 2-3 weeks later, I signed online and checked on my claim and they had dished out money to the other party.  I feel they did nothing for me, didn't try to fight at all.  I'm definitely grateful my lawyer got the ticket dismissed, but we'll see what happens with this whole independent investigation thing.