Author Topic: no 37?  (Read 1635 times)

no 37?
« on: January 10, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 77
Wishing my brother a happy 37th birthday, I discovered that there have been no Celtics with that number according to Basketball reference! http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/numbers.html

I wonder why that is. Thoughts?
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

Re: no 37?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 01:50:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Numbers where the first or the second digit are larger than 5 are less common in the league. I think it's a holdover from the fact that they are harder to signal to the  scorer's table (need both hands for at least one of the number).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Re: no 37?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 02:00:55 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Numbers where the first or the second digit are larger than 5 are less common in the league. I think it's a holdover from the fact that they are harder to signal to the  scorer's table (need both hands for at least one of the number).
i think you are correct on past practice, but one look at the jersey number list shows dozens upon dozens of players did not shrink from wearing the numbers 6, 7, 8, or 9.

the question is an interesting one. maybe it is just a quirk of circumstances that 37 has never been chosen by anyone in celtic history. aside from that wild guess i have no idea.  :P
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva