Author Topic: Latest Green deal proposal has us getting Salmons and Prince  (Read 17081 times)

Re: Latest Green deal proposal has us getting Salmons and Prince
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2015, 03:05:57 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm intrigued to see what Stevens could do with Rivers.  He turned Bradley into more of a scorer than anyone expected, though he's a steaky chucker, and he's got Turner shooting his best percentage of his career.  Rivers s still just 22 and has been stuck behind veterans on a win-now NO team.

He still better not be in place of a first.

Mike

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Also, more guard depth...Makes you wonder if Avery Bradley or Turner might actually be out of here by the deadline.

Maybe both? I think Danny will try to get out of the Bradley deal but I don't know what team would be willing to take on his salary... Turner is a lot cheaper, so maybe Danny keeps him around. Youngish and low cost should be the name of the game now.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2015, 03:08:22 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Stein just confirmed the first is still going to Boston.

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Rivers was given his opportunities and did nothing with them. He was always the prototypical boom-bust player given that he needs to be ball-dominant to be effective. Unfortunately he was just never able to live up to expectations.

I'm afraid Roy is right, but that should guarantee that the first is still involved - just maneuvering players.

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
Stein just confirmed the first is still going to Boston.

PHEW.

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2015, 03:10:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
@ESPNSteinLine  20s21 seconds ago
Remains to be seen if deal is pushed through today or if it waits until league office opens Monday. But the three teams have agreed to terms

Rivers is shooting 39% from the field & 28% from three...So, his biggest perceived talent coming out of Duke is a big time weakness so far this season.
true, but last year he shot 36.4% from three, which is ok. who knows? maybe in another system his abilities may do better. maybe.

I'd rather take a shot on him than wait for a 2019 1st round pick...Let's see if he can get his shot going.
and if anyone will encourage rivers to take more 3 point shots it is CBS.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2015, 03:10:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Stein:  Trade as constructed: Grizz poised to get Jeff Green; Celts to get Tay Prince, Austin Rivers and future first; Pels to get Quincy Pondexter

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz3OS264R7F

So, it would just be to save both New Orleans and Memphis money.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2015, 03:11:38 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Also, more guard depth...Makes you wonder if Avery Bradley or Turner might actually be out of here by the deadline.

Maybe both? I think Danny will try to get out of the Bradley deal but I don't know what team would be willing to take on his salary... Turner is a lot cheaper, so maybe Danny keeps him around. Youngish and low cost should be the name of the game now.

The thing with Bradley is that there were probably a number of teams that were interested in him this past off-season, they were just over the salary cap. A playoff-caliber team who plans on remaining over the cap should totally have an interest in Bradley as he is the perfect third guard, spot starter. If all Ainge wants to do is 'dump' Bradley and his contract, it shouldn't be too much of a problem - especially if we are willing to take on salary for next year as well.

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2015, 03:11:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rivers is definitely skilled.  If we get him, he would instantaneously be one of the top ball handlers on the team.   Good at having a chance to finish around the basket, but the ball has not been falling in on a regular basis. With added strength he should be able to finish through contact better.  Can get to the line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijlnR83rF3Y

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2015, 03:16:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Stein:  Trade as constructed: Grizz poised to get Jeff Green; Celts to get Tay Prince, Austin Rivers and future first; Pels to get Quincy Pondexter

makes sense

Trade could be also looked at this way

To Grizzlies: Green
To Celtics: Prince, 1st , (but celts wanted another 1st)

To Pelicans: Pondexter
To Grizzlies: Rivers

instead of another 1st Grizzlies offer the Celts Rivers. Danny takes it

To Celtics: Prince, Rivers, 1st

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2015, 03:16:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Rivers is definitely skilled.  If we get him, he would instantaneously be one of the top ball handlers on the team.   Good at having a chance to finish around the basket, but the ball has not been falling in on a regular basis. With added strength he should be able to finish through contact better.  Can get to the line

Every guard in the NBA is skilled.  Rivers has less of it than almost everyone else.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

makes sense

Trade could be also looked at this way

To Grizzlies: Green
To Celtics: Prince, 1st , (but celts wanted another 1st)

To Pelicans: Pondexter
To Grizzlies: Rivers

instead of another 1st Grizzlies offer the Celts Rivers. Danny takes it

To Celtics: Prince, Rivers, 1st

Danny isn't a drooling idiot. He values a first more than a bust who didn't get his rookie option picked up.

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2015, 03:19:25 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

The thing with Bradley is that there were probably a number of teams that were interested in him this past off-season, they were just over the salary cap. A playoff-caliber team who plans on remaining over the cap should totally have an interest in Bradley as he is the perfect third guard, spot starter. If all Ainge wants to do is 'dump' Bradley and his contract, it shouldn't be too much of a problem - especially if we are willing to take on salary for next year as well.

Oh I don't doubt there were teams that were interested, but at what price for them? I still think we overpaid for him and his market value was lower than the deal he signed. It's not like he went out and signed an offer sheet that Danny matched. This was the deal Danny gave based on potential. The question moving forward should be has Avery shown enough to justify it? Should Danny still be willing to pay him $8m+ during a rebuild?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2015, 03:19:44 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Austin Rivers is in his third season, and is shooting 38.7% from the field and 28.0% from 3PT.  He shoots about 24% on 2PTs that are 10-feet and longer.  He has a career .462 TS%.  He's poor defensively, and is mediocre as a rebounder and passer.

He's absolute garbage.  The only good news is that New Orleans declined his option, so he's a free agent at the end of the year.

I'm sure this is just a sloppy report by Stein, because with no #1, this would be ridiculously poor value.

Last season at 24, 2 years older than Rivers, Jimmy Butler shot 39.7% from the field and 28% from three.

Butler still looked like a much better player than Rivers, but can we not bury players at 22 years old?

Mike

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Every guard in the NBA is skilled.  Rivers has less of it than almost everyone else.

Roy you need to be patient.  He is still a young guy. Only played 1 year of college ball. He came into this season in better shape

His ball handling and ability to score over/around trees is above average. He just needs to work on being more efficient

Maybe CBS can help him become a better/efficient player.  Maybe he will build a good chemistry with Smart