Author Topic: Stein: Celtics/Grizzlies talks heating up over Green  (Read 13604 times)

Re: Stein: Celtics/Grizzlies talks heating up over Green
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'll guess prince and a 2nd rounder

It would already be done if that was the price.

I'm assuming Ainge values Green more than you.

Agreed. A second rounder is virtually no compensation at all. It would be only for the sake of doing Memphis and Green a favor.

The Celtics and Grizzlies, sources said, have been exchanging trade proposals on Green for some time, with Memphis believed to be offering the $7.7 million expiring contract of Tayshaun Prince and a future first-round pick to Boston in exchange for Green.
If the Griz were offering a future 1st round pick, I have to imagine this would be done.

Green is gone for the first team that offers a protected future 1st.  Maybe Ainge is trying to squeeze another one out of them... but I think he's prepared to move Green for an expiring and 2nd.  He's gotta be careful he doesn't blow an opportunity to get a 1st for Green by asking for too much and seeing Memphis go elsewhere leaving Boston holding the bag.

Assuming Green opts out, the only thing they'd miss out on in your scenario is a 2nd rounder. I think it's worth the risk to simply hold out for something better than to move him for pick 53 some year.

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2015, 05:20:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Pressey is the best Point Guard for this team currently. No way he's moved.
This is just ... too funny. Phil Pressey is not an NBA player. He won't make it to an NBA roster after he's let go from the Celtics.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2015, 05:20:27 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I'm surprised. I thought there was no way Memphis would give up Adams + Prince or a first rounder + Prince. If Ainge lands one of those deals it'll be a steal.

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2015, 05:20:51 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Read that the Celtics and Jameer are possibly negotiating a buy out earlier today

From the CSN Washington guy?  He's just tossing out potential buyout names. I bet nothing is imminent with Jameer.

Yeah, but I'm betting the groundwork has been laid if Ainge has to make a roster spot.

I have a feeling he (and should) value Pressey more than Jameer.
Pressey is garbage.  He's only valuable in the sense that he helps us lose games.

Jameer will be bought out if we don't find a way to get pick value out of him.  His veteran presence is a waste on this team.

Pressey would struggle to get minutes in the D-League.  He's horrible.  If he's still in the NBA in 3 years, I'll be shocked.

He's the best PG for the tank. Eventually he'll be a serviceable backup.

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I wouldn't mind if

1) Ainge somehow gets Prince, Adams, & a 1st for Green (It's likely Adams or the 1st rd pk). Maybe he could squeeze out a 2nd rounder?

OR

2) We include Zeller or Wright (Wright must be in a separate deal) w/ Green to get Prince, Koufos, & Jordan Adams.

3) A third team like Toronto got involved:

To BOS: Fields/Hayes/Adams & a future first

To TOR: Prince/Bass

To MEM: Green/Hansbrough/two 2nd rd pks
===================================================

Prince or Fields & Hayes can each be waived. Jordan Adams can go to the D-league until Ainge clears another spot (probably Nelson, Thornton, Bass, or Wright)

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2015, 05:21:12 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Read that the Celtics and Jameer are possibly negotiating a buy out earlier today

From the CSN Washington guy?  He's just tossing out potential buyout names. I bet nothing is imminent with Jameer.

Yeah, but I'm betting the groundwork has been laid if Ainge has to make a roster spot.

I have a feeling he (and should) value Pressey more than Jameer.
Pressey is garbage.  He's only valuable in the sense that he helps us lose games.

Jameer will be bought out if we don't find a way to get pick value out of him.  His veteran presence is a waste on this team.

Pressey would struggle to get minutes in the D-League.  He's horrible.  If he's still in the NBA in 3 years, I'll be shocked.

I think he has a chance , if he can become a reliable 3 pt shooter, Thats a huge if though . He can get into the lane and create for others, and is a decent defender , needs a reliable shot though. No more than a 3rd string PG though .

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Agreed. A second rounder is virtually no compensation at all. It would be only for the sake of doing Memphis and Green a favor.

The Celtics and Grizzlies, sources said, have been exchanging trade proposals on Green for some time, with Memphis believed to be offering the $7.7 million expiring contract of Tayshaun Prince and a future first-round pick to Boston in exchange for Green.
If the Griz were offering a future 1st round pick, I have to imagine this would be done.

Green is gone for the first team that offers a protected future 1st.  Maybe Ainge is trying to squeeze another one out of them... but I think he's prepared to move Green for an expiring and 2nd.  He's gotta be careful he doesn't blow an opportunity to get a 1st for Green by asking for too much and seeing Memphis go elsewhere leaving Boston holding the bag.

Assuming Green opts out, the only thing they'd miss out on in your scenario is a 2nd rounder. I think it's worth the risk to simply hold out for something better than to move him for pick 53 some year.
well you run the risk of Green getting injured and opting in.   Boston values prospective cap space over a marginal veteran talent like Green.   I believe Ainge would settle for a 2nd, be ecstatic for a 1st... if he gets two 1sts, that would be a major overpay for Memphis. 

Best case scenario - They are going back and forth about protection on a 1st.

Worst case scenario:  Memphis is saying 2nd, Boston is saying 1st... Boston will inevitably take the 2nd

But then again, I majorly overestimated Rondo's value as well.  Maybe Boston is asking for a 2nd and Memphis is saying "no way... Prince for Green straight up"

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2015, 05:23:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think he has a chance , if he can become a reliable 3 pt shooter, Thats a huge if though . He can get into the lane and create for others, and is a decent defender , needs a reliable shot though. No more than a 3rd string PG though .
He barely shot 40% from the floor in college. I wouldn't hold my breath.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My prediction
Green and 2nd for prince and 1st.

Waive prince

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2015, 05:26:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The issue is clearly the level of protection.  Grizz won't be able to trade a 1st round pick until 2018 at the earliest.  Likely 2019.  The further out that pick is, the more uncertainty exists, which means it's less valuable.  The fewer protections, the more valuable.  Somewhere in between is the deal that will be made.

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My prediction

Waive prince

How protected is the pick in your prediction?

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
My prediction

Waive prince

How protected is the pick in your prediction?
Solid idea triboy16...

Boston asks for a 1st
Memphis says 2nd

they compromise. 

What 1st rounder can they even trade at this point?  Don't they already have one heavily protected pick going out that prevents us from getting one until like 2019?

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
2015 first round draft pick to Denver
Memphis' 1st round pick to Denver (via Cleveland) protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 and 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019
Read more at http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#CsCrCAGY5EQ6A8Cc.99

SO maybe a 2020 protected pick?

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
DA may be more greedy with all the flak he caught in the Rondo give away he orchestrated .

Second round would be low ball

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
2015 first round draft pick to Denver
Memphis' 1st round pick to Denver (via Cleveland) protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 and 1-5 in 2018 and unprotected in 2019
Read more at http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#CsCrCAGY5EQ6A8Cc.99

SO maybe a 2020 protected pick?

I'd do it. I should still be alive then barring a misfortune.