Author Topic: 3 team trade (Celtics/Raptors/Grizzlies)  (Read 1405 times)

3 team trade (Celtics/Raptors/Grizzlies)
« on: January 09, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I could see the Raptors, Celtics, and Grizzlies making this trade:

BOS sends: Green, Bass, future 2nd
BOS receives: Fields, Hayes, Pondexter, Adams, 2015 MEM 1st (Protected top 14---Opposite from DEN's protection)

MEM sends: Prince, Pondexter, Adams, 2015 1st rd pk
MEM receives: Green, Hansbrough, 2 future 2nds

TOR sends: Fields, Hayes, Hansbrough, conditional 2nd rd pk
TOR receives: Prince, Bass
===========================================================

Why each team does it?

TOR: Toronto gives up Fields, Hayes, Hansbrough to get upgrades in Prince & Bass. They also clear a roster spot and give up a 2nd rd pick in the process. 

MEM: Memphis gets its upgrade at the wing in Green (give up Adams to get him). They shed Pondexter's contract and Hansbrough (backup PF) to solidify their frontcourt.

BOS: Boston gets Jordan Adams. We take on Pondexter (3.1 mil over the next 3 yrs) which shouldn't be a problem since we're rebuilding. Fields and Hayes are immediately waived, while Adams is sent to the D-league until further moves are made to trim the roster.

Boston would get a 2nd rounder (via Tor) for trading Bass for Hayes. They send that 2nd rounder along with one of their own 2nds (maybe a heavily protected one) to get Memphis's 1st. 

Re: 3 team trade (Celtics/Raptors/Grizzlies)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't think Memphis can do that with their pick since it impacts their contractual obligation to convey that pick when it becomes unprotected.  --> it delays their ability to send the pick to Cleveland

aside from that, 3 journeyman, a rookie taken with a late pick and a 1st FOR Green, Bass and a 2nd?  not enough of a return.  Fields, Hayes and Pondexter bring nothing.  you're waiving them so you're eating contract expense.  Adams just further clogs our mess in the backcourt.  The pick is in purgatory until 2 years after Cleveland gets it.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 01:42:38 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
I don't think Memphis can do that with their pick since it impacts their contractual obligation to convey that pick when it becomes unprotected.  --> it delays their ability to send the pick to Cleveland

aside from that, 3 journeyman, a rookie taken with a late pick and a 1st FOR Green, Bass and a 2nd?  not enough of a return.  Fields, Hayes and Pondexter bring nothing.  you're waiving them so you're eating contract expense.  Adams just further clogs our mess in the backcourt.  The pick is in purgatory until 2 years after Cleveland gets it.

Not a CBA expert, but I think there are ways to get around the protections on the pick. As I stated in the post, Memphis would have to make the pick Top 14 protected. It's already Protected for picks 1-5 & 15-30 this yr, picks 15-30 next season, picks 1-5 in 2017-2018, & unprotected in 2019. This means Denver only gets the pick in 2015 if it falls between 6 & 14 (won't happen).

All the Grizzlies have to do is reverse the protection on the pick. For example they could offer us: 2015 1st (Top 14 protected this year & next yr, becomes 2 future second Rd picks after 2016.

Without Green, Bass, Nelson & Thornton (all likely either gone by the deadline or waived/bought out after) the rotation is much more fluid. I think Wright is likely to be traded as well, but I'm leaving him in the rotation because keeping him wouldn't be out of the question in like the other players I listed.

Future Rotation:

PG: Turner/Smart/Pressey
SG: Bradley/Adams/Young
SF: Crowder/Young/Turner
PF: Sully/ Olynyk
C: Zeller/ (Wright?)

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 02:43:31 PM »

Offline sjosephe

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
f As far as the CBA if they owed just a pick this season they could do a trade opposite of what is already owed another club. EX. Philly owes us their 2015 1st top 14 protected else two 2nds, Philly  could turn around and trade that 2015 1st pick 15-30 protected.

But with Memphis there's continues, 2015 (1-5 and 15-30 protected) 2016 (15-30) 2017-18 (top 5 protected) and unprotected 2019 so they can't trade any 1st until 2021 if not conveyed. They could write in the trade Boston get's a 1st 2 yrs. after trade with Denver is conveyed.

Can't Trade future 1st round picks in consecutive yrs. known as the Stepien rule.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:51:28 PM by sjosephe »

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Don't really see it for Toronto. I could see them doing this tho:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=75479.0
Mike

(My name is not Mike)