Author Topic: Boston beats LA to be US bid for 2024 Olympics  (Read 6364 times)

Re: Boston beats LA to be US bid for 2024 Olympics
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 12:58:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Beach volleyball in the Commons, equestrian events in Franklin Park, and a brand new temporary(!) stadium for the opening ceremony. I kid you not, that's written in the actual plans for the thing.

But then again, what can you expect when the chief of the biggest construction business around is spearheading the effort...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 01:38:18 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Build the Olympic village on spectacle island, build several high speed solar powered catamarans transporting the athletes back and forth, no traffic.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 02:02:55 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Beach volleyball in the Commons, equestrian events in Franklin Park, and a brand new temporary(!) stadium for the opening ceremony. I kid you not, that's written in the actual plans for the thing.

But then again, what can you expect when the chief of the biggest construction business around is spearheading the effort...

WOW, beach volleyball in the commons, put that thing in JFK Beach  ;D

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 02:11:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
New stadium for the Patriots in Boston?

The Olympics have been making the winning cities build all new facilities in order to win.  They can't dirty themselves using used stadiums. 

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 02:20:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
New stadium for the Patriots in Boston?

The Olympics have been making the winning cities build all new facilities in order to win.  They can't dirty themselves using used stadiums.

Temporary stadium.
http://www.boston.com/business/news/2014/11/24/how-temporary-olympic-stadium-plan-could-aid-boston-bid/wU633DU5NywxCGWsuNrwiI/story.html

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 02:33:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I heard something on sports talk today about building a semi-temp stadium, then taking down half of it and giving it to the Revs. Although the Revs will probably need a new venue way before 2024.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also I hope everyone has fond memories of the Big Dig because all indications are the construction is going to be similarly absurd.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Also I hope everyone has fond memories of the Big Dig because all indications are the construction is going to be similarly absurd.
But but but... Mayor Marty said this is not similar to the Big Dig...

http://leeinks.weei.com/sports/2015/01/09/mayor-martin-walsh-on-mfb-olympic-candidacy-allows-us-to-be-on-a-world-stage

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 03:47:28 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Fix the transportation infrastructure, that would go a ways of making this seem more realistic. 

T is an abomination compared to most major cities.  Anybody who has been on the Green Line knows that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team