Author Topic: Jeff Green to Clippers Chatter  (Read 12053 times)

Re: Jeff Green to Clippers Chatter
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 09:01:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The only way Danny trades Green to Clippers is if he is sending Green to destroy the Clipper season either as a double agent, or just because he believed Green sucks so much he will cost the Clippers the playoffs.

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 09:05:46 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think the two things to compare are our chances at a top 3 pick vs the chances that the Clips don't make the playoffs.  Let's say we finish with the 5th worst record, which is pretty plausible.  We would have:

8.8% chance at 1st pick
9.7% chance at 2nd pick
10.7% chance at 3rd pick

Or 29.2% chance at a top 3 selection.

Conversely, the Clippers are in 6th place out West and sitting at 24-12.  They've played a disproportionate amount of East Coast teams so far and are about to face a much harder schedule going forward.  San Antonio is right on their heels and I sincerely doubt that the Spurs don't make the playoffs.  Phoenix has won 10 of their last 12 games and looks for real.  OKC started the season without Westbrook or Durant and look primed to make a run. 

I guess the Suns are the most likely to come in 9th in the West, but the Clippers are really looking like candidates.  Would you say there is a 29.3% chance that they come in 9th?

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think the two things to compare are our chances at a top 3 pick vs the chances that the Clips don't make the playoffs.  Let's say we finish with the 5th worst record, which is pretty plausible.  We would have:

8.8% chance at 1st pick
9.7% chance at 2nd pick
10.7% chance at 3rd pick

Or 29.2% chance at a top 3 selection.

Conversely, the Clippers are in 6th place out West and sitting at 24-12.  They've played a disproportionate amount of East Coast teams so far and are about to face a much harder schedule going forward.  San Antonio is right on their heels and I sincerely doubt that the Spurs don't make the playoffs.  Phoenix has won 10 of their last 12 games and looks for real.  OKC started the season without Westbrook or Durant and look primed to make a run. 

I guess the Suns are the most likely to come in 9th in the West, but the Clippers are really looking like candidates.  Would you say there is a 29.3% chance that they come in 9th?
Great analysis.  I would say yes, there is at least a 29.3% chance that the Clippers don't make the playoffs.  It's only between them, the Suns, Spurs and Thunder so they have an excellent chance of delivering!

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 10:03:53 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Why are any of you trying to figure out how we help them?  They aren't even a lock for the playoffs,  I'm sure they will get in but WE HAVE AN UNPROTECTED FIRST!!! I for one,  don't want to make that pick worse just to get rid of Green!!!!!! You have to really hate Green for this to make sense. Yes,  Green absolutely makes them better, how is that a serious question?

For me we have to move Jeff Green above all other goals/missions. Particularly if it's the only deal we can get for Jeff Green, we have to take it.

My feelings are that it's more important to make our team suck as much as possible, rather than give the Clippers 3 or 4 more wins.

Question:
Would you rather 3rd worst this season and have the Clippers finish with the 24th pick, or have the Celtics finish 5th worst and have the Clippers with the 21st pick?

We stink WITH Green, it's not like we can get worse without him... I bet that we hold to our same rates if we do trade Green. Everyone is acting like without Green we will bottom out, what exactly has Green done to help us win games?? I bet if you replace Green with Jae (also opening minutes for Young), we might be a better team 0.0.. we will still lose but we might win a few games we probably wouldn't with Green. No, Jae isn't better than Green but he is different and we have looked better with him in for Green.

Green+5th pick+ 21st from Clips pick (can still trade Green to some other team)

or

5th pick+ 23rd pick from Clips+ a 2nd or 2+ scrubs (who we will have to cut btw)

Which looks better to you?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Why are any of you trying to figure out how we help them?  They aren't even a lock for the playoffs,  I'm sure they will get in but WE HAVE AN UNPROTECTED FIRST!!! I for one,  don't want to make that pick worse just to get rid of Green!!!!!! You have to really hate Green for this to make sense. Yes,  Green absolutely makes them better, how is that a serious question?

For me we have to move Jeff Green above all other goals/missions. Particularly if it's the only deal we can get for Jeff Green, we have to take it.

My feelings are that it's more important to make our team suck as much as possible, rather than give the Clippers 3 or 4 more wins.

Question:
Would you rather 3rd worst this season and have the Clippers finish with the 24th pick, or have the Celtics finish 5th worst and have the Clippers with the 21st pick?

I'll take the best of both worlds. I'm trading Jeff Green, but not to the clippers. Its not just that it makes the Clippers pick worse if he goes there. Its that the Clippers have nothing to entice the Cs. They have no desirable assets at all (atleast for a team thats trying to rebuild). Somebodys going to offer something good for Green. That somebody aint the Clips.

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 10:16:39 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
About as creative as I could get...
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=logfo6s

Green, Pressey
FOR
Barnes, Farmar, Bullock and Wilcox

I don't love Bullock and Wilcox, but they were the Clips last two 1st round picks.

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 10:29:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don't understand the people who do not want the Celtics to tank but want our picks form other teams to be lottery picks. Look people tanking is a tough job, you have to do it yourself and not hope others tank for you.

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 10:55:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Question:

I'll take the best of both worlds. I'm trading Jeff Green, but not to the clippers. Its not just that it makes the Clippers pick worse if he goes there. Its that the Clippers have nothing to entice the Cs. They have no desirable assets at all (atleast for a team thats trying to rebuild). Somebodys going to offer something good for Green. That somebody aint the Clips.
I agree with this idea.  move Green but not to the Clips.  I don't think moving Green will make this team any worse than it already is so it's not a matter of choosing between the C's being the third or fifth pick.  They're bad enough to end up with the 4th pick without making another move.  only teams that could finish worse - Philly, NY and Minny (depending on the return of Rubio and Pek). 
no sense improving the Clips and worsening their pick without it really benefiting us and that's not happening this year.

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Green, Pressey
FOR

I don't love Bullock and Wilcox, but they were the Clips last two 1st round picks.

why would the clippers give up pretty much 2 1st round picks for Green?

If all Danny asks for Green is a 1st round pick, either Bullock or Wilcox plus salary fillers could work. As long as Danny likes either Bullock or Wilcox

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't understand the people who do not want the Celtics to tank but want our picks form other teams to be lottery picks. Look people tanking is a tough job, you have to do it yourself and not hope others tank for you.

I want to add lottery picks to a playoff-caliber talent base, not add lottery picks to a D-League level talent base.  Trading Rondo may have made the latter more likely, but finishing at the bottom makes me think that the young players currently on the roster aren't part of the future.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2015, 12:44:30 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Green, Pressey
FOR

why would the clippers give up pretty much 2 1st round picks for Green?

If all Danny asks for Green is a 1st round pick, either Bullock or Wilcox plus salary fillers could work. As long as Danny likes either Bullock or Wilcox

They might not, but I would argue those two are worth less than the picks given up for Mozgov. They were picked #24 and #28, have fewer years of control, and haven't cracked the rotation. Meanwhile, LAC are trying to contend right now.

Some of this thread was questioning how a deal could get done with the LAC's lack of available picks. I'm pointing out that they have their last two 1sts on the roster.

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Wilcox and Bullock are pretty meh.  The Clippers probably don't have the assets to get a deal done without getting other teams involved.

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2015, 10:26:20 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
It would be counterproductive to improve the Clippers this year just to do it.

This. No way the Celtics make that pick they got from the Clippers for Doc worse. I guarantee you the one place Jeff Green isn't getting traded to is the Clips.

Funny enough though he would be their last piece of the puzzle.

I guess it's nice people think Green would improve the Clips.

You don't think he would? I think that someone who has played and thrived under Doc Rivers who gives the Clips something that they need desperately (an upgrade at wing) I think would help them. At the very least I think he'd be better than Matt Barnes.

I guess it doesn't matter because again Green's not LAC bound. Atleast not this season.

why wouldn't he improve the Clips...he won't be the best player

CP3, Blake is there best players and I think that's where Jeff Green will thrive in. Opposing team as of now playing against us is "green is our best player, take care of him and there goes a chunk of their scoring"

With him on the Clips, Jeff Green is the least important person opposing team has to worry about. You have CP3 to worry about or Blake and Jordan dunking on you
Yea I agree no trading Green to the Clips. Even Bill Simmons believes theres a chance they miss the playoffs.

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2015, 11:20:33 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Simmons is being a homer and he knows it.  They had a stretch of tough games where they basically went .500.  That's the worst you can say about the Clips.  Unless Griffin gets hurt, they're making the playoffs.

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I want to add lottery picks to a playoff-caliber talent base, not add lottery picks to a D-League level talent base.  Trading Rondo may have made the latter more likely, but finishing at the bottom makes me think that the young players currently on the roster aren't part of the future.

That would have been nice, I agree some of the young players need to be gone yesterday.   I think KO is a nice bench big man, Zeller is servicable, Smart should be kept in hopes he can develop a jump shot and Young needs to work on his defense.   The rest really IMHO need to be moved.   Sullinger has some talent but is abysmal as an athlete and a horrible defender.   I have to question his work ethic and dedication as well.  One can look at KO and see he is at least working in the weight room, one looks at Sully and it looks like he has been working out at Dunkin Donuts.

I don't see DA being able to work out a blockbuster, I hope I am wrong but I do not see it.   I think it is going to be long rebuild.