Author Topic: Mo Harkless (possible target?) idea  (Read 2944 times)

Mo Harkless (possible target?) idea
« on: January 08, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If things play out the way alot of us think (and want) then Green, Bass, Thorton, Wright and Nelson should all be gone by the deadline.

In the roster void I would like to see DA make a move for Harkless. He has fallen out of favor with the Magic coaching staff and is getting very little PT. He is only 21 and still hold alot of potential at the 3. If the Cs are left with Smart, Turner, Pressy, AB, Crowder and Young I think BS will be able to find time for Harkless.

ex PG Turner     24min, Smart    24min
     SG AB           30min, Crowder 15min, Smart 3min
     SF  Crowder 10min, Harkless 19min, Young 19min   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Mo Harkless (possible target?) idea
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:49:26 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Took a second on trade machine, something along these lines would work

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k2lv3wp

Magic get T Prince + J Adams + $$ from Memphis toward Prince buyout

Cs get Harkless + their 2016 2nd back from Memphis and future 2nd

Memphis gets J Green

Prince could also be flipped to a 4th team that has a TPE or cap room and needs a vet SF. Toronto or Bucks come to mind. Im sure LAC would love to see him bought out.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'd rather have Adams.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I just want to be able to look him in the eye and ask, "How could you be Mo Harkless?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwSF8q4jreo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 02:27:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Memphis gets J Green

Prince could also be flipped to a 4th team that has a TPE or cap room and needs a vet SF. Toronto or Bucks come to mind. Im sure LAC would love to see him bought out.
I liked Harkless in that draft but he hasn't developed as much as I think he should.  getting just him and 2 seconds for Green would tick me off to no end. 

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 02:40:35 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Memphis gets J Green

I liked Harkless in that draft but he hasn't developed as much as I think he should.  getting just him and 2 seconds for Green would tick me off to no end.

I agree its not a great return but im trying to be reasonable. There are only a few teams with a need at SF and the roster flexibility to make a deal happen. I think Harkless has the potential to grow if he gets out from under Vaughn. Bottom line is that he is 6'9 with good length and athleticism at his position. He was the 15th pick a few years ago and is still only 21. If traded for the Cs would have this season and next to try him out on a reasonable deal before he become a RFA.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 02:41:24 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
FWIW, if anything:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chat/nba-rumors-chat-with-steve-kyler-1515/

Hey, Steve

I know you’re personally close to Moe Harkless, so I was hoping you could make some sense as to why he’s been cast away from this team? It’s just a weird situation all together, especially considering Orlando exercised their Team Option to extend his contract. It’s even odder considering Aaron Gordon has been injured for almost 2 months now, so you would think he’d be getting so more run in the games.

My gut feeling about this whole situation is that he’s going to be traded here soon, or even waived possibly–unlikely. What do you think is going to happen to Moe?

Steve Kyler

I figured this would come up… so I will attempt to address as best I can.

Moe Harkless is a great guy. Seriously. Not sure you’ll find a nicer guy in the NBA. He is super talented and has gobs of potential. He just turned 22 this summer.

The front office likes Moe a lot. The locker room loves Moe, half the team is at Moe’s house on a regular basis. Elfrid, Victor, Kyle… they are all really close friends.

The problem is Moe does not play with “motor” – he never has. He didn’t play that way in high school. He didn’t play that way in college or at any point in his NBA career. He is very patient and methodical. He is very low key and somewhat passive as a personality and a player.

That is a problem for the Magic coaching staff. They have been on Moe about playing harder, faster and more aggressively and that’s just not how Moe is wired. They have always struggled with what to do with Moe and often just park him in the corner.

I think things have run their course with the coaches — its possible they give Moe another shot, but it seems like they have simply had enough of trying to motivate Moe to play like they want him to play.

That is really unfortunate because I think both Moe Harkless and Andrew Nicholson can help the Magic win games. They are both super skilled guys, but it seems that the coaches want effort more than anything and that’s not really working.

As for a trade – maybe. I think its very possible and would honestly be welcomed. No player wants to sit and be inactive, so if the Magic are not going to play him, he has to be somewhere else. He has not asked for a trade.

Here is the wrinkle. What do you get in return for him? He is not playing. He has not logged anything special this season and the staff has painted him pretty negatively.

With Aaron Gordon’s status unclear and Tobias Harris hitting free agency – do you dump Moe now while his value is low or do you let other things play out knowing you have Moe as a safety net?

Also the issue here seems to be with the coaching staff… is this staff part of the future? Will the next staff see more value in Harkless?

I think there are a lot of parts to this.

Honestly I think the Magic should send Moe to the D-League – he’d have to agree to that and I am not sure he would, but he’d get minutes and can maybe get his value up and remind people why he was a top tier pick.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd rather have Adams.

Maybe this is the reason your not a scout?   JK, man.

None of these offers appeal to me, I was hoping to get more for Green.   Boy, our guys are not held in high esteem league wide or they sense Ainge's weak position and are trying to  gank him.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I'd rather have Adams.

Maybe this is the reason your not a scout?   JK, man.

None of these offers appeal to me, I was hoping to get more for Green.   Boy, our guys are not held in high esteem league wide or they sense Ainge's weak position and are trying to  gank him.

I think the Cs are going to fall victim to a lack of demand this season. Giving a quick look I see 9 out of the 30 teams as seller. Meaning they are not looking to bring in vets but would rather send them out. Out of the remaining 21 teams many lack the roster or cap flexibility to land a player at Greens level. The structure of the cap has also raised the value of 1st round picks around the league. The fact that teams can't trade consecutive picks also limits what teams can do.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 04:56:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I like Moe Harkless but I wouldn't give up any assets for him.

Celtics need to concentrate on adding guys with star talent. Not filling roster with role players which is what Moe Harkless is and projects to be for duration of his career. A promising 3+D type player. If the Celtics can pick him up cheap in FA somewhere further down the road, I'd pursue that but I am not giving up any draft picks or trade assets to get him.

The Celtics have an interesting SF role player project in Jae Crowder already.

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Memphis gets J Green

You're gonna be p---ed when you see that Green's not fetching an amazing return once he's traded.