Author Topic: Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green  (Read 22059 times)

Re: Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

As an aside- the Memphis fans on "Grizzly Bear Blues" are having some super impressive conversations about whether it's worth it to give up Calathes or Quincy Pondexter to get back Green. Whoever it was on our board that was pitching Green, Bass, and two 2nd rounders for Marc Gasol needs to head over there and take them on, eh?

Funny that you mentioned that link and only said they were discussing Calathes or Pondexter, but failed to mention their comments on Koufus who you insist they wouldn't deal.

Keith: Talent requires talent, or at least the hope of it. That being said, I'm not sure who, outside of Kosta Koufos, Quincy Pondexter and Jon Leuer, I'd be comfortable parting with.

Andrew: As for assets that are off limits, everybody except Pondexter, Prince, Jon Leuer, and Kosta Koufos should be off limits when talking about trading for Green or Deng.

Mullinax: The only unavailable pieces as far as I am concerned are Gasol and Conley, although Randolph is almost surely an untouchable at this point as well.

Witherwax: I'd be more willing to give up Koufos (provided we get a decent backup C back somehow) or Vince Carter.

Marco: I really think Quincy Pondexter needs a change of scenery. The expiring contract of Prince might be attractive as well for the Celtics. I don't know about Koufos.

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2015, 01:43:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Aside to @ESPNSteinLine report on MEM/Green: Cavs/Bos/MEM had talked re 3-teamer that would have sent JG to MEM, Koufos to CLE, picks to BOS

So we need another team besides the cavs to get in on a 3 teamer again

If MEM was indeed willing to part with Koufos to get Green in the original scenario, I see no reason why a simple two-team deal couldn't still be a possibility.

If. We know Green's available for picks. And we can assume CLE wanted Koufos. So presumably the deal didn't happen because MEM doesn't want to part with him.

CLE could have pulled out because they preferred Mozgov, as well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Their current starting SF is Prince.

This is not true. Memphis generally starts and closes with Allen at the 3, and their most-used rotation by far is Conley-Lee-Allen-Randolph-Gasol. It is true that Tayshaun Prince or Quincy Pondexter is manning the 3 more often than not.

Koufus is their backup and is a luxury that will only play around 10 minutes per game during the playoffs.

Green would surely see more than 10 minutes per game, but it is unlikely that he would start for Memphis. It is also unlikely that Koufos would play so little.

Should Gasol go down, they're toast anyways. Green would come in and solidify the spot. That team will look significantly better with Green starting rather than Koufus watching during the playoffs.

Do you really believe that is the logic here? If Gasol goes down we're screwed anyway, so we might as well surrender and fall back to Jon Leuer?

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

Witherwax: I'd be more willing to give up Koufos (provided we get a decent backup C back somehow) or Vince Carter.

He says it right there, though, doesn't he? I mean, of course they should be willing to give him up if they can replace him in the process. I don't want to trade you my dollar for a quarter, but of course I will if you'll throw in another dollar!

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2015, 01:50:17 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Aside to @ESPNSteinLine report on MEM/Green: Cavs/Bos/MEM had talked re 3-teamer that would have sent JG to MEM, Koufos to CLE, picks to BOS

If MEM was indeed willing to part with Koufos to get Green in the original scenario, I see no reason why a simple two-team deal couldn't still be a possibility.

If. We know Green's available for picks. And we can assume CLE wanted Koufos. So presumably the deal didn't happen because MEM doesn't want to part with him.

CLE could have pulled out because they preferred Mozgov, as well.

True. I assumed during that rumor process that they'd prioritize Koufos the player over Mozgov. But two things cloud that: Mozgov's team option for next year, and his history with Blatt.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

As an aside- the Memphis fans on "Grizzly Bear Blues" are having some super impressive conversations about whether it's worth it to give up Calathes or Quincy Pondexter to get back Green. Whoever it was on our board that was pitching Green, Bass, and two 2nd rounders for Marc Gasol needs to head over there and take them on, eh?

It doesn't exactly mean that they have perspective though. It just means that fanbases overvalue their own players. That Green offer is nearly as farfetched as the Gasol deal.

This conversation is impressive? I don't suppose you meant to say unimpressive....

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2015/1/8/7514157/memphis-grizzlies-jeff-green-luol-deng-trade-rumors-stein

My sarcasm didn't quite show through there, I guess =)

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2015, 01:51:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Their current starting SF is Prince.

This is not true. Memphis generally starts and closes with Allen at the 3, and their most-used rotation by far is Conley-Lee-Allen-Randolph-Gasol. It is true that Tayshaun Prince or Quincy Pondexter is manning the 3 more often than not.

Koufus is their backup and is a luxury that will only play around 10 minutes per game during the playoffs.

Green would surely see more than 10 minutes per game, but it is unlikely that he would start for Memphis. It is also unlikely that Koufos would play so little.

Should Gasol go down, they're toast anyways. Green would come in and solidify the spot. That team will look significantly better with Green starting rather than Koufus watching during the playoffs.

Do you really believe that is the logic here? If Gasol goes down we're screwed anyway, so we might as well surrender and fall back to Jon Leuer?

Prince has been getting a lot of minutes since he returned from injury. 25 mpg since December. That's a lot of minutes for a player of Prince's waning skills.

Last season, during the playoffs (7 games) Koufus played 6.4 MPG. This isn't a surprise since Gasol is a star and stars play huge minutes during the playoffs.

You don't really think Green wouldn't start, do you?

Yes, Memphis might not win a playoff game should Gasol go down.

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

I like Koufos a lot. I think he's a low-end starting C who has flown under the radar for much of his career. If he had a longer contract, Green for Koufos/Prince would be a no-brainer and exactly the kind of deal I want to pursue. I just don't see the point of trading our expiring for another team's expirings. Just churning the roster unless we find a 3rd team taker for Koufos who has a pick to offer.

Perhaps Portland would be interested?

Yeah, I think Koufos would be an excellent FA target this summer but not trade.

He's an actual rim protector and runs the floor well. He's also young enough (25) to grow with this core if we gave him a 3-4 year deal.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

He says it right there, though, doesn't he? I mean, of course they should be willing to give him up if they can replace him in the process. I don't want to trade you my dollar for a quarter, but of course I will if you'll throw in another dollar!

Right, he did. However, why didn't you include the other comments? It's a roundtable discussion by Grizzlies fans, fans that probably know their players more than we do.

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2015, 02:05:36 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

It doesn't exactly mean that they have perspective though. It just means that fanbases overvalue their own players. That Green offer is nearly as farfetched as the Gasol deal.

This conversation is impressive? I don't suppose you meant to say unimpressive....

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2015/1/8/7514157/memphis-grizzlies-jeff-green-luol-deng-trade-rumors-stein

My sarcasm didn't quite show through there, I guess =)

It does upon reread. Not the sharpest, most objective group....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Pretty sure that Gasol "offer" was in jest.  Green+Bass+low picks for a star was the cliche Celtics homer "trade idea" for quite a while, to the point that it became a joke.

...more on topic, there's 0 chance we want Quincy Pondexter and his 3 years of contract here. 

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2015, 02:23:51 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
Prince has been getting a lot of minutes since he returned from injury. 25 mpg since December. That's a lot of minutes for a player of Prince's waning skills.

But you mean to talk about the playoffs, right? Last year they dialed Allen and Miller way up and dialed Prince down for the playoffs from about 25 mpg to 15 mpg. This year they've got Carter in the mix instead of Miller, but it's basically the same situation.

Last season, during the playoffs (7 games) Koufus played 6.4 MPG. This isn't a surprise since Gasol is a star and stars play huge minutes during the playoffs.

Absolutely true, although Gasol played an amazing number of minutes in that series (Conley was playing hurt, if I remember right, and they were running the offense through Gasol). He played more MPG than Howard, Aldridge, Griffin, Jordan, Duncan, Ibaka, Lopez, Nowitzki, etc, and wasn't particularly good. I wouldn't think they'd be so aggressive with him next time, but it's possible.

You don't really think Green wouldn't start, do you?
Yes, Memphis might not win a playoff game should Gasol go down.
I don't necessarily disagree that Memphis is toast without Gasol, I just don't think that teams are built with that kind of leverage in mind. I can't think of a case where someone has done this. Maybe you can?

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2015, 02:26:16 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mxabpr7

3 way trade with Green and Gerald Wallace to Houston, Ariza to Memphis, Boston gets Jordan Adams (and the expiring contracts of Terry and Prince)

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2015, 02:32:17 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
Right, he did. However, why didn't you include the other comments? It's a roundtable discussion by Grizzlies fans, fans that probably know their players more than we do.

I don't suppose that I put much of their conversation in my comments at all. They mostly see their players through blue glasses and we through green, which is why it's fun to go poke around over there. In their eyes, Quincy Pondexter is better than Avery Bradley, Jon Leuer is better than Kelly Olynyk, Jordan Adams is better than Marcus Smart.

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2015, 02:42:35 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mxabpr7

3 way trade with Green and Gerald Wallace to Houston, Ariza to Memphis, Boston gets Jordan Adams (and the expiring contracts of Terry and Prince)

Not sure why any NBA team wants Hank Azaria.   ;D
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."