Author Topic: Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green  (Read 22037 times)

Re: Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
What assets does Memphis have?

I guess they could trade a lottery protected first.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Koufos Koufos Koufos Koufos

The Grizzlies are not trading Koufos!!!

Would you trade your feet for a second pair of shoes?

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 09:39:45 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Just some random thoughts regarding this topic:

1) Boy it'd be pretty cold to trade someone who just came over as a free agent in Deng. You sell him on the team in the offseason, then use him as an asset 6 months later.
2) My first thought is that Memphis needs Green's offense more than Deng's defense, but looking at Deng's numbers he actually is shooting a higher percentage from 3 (Green is shooting .305!!!) and of course he has a better defensive reputation. Deng also averages 14.3 pts/game which is not bad.
3) Both players have similar contracts, 1 year + 1 year option at around 10 million.
4) It sounds like Memphis wants to bargain by keeping both options open. Time will tell if Miami and Boston can counter by enticing Detroit, Toronto, Cleveland, LAC, or even Portland.
5) I don't think Detroit is actually a real option because even though they're playing better they have to be wary of taking on a guy who has a good chance of leaving.
6) Cleveland would seem to have used all their bullets in the Mozgov trade.
7) Toronto seems logical and they might even have a chance at keeping whomever they deal for. I expect them to do something because it will be very difficult for them to improve their team otherwise. Re-signing Louis Williams and Amir Johnson (key bench guys for them) will bring them up to the estimated cap. It would be very difficult for them to sign an impact player and keep both unless that player were already on the roster, i.e. Jeff Green or Deng enters the picture. On the negative side, does either player make them an actual contender versus the Western teams? Probably not.

I'd add Phoenix and Washington to the dark horse candidates.

The Suns have a glaring hole @SF. PJ Tucker is very Crowder-esque but not enough to make noise in the playoffs. Any trade would have to include Thomas and I am not sure we like him.

Washington has nobody who could actually guard a Lebron or Butler. Paul is too slow at that point of time, Porter has potential but is still very inexperienced and his O is still a bit on the negative side.

I proposed Green+Pressey for Porter and Webster as a fanpost on the main site. Might need some kind of sweetener to Washington.

Anyway, Memphis's hand is clear - "There are enough SF on the markets. Look - Jeff and Luol are available!".
I'd expect a counter-rumor to include more willing SF buyers soon.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 09:41:09 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

I think that the Griz are going to offer their 2015 1st rounder or Adams, plus Prince, and I think that we are going to take it.

A quick note about the Griz pick- if it falls in the 6-14 range then Cleveland has the rights to it. It doesn't look like that will happen, though, but the actual transaction is going to look pretty weird to account for all of the possibilities.

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford

Koufos Koufos Koufos Koufos

The Grizzlies are not trading Koufos!!!

Would you trade your feet for a second pair of shoes?
+1 Any trade would have to include similarly capable or better center. 
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 09:46:11 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Does Green, Bass and some seconds for Gasol work?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 09:49:50 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford

I think that the Griz are going to offer their 2015 1st rounder or Adams, plus Prince, and I think that we are going to take it.

A quick note about the Griz pick- if it falls in the 6-14 range then Cleveland has the rights to it. It doesn't look like that will happen, though, but the actual transaction is going to look pretty weird to account for all of the possibilities.

I am not sure how the 2015 1st rounder could happen.

What the Nuggets (via Cle) have in their pocket is a pick with the following protection.
1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in '16, 1-5 in '17 and 1-5 in 2018; unprotected in 2019

So if I understand correctly, Griz cannot trade any 1st round pick until incl. 2019, unless the pick is transferred to the Cavs earlier.

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 09:54:43 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff

What the Nuggets (via Cle) have in their pocket is a pick with the following protection.
1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in '16, 1-5 in '17 and 1-5 in 2018; unprotected in 2019

So if I understand correctly, Griz cannot trade any 1st round pick until incl. 2019, unless the pick is transferred to the Cavs earlier.

Thanks for the reminder that it goes to Denver. Could they not trade something like the following to Boston?

1st (1-14 protected) in 2015 -> defers to 1st (1-14 protected) in 2016 -> defers to two 2nd rounders

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 10:02:10 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
How about this basic idea

Cs get L Fields, rights to DeAndre Daniels, 2019 protected 1st from Griz, 

Raptors get Prince

Memphis gets Green

The additional compensation could be tweaked in a number of ways.

The raptors could obviously also just trade for Green but this type of deal would lesson their long term cost to win now. Prince would give them a sizable upgrade over Fields and give them the big SF they lack. He also brings his playoff experience to this young roster.

Another wrinkle could be the inclusion of Bass to Toronto for Hayes if they feel he will strengthen their rotation. That could lead to the Cs getting an additional 2nd from Toronto.

I could also see the Bucks working into this. They have effectively lost Sanders and Parker for the season and are in the hunt for a playoff spot. With the youth on that roster they maybe best served tasting the playoffs to further player development. They are over 7 mill under the cap so alot of the players mentioned here Bass, Prince, Green along with Wright maybe options to keep them in the playoffs and fill the void caused by injury and personal issues.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford

Thanks for the reminder that it goes to Denver. Could they not trade something like the following to Boston?

1st (1-14 protected) in 2015 -> defers to 1st (1-14 protected) in 2016 -> defers to two 2nd rounders

You are correct, my bad! They can still trade what they own.

The pick would then be ours if it fells between
6-14 in 2015 or if not
6-14 in 2016 or if not
1-5 in 2017 or if not
1-5 in 2018 or if not - defers to two 2nd rounders.

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 10:11:28 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Prince will be rotting on the bench with Bass, Wallace, Nelson and Wright
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 10:15:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I think a trade that makes the most sense is something like

Green, Bradley

for

Prince, Lee, Adams, 2015 2nd

Trade can't be made until January 15th, but I think that is the type of trade that could get done.  I think Boston would be happy to get out of Bradley and they get a similar player in Lee back but with less years.  Memphis goes younger and way more dynamic on the wing and with Bradley being locked up long term and at a reasonable enough contract (for a team like Memphis), I think it makes sense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 10:21:19 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Green, Wallace, Pressey

for

Ariza, Terry, Papanikolaou, Knicks 2nd rd pick

Maybe cant get a first for Green but we can get the very best 2nd rounder for him? Ariza hasnt been playing weel for them, maybe they see Green as an upgrade.

We shed Wallace's contract. We get stuck with Ariza, but he would be much easier to unload on a western conferfence contender at the deadline.

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I would deal Green for a 2019 first and Tayshaun. Then we can buy out Tayshaun or find a third team to take him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 10:34:53 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Leurer would be an upgrade for us in some ways and fit CBS style.  I hope we do not get Adams with the 24.5 Standing vertical, we have enough guys who can't run or jump.