Author Topic: Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green  (Read 21903 times)

Re: Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 01:51:40 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Also, this article might be something worth looking at.  I don't agree 100% with the author's options - but there is some merit to the ideas he presents:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/lets-trade-celtics-forward-jeff-green/

Great read. Recommend it to others. Thanks.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 01:55:46 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
please please please please pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase  someone make this happen.

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 02:35:33 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think Detroit's resurgence makes them a prime target for a Green trade. I'm betting they really want to make the playoffs, and this year's weak East gives them a prime opportunity to do it.

Bos: Jerebko, Datome, Detroit's 2015 1st top 5 protected

Det: Green, Mavs 2015 Conditional 1st rounder or Clips 2015 1st rounder (preferably Mavs since it will most likely be a 2016 pick and we have three other picks that draft already)

Get it done, Danny. Hopefully they'd miss out on the playoffs and we'd get another lottery pick this year.

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 04:23:07 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He has really struggled since Rondo left. His shooting % is down from his career avg's (43%fg/career 44% fg, 31 % 3pt/ career 34% 3 pt) . He is also down to 18ppg and dropping.

I would be happy with a late 1st pick, but more likely a 2nd . Get him out of here and make room for young and crowder.
Honestly I think his struggles have more to do with the painful realization that he's a sitting duck.  As soon as Rondo was moved, it was blatantly clear Green and Bass were on their way out as well.  There's very little chance those guys are still Celtics after the trade deadline.  I've said it a bunch already, but it's pretty clear to me that Green will be moved to the very first team willing to offer a late 1st... and if no team steps up to the plate, he's gone for an expiring contract and 2nd rounder.   

It's hard to focus when you know you're on a tanking team that doesn't have you as part of their future.

Also... law of averages said Green was going to struggle.  Players don't typically "make the leap" at age 28.   There might be a few aberrations like Steve Nash, but generally players are who they are at that point.  When he started the season super hot and consistent, it was inevitable he'd have a string of bad games.   

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 06:40:43 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Also, this article might be something worth looking at.  I don't agree 100% with the author's options - but there is some merit to the ideas he presents:

Merit? Sure. But the author is clearly a Celtics fan. So we're getting pie in the sky proposals for a guy whose peak value is a 2nd rounder and expiring contract.

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 07:24:56 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
He has really struggled since Rondo left. His shooting % is down from his career avg's (43%fg/career 44% fg, 31 % 3pt/ career 34% 3 pt) . He is also down to 18ppg and dropping.

I would be happy with a late 1st pick, but more likely a 2nd . Get him out of here and make room for young and crowder.
Honestly I think his struggles have more to do with the painful realization that he's a sitting duck.  As soon as Rondo was moved, it was blatantly clear Green and Bass were on their way out as well.  There's very little chance those guys are still Celtics after the trade deadline.  I've said it a bunch already, but it's pretty clear to me that Green will be moved to the very first team willing to offer a late 1st... and if no team steps up to the plate, he's gone for an expiring contract and 2nd rounder.   

It's hard to focus when you know you're on a tanking team that doesn't have you as part of their future.

Also... law of averages said Green was going to struggle.  Players don't typically "make the leap" at age 28.   There might be a few aberrations like Steve Nash, but generally players are who they are at that point.  When he started the season super hot and consistent, it was inevitable he'd have a string of bad games.
agree (and we hardly ever do!)
I think the team mindset went down the tubes when rondo was dealt.  It was a very clear message to the vets that you are all going to be traded.  (maybe not turner for what he signed for) and it was also a message to everyone on team, we are tanking and any of you can be traded for a long range rebuild plan
If Jeff does go to Memphis I'd be happy for him and it would be a smart move for memphis.  Gives them a strong starting lineup, he'll benefit from playing with conley and gasol, floor spreading passers.  Sadly Ainge has lost nearly all leverage as a trader at this point of season.  So if Memphis can get a quality starting sf for a second round draft pick AMAZING.

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 07:35:54 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Some diferent ideas but I think he ultimetly places to much value in Green. We have seen what the market pays for guys becoming free agents.

I expect a Prince + 2 2nd round picks to be the return for Green (unless a 3rd team is involved and Cs look to move a few assets to land a more long term piece.)

While Memphis is the logical destination for Green I think Toronto could be a hidden horse in this race. Their GM recently made a quote about the weakness in the East being an opportunity to make some noise in the playoffs. They have some expiring deal to facilitate a trade and I expect them to do something.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Just some random thoughts regarding this topic:

1) Boy it'd be pretty cold to trade someone who just came over as a free agent in Deng. You sell him on the team in the offseason, then use him as an asset 6 months later.
2) My first thought is that Memphis needs Green's offense more than Deng's defense, but looking at Deng's numbers he actually is shooting a higher percentage from 3 (Green is shooting .305!!!) and of course he has a better defensive reputation. Deng also averages 14.3 pts/game which is not bad.
3) Both players have similar contracts, 1 year + 1 year option at around 10 million.
4) It sounds like Memphis wants to bargain by keeping both options open. Time will tell if Miami and Boston can counter by enticing Detroit, Toronto, Cleveland, LAC, or even Portland.
5) I don't think Detroit is actually a real option because even though they're playing better they have to be wary of taking on a guy who has a good chance of leaving.
6) Cleveland would seem to have used all their bullets in the Mozgov trade.
7) Toronto seems logical and they might even have a chance at keeping whomever they deal for. I expect them to do something because it will be very difficult for them to improve their team otherwise. Re-signing Louis Williams and Amir Johnson (key bench guys for them) will bring them up to the estimated cap. It would be very difficult for them to sign an impact player and keep both unless that player were already on the roster, i.e. Jeff Green or Deng enters the picture. On the negative side, does either player make them an actual contender versus the Western teams? Probably not.

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 08:22:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't know why Miami would trade Deng.  Good player, good teammate, reasonable contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Just some random thoughts regarding this topic:

1) Boy it'd be pretty cold to trade someone who just came over as a free agent in Deng. You sell him on the team in the offseason, then use him as an asset 6 months later.
2) My first thought is that Memphis needs Green's offense more than Deng's defense, but looking at Deng's numbers he actually is shooting a higher percentage from 3 (Green is shooting .305!!!) and of course he has a better defensive reputation. Deng also averages 14.3 pts/game which is not bad.
3) Both players have similar contracts, 1 year + 1 year option at around 10 million.
4) It sounds like Memphis wants to bargain by keeping both options open. Time will tell if Miami and Boston can counter by enticing Detroit, Toronto, Cleveland, LAC, or even Portland.
5) I don't think Detroit is actually a real option because even though they're playing better they have to be wary of taking on a guy who has a good chance of leaving.
6) Cleveland would seem to have used all their bullets in the Mozgov trade.
7) Toronto seems logical and they might even have a chance at keeping whomever they deal for. I expect them to do something because it will be very difficult for them to improve their team otherwise. Re-signing Louis Williams and Amir Johnson (key bench guys for them) will bring them up to the estimated cap. It would be very difficult for them to sign an impact player and keep both unless that player were already on the roster, i.e. Jeff Green or Deng enters the picture. On the negative side, does either player make them an actual contender versus the Western teams? Probably not.

Green would likely do better by not being the top offensive weapon. Everyone says he's be best as a 3rd  or 4th option not 1st or 2nd. He'd fit in there
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Memphis
Green (fills a need)
Nelson (upgrade over their current backup PG Beno)
Two 2nd rd draft picks in 2016 (Cavs, Dallas, or Miami)

Boston
Koufus (rumored to be looking for similar package to Mozgov)
Prince (buyout candidate)

This gives us a legitimate young rim protector. We would need to also move Bass and/or Wright in order to have a big rotation of Sullinger, Koufus, Olynyk, and Zeller.

Note: Trade has to be done independently from each other since Nelson can't be traded just yet as part of a multi-player deal. So Green for Prince (which, also gives us a small TPE) and Nelson for Koufus.

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 08:59:56 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Memphis
Green (fills a need)

Boston

This gives us a legitimate young rim protector. We would need to also move Bass and/or Wright in order to have a big rotation of Sullinger, Koufus, Olynyk, and Zeller.

Note: Trade has to be done independently from each other since Nelson can't be traded just yet as part of a multi-player deal. So Green for Prince (which, also gives us a small TPE) and Nelson for Koufus.

Why not just put Bass in the deal instead of nelson? Money doesn't work?

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 09:01:54 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
can we sneaky sneaky a late first rounder for Green? or are we settled for players + 2 2nd rounders?

so say we do trade Green, who starts? I think Young will definitely get more playing time if Green were to be traded. So does Jae Crowder starts? Gerald Wallace comes off the bench?

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 09:06:35 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Memphis
Green (fills a need)

Boston

Why not just put Bass in the deal instead of nelson? Money doesn't work?

Exactly.

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If the Griz deal Prince, it wouldn't make sense as they need MORE wing help

If that's the case, why trade one wing player for another?

I am noticing the Grizzlies of a surplus of guards so this could work

Celts get: Koufos, Pondexter, Udrih and Leurer
Griz get: Green and Zeller.