Author Topic: Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green  (Read 21989 times)

Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:32:45 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Marc Stein ?@ESPNSteinLine  4m4 minutes ago
Story going online now: ESPN sources say Grizzlies, looking to bolster wing rotation, are pursuing trade for either Luol Deng or Jeff Green

Link: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12135696/memphis-grizzlies-actively-trying-acquire-luol-deng-jeff-green

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:44:19 AM by sed522002 »

Re: Grizzlies may be looking to trade for Luol or Jeff Green
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:35:44 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
What would they have that we'd want?  Prince matches well for salary purposes but I think they've got a protected 1st out there so may be unable to give us one.  Jordan Adams?  Meh.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 12:37:40 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Interesting.  Prince's expiring and a 2nd rounder probably gets it done for Boston.  Heat will want actual basketball players.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:55 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Interesting.  Prince's expiring and a 2nd rounder probably gets it done for Boston.  Heat will want actual basketball players.

I'd prefer someone worse than Prince so we can stick them at the end of the bench to open up the rotation, and two 2nds.

edit: besides, Grizz probably want to keep Prince and have him backup Green.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:40:28 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Good news. I like Jeff... definitely frustrating at times... but I do like him. Nonetheless, would be nice to trade him to a team that is contacting us. Maybe their motivation could net us a first. Don't know what Memphis has to offer, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:41:00 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I'd prefer someone worse than Prince so we can stick them at the end of the bench to open up the rotation, and two 2nds.

they would likely buy him out so he can join a contender . Buy out thorton and Nelson too ;D

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:42:44 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

We'd just buy out prince.  We will buy out the vets we are unable to trade by the deadline.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:45:07 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
He has really struggled since Rondo left. His shooting % is down from his career avg's (43%fg/career 44% fg, 31 % 3pt/ career 34% 3 pt) . He is also down to 18ppg and dropping.

I would be happy with a late 1st pick, but more likely a 2nd . Get him out of here and make room for young and crowder.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 01:16:22 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Marc Stein ?@ESPNSteinLine  4m4 minutes ago
Story going online now: ESPN sources say Grizzlies, looking to bolster wing rotation, are pursuing trade for either Luol Deng or Jeff Green

Link: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12135696/memphis-grizzlies-actively-trying-acquire-luol-deng-jeff-green

While I understand Memphis' interest in Green, why would Miami want to trade Luol Deng?  Who's going to replace his production as a starter?  Yes, Danny Granger looked amazing off their bench for 5 games, only to go 2-13 in his last two, so I highly doubt that they would start him.  Talk about a medical staff earning their money, lol. 

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 01:18:26 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

We'd just buy out prince.  We will buy out the vets we are unable to trade by the deadline.

We can only hope, lol. ;D Well, aside from Wallace, anyway. ::)  Ugh.  The expiring contract of a player who's been bought out still comes off the books after the season, right? 

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 01:29:34 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Works on ESPN Trade Machine:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pahcg3j

Memphis gets Jeff Green
Boston gets Tayshaun Prince and Jarnell Stokes (and I'd ask for a couple 2nd rounders)

Prince's contract comes off the books.  Stokes has more upside Jordan Adams, in my opinion.  But I LOVED Stokes in college and think he has a nice low-post game.  He's struggled this year, but I still would like him.  He's on the books next year for 845K - but then his 3rd year is non-guaranteed.  So the salary exchange would play out our way, especially if Green would decide to pick up his player option (which might be a 50/50 shot now).

Any thought of Jeff Green wanting to exercise his player option with us is now gone.  We still clean more salary off the books.  We give Crowder a good look the rest of the season.  We continue the rebuild for the 2015-16 offseason...

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 01:35:54 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Memphis gets Jeff Green
Boston gets Tayshaun Prince and Jarnell Stokes (and I'd ask for a couple 2nd rounders)

Prince's contract comes off the books.  Stokes has more upside Jordan Adams, in my opinion.  But I LOVED Stokes in college and think he has a nice low-post game.  He's struggled this year, but I still would like him.  He's on the books next year for 845K - but then his 3rd year is non-guaranteed.  So the salary exchange would play out our way, especially if Green would decide to pick up his player option (which might be a 50/50 shot now).

Any thought of Jeff Green wanting to exercise his player option with us is now gone.  We still clean more salary off the books.  We give Crowder a good look the rest of the season.  We continue the rebuild for the 2015-16 offseason...

Size, again, could be an issue. He is listed anywhere between 6'6" and 6'9". And I loved him in college too. Lived in TN when he was there, saw quite a bit of him. Tough, skilled... just could be on the small side for his position. Would say he plays above his size, though, like Sully at times.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 01:40:52 AM »

• Jaylen Brown

Memphis gets Jeff Green

Size, again, could be an issue. He is listed anywhere between 6'6" and 6'9". And I loved him in college too. Lived in TN when he was there, saw quite a bit of him. Tough, skilled... just could be on the small side for his position. Would say he plays above his size, though, like Sully at times.

Very valid point.  I wish he were 6-11 rather than 6-9.  He's struggled with fouls in limited minutes.  But any point of trading Jeff Green for something in return is probably a moot point.  It would make me happy just to get the assurance we wouldn't have to deal with the possibility of him exercising his player option.  And Crowder is really making an impact here with his hustle.  I'd love to see him get an extended look.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 01:42:35 AM »

• Jaylen Brown
Also, this article might be something worth looking at.  I don't agree 100% with the author's options - but there is some merit to the ideas he presents:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/lets-trade-celtics-forward-jeff-green/

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 01:46:18 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Memphis gets Jeff Green

Very valid point.  I wish he were 6-11 rather than 6-9.  He's struggled with fouls in limited minutes.  But any point of trading Jeff Green for something in return is probably a moot point.  It would make me happy just to get the assurance we wouldn't have to deal with the possibility of him exercising his player option.  And Crowder is really making an impact here with his hustle.  I'd love to see him get an extended look.

I agree. Even if a lot of people consider Crowder to be best suited off the bench, during a rebuild stage he is the type of guy I'd love to see on the court more often than not. Ironically, even if he isn't talented enough to start at his position on most NBA teams, what he gives us at this stage in our development seem to be what we need & very helpful.